Golf GTI DSG gearbox repairs/diagnostics - recommendations??

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
Drives
Golfs
I think my Mk5 Golf GTI DSG gearbox has become slightly 'jerky' after sitting in traffic for long periods of time - which seems to be every day now on the daily commute. Its fine the rest of the time and works perfect on the paddles. Its a high miler, but full history including DSG services (last done 33k ago) and i'm only the second owner.

I was going to just get a gearbox service done, but was then thinking I should maybe get it checked over first, before spending £200 on oil change just to find it needs more work done (clutches/mechatronics unit). So I thought I would see if anybody here had any recommendations for anybody within reasonable travelling time of Belfast?

I spoke to Burnside Garages in Coleraine who seemed reasonable enough at £70 for diagnostic. They had done work on a Toyota Amazon for us couple years ago, but the DSG seems a bit more complex.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Sounds like it could be the mechatronics unit?

DIY if you’re game?!

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
OP
Rallyfreaks
Drives
Golfs
Sounds like it could be the mechatronics unit?

DIY if you’re game?!

Thanks for that!
If diagnostic tells me it’s mechatronics unit then I’d have no bother taking out. Few companies in England who recondition them. I’d just be worried in case it’s clutches or something internal to box.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Any of the ones that we seem to repair are mechatronics units as opposed to the clutches within.

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
OP
Rallyfreaks
Drives
Golfs
Any of the ones that we seem to repair are mechatronics units as opposed to the clutches within.
Thanks, out of interest, what sort of mileage would the ones you repair be at. Mines mega - 168k, so wondering if clutches have a shelf life. Im getting none of the other symptoms like not selecting reverse, display showing PRNS.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Clutches will wear out (I'm only after replacing a wet clutch on an 0B5) ,although not as common as mechatronic repairs. Servicing on these is a must and I would say a good 80% of repairs have been done due to lack of it.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Thanks, out of interest, what sort of mileage would the ones you repair be at. Mines mega - 168k, so wondering if clutches have a shelf life. Im getting none of the other symptoms like not selecting reverse, display showing PRNS.

Have seen ones with that kind of mileage, generally in taxi's!

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
OP
Rallyfreaks
Drives
Golfs
Clutches will wear out (I'm only after replacing a wet clutch on an 0B5) ,although not as common as mechatronic repairs. Servicing on these is a must and I would say a good 80% of repairs have been done due to lack of it.
OK thanks, mines only had one previous owner and it seems to have had DSG services at around 40k, then 75k, but next not til 135k. Its now on 168k so due further one, but i'd rather pay for decent diagnostic first and get either mechatronics or clutches done before the oil going in and then back out.
What symptoms should I be looking out for if clutches on way out?
Although in saying all above, its been fine all week, even during 1hr30 drive into and out of town this afternoon during rush hour at crawling speed, no juddering, and smooth changes.....

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
OP
Rallyfreaks
Drives
Golfs
Have seen ones with that kind of mileage, generally in taxi's!
Haha, yes at 168k its highest mileage car I've ever had - its even 35k more than whats on my 30yr old Mk2 16v! - but with exception of above gremlins its given me no bother over past 3 years - far less than previous and other current cars that have had less than half the miles.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Clutches may display symptoms of harshness when coming to a stop, increased oil temperatures, minor slippage etc.

There is alot more to these than just plugging it in and checking for codes, solenoid activation, temperature, input shaft speed etc all contribute to similar issues but the repairs would be totally different.