Golf R - Tips

WSK

RMS Regular
OP
WSK
Drives
R
Got the car Stage 1 REVO mapped at TG performance - does go well.

But I feel ever since the DSG is acting a bit funny - Seems to hang on to the gears a bit / doesn't know which gear to be in sometimes?

I didn't get the DSG mapped as was told it wasn't needed by a few.

Someone mentioned the DSG was maybe reset and needs to learn the driving style again but I'm not so sure?

Haven't called TG Performance yet for their opinion but will later.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Personally I would have got the TCU software as well but best ringing Chris for his advice

I did both software changes going through the stages

Reactions: WSK

WSK

RMS Regular
OP
WSK
Drives
R
Yeah feel like i should have also, and likely will soon.

As said, others at stage 1 with no TCU were fine so thought it would have been grand.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Here's a tip for all MK7 golf owners. There's a connection box for the bonnet release cable near the offside headlight. Get a couple of cable ties around it or some day you will end up in tears.

803858917_IMG_33742.thumb.JPG.215d487d6f9c6d7150b2de9e581c2792.jpeg

AC

RMS Regular
Yeah feel like i should have also, and likely will soon.

As said, others at stage 1 with no TCU were fine so thought it would have been grand.

I've had the Stage 1 Engine and Gearbox map on mine for a few years now. It's great and have had no issues with the gearbox in regards to knowing which gear to be in however I've noticed that when driving hard in S mode, it will rev out in 2nd and there is a slight delay in going into 3rd, almost as if it's pulling back and torque limiting. Only happens in S mode though, when flicking over the manual mode the gear changes are rapid without using the paddles.

I also find the car quicker when using manual mode with traction on rather than using launch control. Granted I've probably only launched mine 3 or 4 times in the 4 years I've had it.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Here's a tip for all MK7 golf owners. There's a connection box for the bonnet release cable near the offside headlight. Get a couple of cable ties around it or some day you will end up in tears.

View attachment 340709
It’s moreso the inner ball breaks apart if the latch itself is a bit stiff and excessive force is applied to the release handle. Very common issue to the extent we keep the ‘small cable’ in stock with us in VW.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
It’s moreso the inner ball breaks apart if the latch itself is a bit stiff and excessive force is applied to the release handle. Very common issue to the extent we keep the ‘small cable’ in stock with us in VW.

The lid just popped open on ours allowing the ball joint to separate. Seems to be common enough going by various forums. I managed to get it open using a pick through the wheel arch. I have halogen headlights though luckily. I read that there's not enough room with neon headlamps.

Took me many tries, much swearing and a very sore wrist. Didn't fancy the other method of unbolting the bonnet catch and thankfully didn't have to resort to that.

I can see what you mean about it being fragile, wouldn't take much to break it.

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR
The lid just popped open on ours allowing the ball joint to separate. Seems to be common enough going by various forums. I managed to get it open using a pick through the wheel arch. I have halogen headlights though luckily. I read that there's not enough room with neon headlamps.

Took me many tries, much swearing and a very sore wrist. Didn't fancy the other method of unbolting the bonnet catch and thankfully didn't have to resort to that.

I can see what you mean about it being fragile, wouldn't take much to break it.

i've had to unbolt from the bonnet latch. the cable popped out of the mechanism at the latch on me! very long 10mm spanner and about 1/16 of a turn at a time! very time consuming!