Golf GTI TCR

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Hey all,

Some of you may recall I bought a brand new AMG A35 back in March, well from about a month in I started to have really significant problems with the car the worst of all related to its build quality (when being driven it sound like someone walking over creaking floorboards).

Well after a pretty frustrating 2 month process with MB UK it was rejected and handed back to MB Belfast on Friday, I had considered buying another (I was told no were available anyway) but after how MB Belfast dealt with me and treated me I would never go back near them again (their service manager actually said to me that perhaps I should "lower my expectations") which I found shocking.

Anyway I needed something to replace the AMG A35 straight away, requirements were something with around 300bhp as a minimum, modern and with up to date technology and a good level of specification.

Audi and BMW were ruled out fairly quickly as anything suitable was about a 4 month order, JKC did have a really nice 2017 M2 but the interior was almost the same as an M3 I had in 1998.

So after a 24 hour test drive I decided to go for the GTI TCR as it ticked most of the boxes, added bonus its much cheaper so will save me a fair few quid over the next two years.

So here is the car itself, pure grey with the optional black roof and has all the tech I am after.

TCR1.jpg
TCR2.jpg
TCR3.jpg
TCR4.jpg

stevie_1

RMS Regular
Think it was ooo5 tcr or very close to that.. excuse the dodgy photo was driving mower

Attachments

• 7C24E22D-9A7D-49C6-BC44-1BEB1B9D1400.jpeg
    7C24E22D-9A7D-49C6-BC44-1BEB1B9D1400.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 253

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Very nice health to drive!

Have heard of and witnessed first hand nothing but sh1te service from Mercedes Belfast. Not the techs themselves, but service and sales managers, it's a joke really and shame to be stuck with only them over here. I'd sooner go to the mainland and deal with a proper Merc dealer

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
Lovely! Bit of an anti climax after the M2 chat though!

Maybe get an M2 comp in a couple of years, the interior is just too "old" for me. I really like my tech and modern features in a car.

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
Very nice health to drive!

Have heard of and witnessed first hand nothing but sh1te service from Mercedes Belfast. Not the techs themselves, but service and sales managers, it's a joke really and shame to be stuck with only them over here. I'd sooner go to the mainland and deal with a proper Merc dealer

It was truly shocking. If I were ever to consider another A35 I would go to the mainland for one as well.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Very nice health to drive, I seen great savings on these. I think all dealers are a nightmare to be fair.

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
Very nice health to drive, I seen great savings on these. I think all dealers are a nightmare to be fair.

I have had my fair share of bad experiences over the years with different dealers and different brands.

This was however on another level, they lied to me on several occasions, continually denied there was a problem with the car despite two independent reports commissioned by them stated that there were. The icing on the cake was the service manager telling me to lower my expectations of the car, this was the point when I determined there was no point trying to be reasonable with them anymore.

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
I am the same with Agnews VW in Belfast

I bought mine from the Mallusk branch, my best mate is related to the service manager so any problems will hopefully be better managed. However I hope not to have any.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I have had my fair share of bad experiences over the years with different dealers and different brands.

This was however on another level, they lied to me on several occasions, continually denied there was a problem with the car despite two independent reports commissioned by them stated that there were. The icing on the cake was the service manager telling me to lower my expectations of the car, this was the point when I determined there was no point trying to be reasonable with them anymore.

That’s wild, I would have exploded with them. Totally take the shine of getting a new car but hopefully you have more enjoyment with this one.

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
When looking at changing to the gol
F few months back checked out Agnes at mall use. Got a test drive in a white silver one which was 1 mile out and 1 mile back Hardly got it out of third gear before the young girl Said we are in the thirty zone how can u judge a car with test drives like that all she wanted to do was sign me up to a pcp deal

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
That’s lovely. Hopefully you have better enjoyment out of this than the Mercedes. I’m surprised it was a poor experience from a luxury car brand but hey

Do you plan to get this coated or anything like you did with the Merc?

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
What a stunning colour, is that a new colour?

Shame about the merc experience

Cheers Pete, it ls exclusive to the TCR. Called pure grey, as its VAG I'm fairly sure it's close to Audi's nano grey.

I'll be in touch shortly about getting a treatment sorted. Just need to save the pennies as MB weren't for refunding my costs for the treatment on the A35.

Dave..

RMS Regular
When looking at changing to the gol
F few months back checked out Agnes at mall use. Got a test drive in a white silver one which was 1 mile out and 1 mile back Hardly got it out of third gear before the young girl Said we are in the thirty zone how can u judge a car with test drives like that all she wanted to do was sign me up to a pcp deal
When I bought my golf r, my test drive lasted 90 minutes. This was with VW Mallusk. I found the Boucher rd garage terrible and not keen on organising a test drive.
I ended up buying 3 cars from Mallusk.

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
That’s lovely. Hopefully you have better enjoyment out of this than the Mercedes. I’m surprised it was a poor experience from a luxury car brand but hey

Do you plan to get this coated or anything like you did with the Merc?

Yeah, I will definitely get some protection on it.

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
When I bought my golf r, my test drive lasted 90 minutes. This was with VW Mallusk. I found the Boucher rd garage terrible and not keen on organising a test drive.
I ended up buying 3 cars from Mallusk.

They lent me their demo TCR overnight, I need more than a 30 minute test drive to make a decision.