Golf GTD

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Evening all!
So our Cooper S just wasn’t cutting it after only getting it 6/7 months ago. To be honest, I knew it wasn’t right about a month after getting it but seeing as I didn’t drive it everyday, I thought I’ll let it slide and worry about it in a year or so. It did everything well, took us to Dublin comfortably with a few suitcases and was a hoot to drive. Alas, when my wife said she wasn’t keen, that was like a green light to go car shopping!

I looked at many, some good, some not so good GTD’s. I love Carbon Grey and wanted to hold out for the right car. The first was in Ballyrobert on sunny Sunday afternoon with no salesman pestering us lol. For a car with 15k miles, I wasn’t impressed. Looked at others and they came and went, probably missed a few good ones including a DSG in Philips.

Fast forward to last Saturday, we viewed one in TJ Hamilton. Not exactly close (1.5hrs away!). However, the saleman has sent me a wee video on Friday and it looked good. Took it a decent spin on Saturday where he encouraged me to ‘drive’ it (within speed limits of course)
We went back to discuss figures, the not so good part. Anyway, after a lot of phone calls discussing what needed done to the car and price, we secured it on Thursday.

Hope to pick it up next Saturday, followed by a road trip up the North Coast after! Can’t wait!

Some specs
Nav model
Keyless entry/start
Heated seats
Better quality screen pixelation (is that a word?)
Tartan cloth (preferred this over leather)
All the other GTD stuff, sensors front and rear etc.

Here’s a few pictures from the day
F63945E5-73C4-440B-B8F3-2246B648778D.jpeg
CFFA6CF7-36B5-4872-8E39-4DA4256DAC30.jpeg

No real plans as it sits as I want it. However, would like to maybe change the wheels to Santiago’s when the tyres wear down on this set. Means I can take them with me to a mk7.5!
A decent clean and just enjoy it really.

I’ll update when I get it next week
Michael

Last edited:

Michael M

RMS Regular
OP
Michael M
Drives
VW Golfs
Have to admit, it was a photo on one of the car care threads that made me want it if I ever changed to one. I can’t remember who’s it was but it looked amazing in the sun!

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
That is lovely, I'm very sure you will be 100% happy owning that:grinning:
Enjoy(y)

Oh BTW Santiagos would look awesome on it, make it happen

Michael M

RMS Regular
OP
Michael M
Drives
VW Golfs
That is lovely, I'm very sure you will be 100% happy owning that:grinning:
Enjoy(y)

Oh BTW Santiagos would look awesome on it, make it happen

There’s Michelin all round and my wife does the school run with a couple of road trips over the summer. Might be waiting a while lol. Time to save up!

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Looks superb. Welcome to the GTD club.

Good spec you have got! Bigger screen is the Discovery Pro.

Looks quite similar to my dads. I’ll not pollute your thread, but I fitted a GTI Clubsport Exhaust to his. ;)

6C65A479-AEE0-44F4-82BA-B4AA01F00E44.jpeg

Jet9

RMS Regular
Evening all!
So our Cooper S just wasn’t cutting it after only getting it 6/7 months ago. To be honest, I knew it wasn’t right about a month after getting it but seeing as I didn’t drive it everyday, I thought I’ll let it slide and worry about it in a year or so. It did everything well, took us to Dublin comfortably with a few suitcases and was a hoot to drive. Alas, when my wife said she wasn’t keen, that was like a green light to go car shopping!

I looked at many, some good, some not so good GTD’s. I love Carbon Grey and wanted to hold out for the right car. The first was in Ballyrobert on sunny Sunday afternoon with no salesman pestering us lol. For a car with 15k miles, I wasn’t impressed. Looked at others and they came and went, probably missed a few good ones including a DSG in Philips.

Fast forward to last Saturday, we viewed one in TJ Hamilton. Not exactly close (1.5hrs away!). However, the saleman has sent me a wee video on Friday and it looked good. Took it a decent spin on Saturday where he encouraged me to ‘drive’ it (within speed limits of course)
We went back to discuss figures, the not so good part. Anyway, after a lot of phone calls discussing what needed done to the car and price, we secured it on Thursday.

Hope to pick it up next Saturday, followed by a road trip up the North Coast after! Can’t wait!

Some specs
Nav model
Keyless entry/start
Heated seats
Better quality screen pixelation (is that a word?)
Tartan cloth (preferred this over leather)
All the other GTD stuff, sensors front and rear etc.

Here’s a few pictures from the day
View attachment 210217 View attachment 210218

No real plans as it sits as I want it. However, would like to maybe change the wheels to Santiago’s when the tyres wear down on this set. Means I can take them with me to a mk7.5!
A decent clean and just enjoy it really.

I’ll update when I get it next week
Michael
Lovely car.

Last edited:

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
Stunning, the GTD is a great all rounder and Carbon Grey a stunning colour. :cool:
Do regret selling mine sometimes..

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

pinto200

RMS Regular
really like my GTD, does everything so well. I’ve had it 13 months and thought about changing to an R recently but don’t fancy 25mpg less.

Michael M

RMS Regular
OP
Michael M
Drives
VW Golfs
Collection day! Couldn’t have picked a poorer day, started raining just as we walked through the showroom and all the way home until Dee street!
Glad to report all ok and TJ’s have presented it really well. Would definitely recommend them.
30948172-5E68-4AD1-966C-CA7E5E5D4E4A.jpeg

davyk31

RMS Regular
Great cars. Bit agricultural in first and second gears on the noise front but after that very smooth and quiet. We had ours for 4 years and then swapped out for a GTi.

Michael M

RMS Regular
OP
Michael M
Drives
VW Golfs
Great cars. Bit agricultural in first and second gears on the noise front but after that very smooth and quiet. We had ours for 4 years and then swapped out for a GTi.

Agreed. I only drive it 11 miles on the way home but found it quiet for a diesel at higher speeds. Really looking forward to getting a good run out in it

Michael M

RMS Regular
OP
Michael M
Drives
VW Golfs
Also pleased how the colour hides the dirt! It looks clean but is filthy from all the spray from lorries etc!:joy:

Dan400

RMS Regular
Drives
sierra cosworth
C4829FD7-5F20-419C-9295-74126E8167E1.jpeg
Lovely car this , probably have already mentioned it , but is it manual or dsg?
The wife has a manual 2015 gtd , I absolutely love driving it , great all round car

Michael M

RMS Regular
OP
Michael M
Drives
VW Golfs
It’s a manual. I was after DSG but couldn’t justify the extra cost with road tax and initial cost in buying it.

Maybe next time!

White would have been our 2nd choice but we had a white Kuga before the Mini so wanted a change

Michael M

RMS Regular
OP
Michael M
Drives
VW Golfs
Thank you! Had a drive last night and fiddled about with ACC, kinda freaky!! Lol. There’s so much to get used to on the menus.
Going from 32mpg in the MINI to 54 was also a bonus!

Dan400

RMS Regular
Drives
sierra cosworth
It’s a manual. I was after DSG but couldn’t justify the extra cost with road tax and initial cost in buying it.

Maybe next time!

White would have been our 2nd choice but we had a white Kuga before the Mini so wanted a change
We were the same , the £20 a year road tax was too tempting lol
Maybe change to a 7.5 dsg next year

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.