Golf GTI Mk2

martybelfastsri

RMS Regular
Drives
all sorts
dosent look or sound that bad at all considering its age ,should have sold me it before i got the oak green car lol but they are small repairs really im sure plenty on here to help with repair plans ect including myself for what its worth

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
dosent look or sound that bad at all considering its age ,should have sold me it before i got the oak green car lol but they are small repairs really im sure plenty on here to help with repair plans ect including myself for what its worth

You can have it now lol. Send me through a few pics of your mk2 when you get time.

Boksic

RMS Regular
If you do decide to sell, fire a price my way just incase.. I've wanted a MK2 for years and let a few slip through the net, and "good" ones are normally twice the price they should be along with not being as good as made out.

If I was you I'd fix it all the same!

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Cormac dont let that put you off as mentioned drop it into magraw or mcgrath and one of them will sort that no bother or if you are thinking of selling fire me a pm.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Thanks lads for the advice. I know they're aren't the biggest jobs in the world but I was slightly daunted with the fact that this may take years to do at this rate.

I'm not sure to strip the car back to a bare shell or not. I have another few areas I want to look at the rear of the car and then make a decision on that.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Please don't sell this Cormac. You'll never get another in as good condition or with the history. Simple repairs man, if you need someone to do it I know a fella not too far away from you. Same man might try to buy it off you though 'cause he loves his retro stuff :laughing:

Gambit

RMS Regular
Thanks lads for the advice. I know they're aren't the biggest jobs in the world but I was slightly daunted with the fact that this may take years to do at this rate.

I'm not sure to strip the car back to a bare shell or not. I have another few areas I want to look at the rear of the car and then make a decision on that.

ive been putting that job off for years with mine, but slowly and steady building up all the panels i needed to replace - i know the fear you are experiencing!! you at least have the garage space to do it, which is my main reason for not doing mine. they are a very simple car as you know so i wouldnt be too worried by it at all.

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
Cormac do not strip to bare shell. Just repair what's needed and get the old girl back on the road

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I wouldn’t strip it either unless you have deep pockets and plenty of time. As said find any of the rot, cut it out, replace and enjoy it. My corsa was a fair bit worse than that and in very awkward areas, £600 sorted it all out. It’s horrible though when you go digging with the flap disc and you start finding stuff that just keeps going and going. A mk2 golf is a lot more solid car than a corsa B though which were made from coke tins ffs, so I wouldn’t be too concerned .

Last edited:

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
With the brighter nights I have had a bit more motivation getting out and getting stuck into the Mk2.

I have continued to strip in preparation for bodywork. Took off the wing mirrors and while I was at it took three door cards off to see what the doors were like inside. Thankfully all was good and have started to remove the stripes and mouldings.

20200405_163719.jpg
20200405_170433.jpg

Boksic

RMS Regular
Something nice about walking into the garage and having something older sitting. Even if it's in bits lol.

Pictures flatter it a bit but she definitely isn't a bad one.

Not gonna lie, when I seen the thread updated I was half hoping to come in and see "now for sale" 😂😂
Feel like Fred now FFS.

Good to see it's moving forward anyway!

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Got a little time of today to continue stripping the Golf. The gutter trims like a lot of things on the car have proven very hard to get off. The passenger side must have been loose at some stage and was bonded on with quite a bit of rust around the rail but all surface rust.

20200409_153913.jpg

The drivers side was a lot more straight forward
20200408_130428.jpg

Stripes and mouldings removed from the drivers side. I will leave the handles to the very end, they're easily removed.
20200408_130333.jpg

Started into the boot area, lights off and rear carpet and seats out. Next up will be rear door cards and then the rear windows.

A trusty broom handle to compensate for the tired boot struts
20200410_134504.jpg