GOLF G60

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
You'd also find it much more usable and enjoyable with less lag and better midrange. Perhaps its good that you have grown out of wanting this with insane power, a lot of build I see where they chase power too much end up barely using the thing.

This has always been my fear over the past number of years. I ask myself do I regret what I have done and I do to be honest I should of just got the car painted and changed wheels. I chased the dream of building a 1000bhp VR Turbo and for what reason only to say I have a 1000bhp Golf which is sh1te to drive and I hate it. This train of thought has come back recently and I now think 600bhp is to much but as I have 90% of engine bits there so I will continue on with it and get it finished and maybe I can look at having three different maps on it to make it enjoyable to drive.

More progress will be made in the coming weeks with the boot floor being fitted and now that I am committed to finishing the 16V Turbo the downpipe and manifold will be next and that will see the engine side of things finished and it will be a matter of hard piping the boost hoses. Then it will be a matter of putting the car back on the spit and getting the underside painted along with adding fuel lines and brake pipes and then bolting everything in as it should at its at this point it can go back on all four wheels I hope to be at this point in a few weeks time.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Unless you plan to go drag racing or something then anything even approaching 1000bhp is really just pointless.

Unless you plan to do sprints or hill climbs or something like that, then arguably anything north of 400bhp would be a bit pointless too.

To be honest, for just driving around nice places and running the odd B-road, 300 would be more than plenty. And much more usable.

It's only really the size and weight of modern cars that drive this "need" for bigger numbers.

This car will probably weigh half of modern "performance cars".

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
This has always been my fear over the past number of years. I ask myself do I regret what I have done and I do to be honest I should of just got the car painted and changed wheels. I chased the dream of building a 1000bhp VR Turbo and for what reason only to say I have a 1000bhp Golf which is sh1te to drive and I hate it. This train of thought has come back recently and I now think 600bhp is to much but as I have 90% of engine bits there so I will continue on with it and get it finished and maybe I can look at having three different maps on it to make it enjoyable to drive.
I am quite sure this is what would have happened had you continued. But at least now you have a chance to build a car that could be great to drive.

500hp in mine is perfectly usable but I think I'd run into issues around 550hp, not just in putting the power down but also to gain that extra power means bigger turbos, which means higher boost threshold, more lag, less responsive.

Maps are all well and good, but the turbo sizing needs to be such that it can only just achieve the max power, this way the boost threshold at least remains usable and the throttle response is decent, I've learnt that this is key to a fun turbo powered road car. My car has power and torque all the way up to over 5000rpm than a similar car whose owner I know in England who runs over 650hp. In most circumstances my car is faster and while mine puts the power down well his spins up badly. On a drag strip his will likely be quicker but I know which I'd rather have on the road. (Regarding maps, I have two, one full power 1.55 bar and one 1 bar map, probably around 400hp, interestingly I use the lower power map the majority of the time, not because the power is unusable or problematic on full boost, but just that I really don't need any more power than that most of the time)

Given you have two extra wheels to help put the power down its not unreasonable to assume that you could use 550-600hp, but then you have a smaller capacity engine, which means less cc to get a turbo up to speed.

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@svensktoppen The 1000BHP was in my previous engine the VR6 Turbo had I ran with that my car would of spent more time in the garage than on the road. I think a good reliable 450-500bhp would be more than enough as mentioned I just want to get the car out and enjoy it again its been far far to long sat doing noting.

@EF Ian I agree with what your saying. Unlike the car in England your`s would be a pleasure to drive on the roads as its able to put the power down the other would just be a mess yes once it grips it would be a very fast car but that would get boring very quick as each and every time you berry the foot it spins up that would not make for a nice driving car at all.

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
A little further progress made today.

D8CD3143-6D01-4A0B-9285-6D5895A27645.jpeg

497A2024-9CE7-478E-AD92-0AC32AF9C629.jpeg

IMG_5541.jpeg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Looks like good progress (y)

My build is kind of stuck without progress. Dave says it won't be back in the shop until May or later. I am considering collecting it and finishing it in my garage. Had enough of it messing up my life. I want it done this year.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Sounds like he's had enough of it too 😇

These this happen, can only have a car tying up a bay for so long before it has to give way to other work for a while.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Just that he has other cars that require finishing, thats how he works, does cars in stages and always has a bunch of cars in storage at different stages of completion. I can't complain too much, only way I was able to pay for the work was because of the breaks in-between stages.

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
My build is kind of stuck without progress. Dave says it won't be back in the shop until May or later. I am considering collecting it and finishing it in my garage. Had enough of it messing up my life. I want it done this year.

This is what kinda happened mine over the 16 year span. I paid for work to be done it never got done I never got money back. This car is been a bad omen I should of just painted it years ago and left the G60 init. I have had lie after lie after lie and after each lie became a promise by someone else they could do the work and it never happened.

Thankfully that is not the case now and the guys who promise they can do work are doing it so this had turned things around again. Progress is being made and i'm seeing results of it which is a positive.

@EF Ian is there much more left todo and are you in the position to go collect and finish it? The last thing you want to do is end up like me.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
There is about a 2hr metal work job left. After that its just seam sealing, priming, skim of filler, hours of sanding etc.

I could finish the bodywork stage in my garage all the way through to final primer, then once thats sanded ready I can stick it on a trailer and take it straight to the booth at AG Automotive to apply the topcoats. Then back to mine for colour sanding.

But since it needs the suspension etc. put back on so it can be transported and since Dave already has a rotisserie for it, ideally he would at least finish the underneath and interior first, but I've yet to discuss any of this, awaiting an email from him with his planned completion time, and will go from there. I'd get it back this year fort sure if I left it, but getting the shell ready is only a small step, I've got a load to do after that so I really need it back well before the end of the year. I don't want it taking over my life anymore, just want it done.