Golf R - Tips

Dave..

RMS Regular
thermostat housing

also i'd love to try one with DCC. mine on standard suspension is quite crashy
I had the adjustable suspension in my R and it made the ride quality much nicer but I specced the 19`s which would have made it hard going without it.
I loved my R but needed something bigger, hopefully get an estate in the future.

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR
got 19's and standard suspension. however i changed a rear bushing on the front arm today that had went 'soft', and its made it a little less crashy!

aiming for a full set of mp4s soon also

stuarti

RMS Regular
So what was the consensus on the golf r…. Are they a thumbs up or a bit meh …. ?!
assume they are an easy enough car to sell on again … ??

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
So what was the consensus on the golf r…. Are they a thumbs up or a bit meh …. ?!
assume they are an easy enough car to sell on again … ??
They do everything well but I just found the GTi PP more engaging to drive. Test drive one and make your own mind up though as others rave about them.

I had no issues selling mine on at under a year old although it had a fair amount of spec which probably helped. Well that and @moglie doing his thing!

stuarti

RMS Regular
Aye I wondered was there much of a private resale market at something only 2 years old !!!

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
Was offered decent money for my own 2018 performance gti earlier in week but haven’t seen much to replace it with

Smorgol

RMS Member
I love my R. Had many performance cars before, lots of BM's inc 335D but the Golf R is awesome. It was excellent and then I did the Revo upgrade and it became immense. Real brilliant all-rounder. Others have identified some of the probs. Mine include - the battery can cause some issues, speed sensor similarly. Otherwise no less a pain than any premium or non-premium performance brand. DO IT.

WSK

RMS Regular
OP
WSK
Drives
R
Well I'm now the owner of Blue R DSG... enjoying it so far, i can see how they are a great all rounder already.

Coming from the M3 there's definitely less drama/interaction when pushing on.. but they are 2 different cars i suppose.

Interested in a Haldex service though - Any Rec's? - I could do it myself but would like an good independent to take a look and the stamp for proof.

Thanks,
Keith

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Get VW to do it for the stamp and then get someone else to do it properly.
VW don’t clean the filter (unless you know someone on the inside)

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
VW don’t clean the filter (unless you know someone on the inside)

They do if you ask them to. Back when I still had my R I had Philips VW in Lisburn do it. Sat and watched the fella do it too as it was the car beside the window between the showroom and workshop so I know 100% it was done. They didn't charge anything extra for cleaning the filter either.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
They do if you ask them to. Back when I still had my R I had Philips VW in Lisburn do it. Sat and watched the fella do it too as it was the car beside the window between the showroom and workshop so I know 100% it was done. They didn't charge anything extra for cleaning the filter either.

Philips are the only vw dealer I would entertain, that have a guy in there Declan who came 2/3rd as best mechanic in the uk a year or 2 ago. Him or Chris normally work on the Mk8 GTi when it’s been down with a niggle and nothing is a hassle.

WSK

RMS Regular
OP
WSK
Drives
R
Cheers!!

Anyone had theirs 'Stage 1' mapped locally? - Interested in the DSG map to sharpen it up a bit too!

Thanks.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
@KeithSRi loads of mapped R's and S3's and it is 100% a different car there after

Numerous options as well but having had my S3 tuned for the last 4 years, I cant recommend Revo highly enough - TG Performance in Bangor.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Revo at TG performance or have no experience with but woouldn't doubt the service of Gavin at Blackline with Celtic software.

therock

RMS Regular
Cheers!!

Anyone had theirs 'Stage 1' mapped locally? - Interested in the DSG map to sharpen it up a bit too!

Thanks.
Had mine done by Revo at Conlig. TG Performance i believe.

Went like stink. Easily the best handling car I've owned. Stage 1 should see you 0-60 in sub 4 secs