Getting stiffed on car value by insurance...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
If there was an abundant choice of them then I would agree, you would want to be haggling plenty off. But with a car that is seemingly quite uncommon, you can only push so far - if you don't manage to do a deal with someone - well, there isn't another four to go look at the next day.

As Stevie says, they're just expecting me to take a loss. CRASH have admitted to me on the phone that they can't find one for the figures either. I've got another assessor coming tomorrow, for what difference that might make.

A lot has been said about that I got this one (the car now damaged) through the trade - so perhaps that point needs expounded a little. It's good that questions are asked, it brings things to light.
So I paid well below market value on it. We all knew that. A combination of the car having been a courtesy car, possibly a bit thrashed, with a months MOT left and mis-matched wheels, stickers to pull off, plus being sold to me in trade, as-is, from someone local my family have dealt with a lot, via my friend that runs the garage attached to the sales site... there was a lot of factors keeping the price down.
Immediately it was fixed up for the MOT, a few repairs done, original wheels sourced, decals removed and polished and waxed, etc - turned it into a decent wee car again.
Now that's not repeatable, barring some other extremely fortunate collaboration of coincidences, which is not impossible, but highly unlikely. That garage my friend runs only had one Fiesta, no more to offer. I've had the word out among my trade contacts for two weeks and not had a single Ford offered - except that "Ford Megane" someone tried to convince me into :laughing:
So the point comes down to, really, not what I paid for the car - but what it is worth. And I have to replace it. We need it. We used it every day. Unless the speedo is broken, the hire car has over 1500 miles on it in the 2 weeks it's been here! It's worth is what it will cost to replace - and at short notice too. I don't have two months to wait for a bargain to turn up, so whatever it will cost to replace it, within a few days, with one in equal good condition (nobody is claiming it's concours) and ready to be put into action daily - that's what the car is worth. Which, according to Glass' Guide, is £1375 - and, according to actual cars for sale, is £1600-2000.

I don't think that it is right that I should suffer a loss in finances of any amount (in this case around £300) nor that insurance should expect me to.
If it was my £12k Range Rover (in my head :laughing: ) and they were offering me £10k and no more, with the cheapest equivalent on the market also £12k - should I be expected to pick up the £2k tab? When it was all caused by someone else? It's this point that I am challenging.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
What you paid is irrelevant, don't know why anyone is even mentioning that. You know the vehicle and had it right, going out to buy another at that age and money is hassle, and you shouldn't be loosing out. Having said that, life sucks sometimes! Try and bring them up a bit and do a deal, you might not get exactly what you feel you should, but its probably not worth labouring too long over. As has already been said most people don't argue too much because they're probably intending to get £5k of a whiplash claim (not condoning it at all, just saying).

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
It is 100% the cost of replacement that is important. Doesn't matter if you fell lucky getting it via your trade mates or from a generous relative. If you had to replace It, you need a fair current value. For the last few cars that we had involved in accidents, we either did a cash deal and took a bath or just let it go and took a bigger bath. I have enough ***** to be dealing with without loosing chunks of my life negotiating for a few hundred quid.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
For the last few cars that we had involved in accidents, we either did a cash deal and took a bath or just let it go and took a bigger bath. I have enough ***** to be dealing with without loosing chunks of my life negotiating for a few hundred quid.

And that is why it is easier for insurance to screw everyone over. Because they know if they make it awkward enough, it can save them millions vs doing the right thing.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Second engineer was out this morning. We were talking about it - he actually valued the car at less than the previous guy - but was also in agreement with me that Glass' is a starting point. He gave me a case in point of Audi A4s, especially around 4 y.o., that are making up to a grand more then "book" and the insurance are paying out at that, but on the same principle, that the higher price is what they are selling for. It has to be backed up with evidence though, and he said he would spend a bit of time over the weekend looking through the websites for one. I told him of course to get in touch with the lady I've alreayd emailed loads of that info to.

So, yes, sometimes, with good enough evidence, they will pay out "over book".

So I have them on a challenge. Get me enough money to replace it, or keep it as a Cat S (structural) and not a Cat B so I can repair it.

NotKG

Banned
i had a wee A170d merc 6 weeks when i got Tboned, insurance found the ad on gumtree that was deleted and invisible to me. read out the whole thing word for word. it said it was due a service, which i got done, fitted 2 tyres, and got the timing belt done. with receipts. they offered me £150 less than i paid for it.

sneaky underhand lowlifes insurance companies. ended up total of £900 loss.

sometimes better loosing £900 on a £20k car than a £1000- £2000 car.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Second engineer... £1400 pav (pre accident value)
£200 salvage on the wee fizzle as a cat s
Or £70 as a cat b, surrender the v5 but keep shell to do with as you wish (so I could keep the wheels, cut the cat off, keep some spares for next one...)

Time to draw a line under it.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Second engineer... £1400 pav (pre accident value)
£200 salvage on the wee fizzle as a cat s
Or £70 as a cat b, surrender the v5 but keep shell to do with as you wish (so I could keep the wheels, cut the cat off, keep some spares for next one...)

Time to draw a line under it.

So for the 2nd scenario, are they going to pay out £1330, and you keep the car (but can't put it back on the road)?

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Yes, so my three options:
A. £1400 cash, CRASH take the Fiesta away
B. £1330 cash, keep the Fiesta, CRASH take the V5 away
C. £1200 cash, keep the Fiesta and the V5, Cat S marker, fix it

I've gone for option B - this of course now all depends on whether AXA agree to the report and pay out. JMK Solicitors are literally just off the phone confirming my choice and they will put that to them today.
I should imagine they will pay out as arguing over £100 or so isn't worth AXA's time when we've still a brand new hire car here. That I will get to keep for up to 7 days after payout to give me time to source another vehicle, which I think is reasonable enough.

One other note is that CRASH did say they would put the hire car on to my insurance and inform them also. I rang my broker up and they were REALLY annoyed because while CRASH had managed to ring and add the hire car on to my policy, they hadn't told them that there was an accident. That's a stipulation of my policy and probably many others, so for note's sake, anyone else going through this should just ring and check themselves that your insurer knows, because if the liable party decides to change their mind and deny liability, your insurer might all of a sudden get contacted about something they are not aware of, and they don't like that!

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Bit more effort involved in breaking it etc, but not a bad result for you. As long as your content.

I was out over £1500 on my B5 S4 a couple of years. Although it was the type of car that probably should have had an agreed value policy to be fair.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.