Golf Gti 16v

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Moddie

RMS Regular
OP
Moddie
Drives
mk2 golf
Oh I forgot to mention my decat doesn’t fit right and pushes the exhaust up against the tunnel so I will have to get that either bent or cut and welded. Also the engine is pretty much touching the bonnet and the sump is the same level as the front bumper so no more running it at this height

515A5117-4333-4F68-AEE4-A27F746EE7E3.jpeg

SLW00

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Looks lovely and bet it sounds throaty too. What suspension are you running? I currently have eibach coils in mine but it doesn’t sit anywhere near that height. I’ve just refurbed a set of modernline 3 piece and would like to get it sitting perfectly.

As you say vr is the best sounding engine for it

Moddie

RMS Regular
OP
Moddie
Drives
mk2 golf
I had TA technix coils In it when it was low. Now running AP coilovers

Moddie

RMS Regular
OP
Moddie
Drives
mk2 golf
I took this off the road at the end of September as I was away on holiday for a month and didn’t think I’d get much driving over the winter. Missed out loadsa opportunities between October and Christmas to drive it so for the sake of £20 a month to tax it I can drive it now whenever I want.
It’s a far better yoke now than it ever was with the old engine. It always used to give bother with overheating and fans not kicking in, and not starting when warm. It was always a bit of hassle to take anywhere. It’s sweet now, runs perfectly. Such a smooth engine and goes rightly too. Driving about with the windows down no matter how cold it is.
Here’s a few snaps of it out and about over the past while

C3350CA0-7FD0-44BB-94BE-82957BDFB00E.jpeg
EBB7EAE2-63B5-4270-80CD-A538BD216C0F.jpeg
AED65EED-2D85-40A3-9972-D719520926C7.jpeg
31B999E2-1684-40F8-AB21-F83394DF3338.jpeg
138ED519-48A1-4370-985F-ABD7743D7B84.jpeg

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Im the exact same with the windows down Ryan. Even in the Bora I rarely turn the radio on.

Still think it's the best engine for an oem plus MK2.

You entering for dubshed?

Moddie

RMS Regular
OP
Moddie
Drives
mk2 golf
Im the exact same with the windows down Ryan. Even in the Bora I rarely turn the radio on.

Still think it's the best engine for an oem plus MK2.

You entering for dubshed?
When I changed to the leather door cards they didn’t have speaker pods and the rear shelf speakers are pure dort so I ripped them out. So no radio even if I did want it! I’ll probably go to the show but won’t be entering it!

Only thing I’m not happy with in the car is the gear box. It crunches into second unless you go realllly easy and the linkage is like stirring soup. I don’t think there is much you can do to improve the mk3 linkage so it’s either swap it out for something I can fit a short shift to and recon the gearbox or swap the whole lot for a different set up. Not sure what to do

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
When I changed to the leather door cards they didn’t have speaker pods and the rear shelf speakers are pure dort so I ripped them out. So no radio even if I did want it! I’ll probably go to the show but won’t be entering it!

Only thing I’m not happy with in the car is the gear box. It crunches into second unless you go realllly easy and the linkage is like stirring soup. I don’t think there is much you can do to improve the mk3 linkage so it’s either swap it out for something I can fit a short shift to and recon the gearbox or swap the whole lot for a different set up. Not sure what to do

Stick an 02j shifter set up into it and it will make a world of difference. I'm gona do mine shortly but having driven a few cars done it really gives a nicer feel.

Change the shifter tower on the gearbox for one from an 02J box (MK4 1.8t, TDI etc) and the shifter mechanism from a TDI 6n2 Polo and accompanying cables. Do a Google search for it. It's straightforward enough

Moddie

RMS Regular
OP
Moddie
Drives
mk2 golf
Stick an 02j shifter set up into it and it will make a world of difference. I'm gona do mine shortly but having driven a few cars done it really gives a nicer feel.

Change the shifter tower on the gearbox for one from an 02J box (MK4 1.8t, TDI etc) and the shifter mechanism from a TDI 6n2 Polo and accompanying cables. Do a Google search for it. It's straightforward enough
That still leaves the dodgy second gear though. Can ya fit a 02J box handy enough?

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
This may help ignore if no use at all..

Q: Will my 02A clutch work with the 02J?
A: Yes, I discovered this by looking at part numbers on various websites between a mk3 VR and a Mk4 VR. Might be different on an 02M though.
Q: Will my 02A starter work with the 02J?
A: No, you need to get a starter from the 02J
Q: Do I need different axles or axle flanges?
A: No, you do not need new axles, however, you WILL need the transsmission axle flanges off of a mk4 2.0L or TDI 5spd car. They are 100mm and have a bolt in the center.
Q: Does the 02J bolt right up to the mk3 AAA VR6 block
A: Yes, and the mk3 bolts work too.
Q: Do I need to cut the shifter opening in the car?
A: Yes, because when the side to side motion of the shifter goes to the left (1st, or reverse gear) the shifter hits the metal opening.
Q: does the shifter/ cables work without any modification?
A: The cables work fine, however you can see the shifter needs some modification to get to fit the car. See post farther down for details.
I can add more questions later if you guys have any. Just PM me
Alright, now here's a list of what you need:
1. 02J transmission out of a mk4 VR6
2. 02J shifter with cables
3. 02J shift tower
4. 02J starter
5. mk4 2.0L or TDi 100mm axle flanges with the center bolt to hold it on, versus the clip style the mk3 uses. The stock axle flanges on the 02J are the 108mm flanges and will not work on our stock axles. I got mine through Austin Veedub, in Austin Texas
6. mk4 shift knob with boot, or other syle if desired
7. a few metric nuts and bolts for the shifter

Gambit

RMS Regular

What oil have you in the box? redline mt90 was always the go to for notchy boxes. There are upgrade bushes for the cable & box mounting that may help VW Golf MK3 VR6 R32 MK4 MK5 Cable Change Shift Bushes Custom CNC Billet Parts | eBay

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Nah we didn't get an 02j with a bell housing to suit a 6cyl engine. Our vr6 mk4s are 4motion so have an 02m box. The yanks got a fwd 6cyl MK4.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.