Golf Gti 16v

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Moddie

RMS Regular
OP
Moddie
Drives
mk2 golf
What exhaust was on it ? I have a magnet on mine and fancy a change.
Power flow off my corrado. It never really fitted perfectly and it has an oval tip which doesn't suit the mk2 at all in my opinion. The scorpion is twin round slash cut so should look much better. I'll let you know about the fit and the sound of it when it arrives. £340 all in for a downpipe back system

Moddie

RMS Regular
OP
Moddie
Drives
mk2 golf
Just got an email to say the scorpion exhaust has been discontinued. Back to square one there then. Anyone any experience with the Jetex systems? Or reccomendations for a custom one somewhere local?

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
I used Aaron at AH Autoservices in Antrim for the custom system on my Jaguar.

Top quality work and really nice guy to deal with.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Hannibal.jpg

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
I've a magnex on the mk3 Ryan. Couldnt fault it for fit or sound. Quiet burble around town, almost standard ticking over and opens up but not stupid loud when booting it.

I can take it round if you want a listen

Gambit

RMS Regular
i use to have a supersprint on mine which was class looking but too loud - i found myself going the other way and went back to standard GTI backbox with the polished tips but done a bypass on the big suitcase middle exhaust box & kept the milltek 4-branch on it, sounds std at idle and low revs but has a good rasp of it when you get going which people dont really expect when they see it lol

you could try @ewok he had a scorpion system for his 16v that he never fitted

Moddie

RMS Regular
OP
Moddie
Drives
mk2 golf
Oil pump went in this a while ago and wore the big end bearings. Didn't wanna risk re building this engine again so I bit the bullet and bought a full mk3 vr6 donor car which will be replacing the 16v. Main reason for wanting the vr6 was to have a nice cruising engine that sounds amazing.

Moddie

RMS Regular
OP
Moddie
Drives
mk2 golf
So this thing is finally up and running again. It’s been almost a year since I bought the donor car. Could have done it a lot quicker but with the shocking long winter and then no space at the house to work at it in the spring and then weather that was too good to be working at the car things got delayed a bit. Hell of a lot of work in the conversion anyway.

There are much easier ways to put a VR6 in a mk2 but I paid a fair bit for my donor car so I didn’t wanna go and buy more parts from corrado VR6 or B3 passats etc when I already had the parts there for the job. Many of those other bit just bolt straight in but my da is handy with a welder so we just made everything work one way or another.

I got both engines out of both cars by about November last year and then they both sat like that til about June this year. Most people take the full subframe and running gear out of the donor car too but I needed to keep mine 4 stud for the TH lines to stay. I ended up using the mk3 subframe, with mk2 power steering rack, new mk2 modified wishbones, mk2 anti roll bar, track rod ends, ball joints and drive shafts. Then I had to cut the 2 pedal boxes to get one that fits in a mk2 and has a bracket for the hydraulic clutch set up. The bulkhead had to be modified too to sit flush with the bracket. Took the full mk3 engine loom and wired it all into my original fuse box too.

When it came time for the engine to go in the bay one of the pulleys was hitting off the chassis leg, I had to persuade it to move over a bit but even then there isn’t much room so I changed the belt, tensioner and waterpump as it’ll be an engine out jab to get at any of them in the future. The front engine mount needed a wedge cut out of it, then bent and re welded. I used the original crossmember. I took the mk3 radiator and twin fan set up and butchered it away down to fit in the mk2. Got everything lined up and In place but the fan was seized so I was looking for a replacement. I’d no luck getting one, so it was either go for 2 aftermarket fans or wait for an original to pop up. Managed to find a full corrado VR6 radiator and fan set up for 40 quid though and it goes straight in the mk2.

When it came time to start the car it didn’t start. First problem was the immobiliser. Had to wire in the original yoke that sits around the key barrel, and take the chip and put it into my key. Then there was no fuel and I found out you needa swap a relay from the mk3 to the mk2. Then there was no spark. This caused a massive head ache. Ended up completely re doing the wiring with some help from guys on mk2vr6.com and eventually finding out it was a corroded crank sensor plug causing the issue.

So after I got it running it was a case of getting it running properly. Got sorted with new oil, coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, gear box oil and filters etc. Took it out for a test drive and noticed one of the rear shocks rattling about. It also wouldn’t select first gear. One of the plug leads is missing a clip too so it sometimes drops to 5 cylinders. Had a bit of a hoke about with the gear selectors and now it’s going Into 1st but not 5th. And broke a clip in the process. Got new coilovers sorted so I’m gonna wing it through MOT and see how I get on. Oh and I just noticed an oil leak when putting it into the garage... so I’ll have to sort that first.

That’s pretty much all the bother I’ve had with it. The good things about it are that it drives class and sounds absolutely amazing. For such a small wee car you don’t expect it to rev and sound like it does. That’s all I wanted out of it really. I had toyed with the idea of a 1.8T but it was fast enough as a 16V and a 1.8T would just be ridiculous so I went for the best sounding engine I could fit In it.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Your right about the 1.8t bad mine out for mot there and it's crazy fast! Haha will take some setting up to get right.

Vr6 sounds amazing!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.