Gloss black wheels - wheel sealant

davyk31

RMS Regular
Have gloss black wheels which look amazing when just washed but very quickly get a lot of brake dust on them which dulls the finish. Anything I can do to keep them looking a bit brighter.

Polished them today with Black Hole and thinking of applying some kid of sealant to see if it would keep them cleaner. Any recommnedations?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Gyeon Rims is probably the best product all things considered (durability, effectiveness, cost, ease of application etc) .

Gtechniq C5 (I think it's C5) Wheel Armour is probably the best but can be fussy re application from experience.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Gyeon Rims is probably the best product all things considered (durability, effectiveness, cost, ease of application etc) .

Gtechniq C5 (I think it's C5) Wheel Armour is probably the best but can be fussy re application from experience.

I'd agree with what Paddy said on the Gtechniq products. I have it applied on the R32 wheels, which were freshly refurbished. It has worked well and they are incredibly easy to clean.

Another option if you don't want much fuss is Poorboys Wheel Sealant. It's just like a wax so easy to apply, leave it to cure and buff off. Naturally the other products are more durable.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I would definitely ceramic them, gloss black wheels are a nightmare to keep, so the ceramics offer that more durable and harder protection and the self cleaning nature of them ensures you can remove most of the dirt before touching them.

Gyeon Q2 Rim is my go to.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Is the Gyeon product easy enough to apply or anything special about it?

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Is the Gyeon product easy enough to apply or anything special about it?
Make sure wheel is completely free from any contamination and dirt and bone dry, do a few panel wipes before as well,
it is a wipe on wipe off product, watch a few videos on youtube to get an idea

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I've always found Gyeon Rims very easy to work with. Clean wheel very well (fallout remover etc) wipe with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any waxs etc that may have been in the wash you used to clean originally then apply as directed.

I coated these wheels with Gyeon Rims when new and this was them after a basic wash around 18 months later:

IMG_20190127_151036.jpg

IMG_20190127_152013.jpg

Andy55

RMS Regular
I’m planning to coat a set of 18” wheels in Gtechniq C5.
Should I go with the 15ml or 30ml bottle?

MarkM

RMS Regular
Having used Gyeon rims and auto finesse caramics wheels, Gyeon is a poor second place For me, application and durability just aren’t on par with the unappreciated Caramics stuff on diamond cut wheels anyway!

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Having used Gyeon rims and auto finesse caramics wheels, Gyeon is a poor second place For me, application and durability just aren’t on par with the unappreciated Caramics stuff on diamond cut wheels anyway!

Interesting. I just recently coated wheels with Gyeon Rim. Will have to see how they hold up having used Gtechniq a couple of times in the past!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular

I've had Gyeon Rims on the Scooby wheels for around 3 years now (possibly 4 years) and they're still a breeze to clean... Like wipe with a wash mitt and they're pretty much spotless bar a few very small tar spots. Had it on the Golf R wheels as picture a few posts ago and again only ever cleaned with soapy water and they came up like new, only had those wheels for 18 Mo this though. Application is a breeze too so not sure what you're expecting. Have Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour on the Mercedes as @big_pete put it on when I got the car ceramic coated and I have to say a year on its still working well.

MarkM

RMS Regular
I've had Gyeon Rims on the Scooby wheels for around 3 years now (possibly 4 years) and they're still a breeze to clean... Like wipe with a wash mitt and they're pretty much spotless bar a few very small tar spots. Had it on the Golf R wheels as picture a few posts ago and again only ever cleaned with soapy water and they came up like new, only had those wheels for 18 Mo this though. Application is a breeze too so not sure what you're expecting. Have Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour on the Mercedes as @big_pete put it on when I got the car ceramic coated and I have to say a year on its still working well.

Not ‘expecting’ anything, just actually comparing two products myself and find Gyeon not nearly as good. Application for the caramics for a start is much more simple and faster, spray on and wipe off, it also lasted much longer, water beading and ease of cleaning is so much better, Gyeon needs agitated and auto finesse basically just needs the power washer and they’re clean!
I bought another caramics kit and the Gyeon bottle is practically full, says it all :grinning: Works for me

Last edited: