Golf R32 - a fixer upper

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
@Gaz VW

Lothian Auto parts uk on ebay. The quality was great, fitment was fine bar one hole on one wing needed oval'd to get it perfect with the door line. Took a wee bit of adjustments to line it up perfect but no different to fitting any panel. Not that I've ever done it before but all the gaps lined up once I'd finished.
Paint matching isn't as good as I initially thought but because its black it's not as obvious. Only in the full sunlight its noticable. As previously stated, there's 5 or 6 "variants" for my paint code. That means its pot luck if they use the same variant. My paint has a blue flake, whereas the wings are gold flake. Apparently you can post them your petrol flap and they paint match it but I found that out too late.
If I'd have know I was getting the other bits painted , I'd have just got wings repaired at the same time. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.
For £200 I'm happy enough. Wonder how much it would cost to fix rust and get painted in a shop ? I still think it was the cheaper option and at least they're 100% rust free.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
@Gaz VW

Lothian Auto parts uk on ebay. The quality was great, fitment was fine bar one hole on one wing needed oval'd to get it perfect with the door line. Took a wee bit of adjustments to line it up perfect but no different to fitting any panel. Not that I've ever done it before but all the gaps lined up once I'd finished.
Paint matching isn't as good as I initially thought but because its black it's not as obvious. Only in the full sunlight its noticable. As previously stated, there's 5 or 6 "variants" for my paint code. That means its pot luck if they use the same variant. My paint has a blue flake, whereas the wings are gold flake. Apparently you can post them your petrol flap and they paint match it but I found that out too late.
If I'd have know I was getting the other bits painted , I'd have just got wings repaired at the same time. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.
For £200 I'm happy enough. Wonder how much it would cost to fix rust and get painted in a shop ? I still think it was the cheaper option and at least they're 100% rust free.
I spoke to the guy who does any painting for me and he said if I was able to get two painted wings for £200 to go with that. So just ordered one there to test the fit/colour match. Cheers!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I spoke to the guy who does any painting for me and he said if I was able to get two painted wings for £200 to go with that. So just ordered one there to test the fit/colour match. Cheers!
That's the thing, can't really beat the price.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Genuine wheels arrived today. Will pick up tyres this week from @RubberLover then get them left to @polishingalloys for a much needed refurb. Thinking a deep silver. Not grey but not bright silver either.
And I've inquired with @Blackwater Graphics on what my options are with centre cap badges as these ones are missing the VW emblems which leaves 4 holes and an awkward shaped surface to cover. Any ideas are welcome.
20200630_172717.jpg
Screenshot_20200630-192251_Gallery.jpg

RevT

RMS Regular
Are the caps definitely not available through the dealers anymore?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Are the caps definitely not available through the dealers anymore?
They are . . . . .£130. No thanks.8o|
Silver with a bit of pop will look good! Bit fresher than the standard wheel silver I think.(y)
Standard silver does nothing for me. I'll need to get a look to see what Michael can do for me. Any suggestions on a nice silver ? Or is it just a matter of seeing his samples?

sam_9n

RMS Regular
I asked for silver when I got my comps done for comparison. I just like the bright silver colour for wheels personally.

A0654276-7904-4C3C-8D15-EA47BE259F29.png

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
they need to be bright silver to work with the bright silver grill imo

Also, id say just buy the centre caps, you'll do that much dicking about trying to find something you'll just waste more money & time and never been happy with them...that's generally how I find it works 🤣

Yes- just buy the centre star Caps - think they’re £150 for all 4 from GSF.
I ran mine without the centre star caps and just using centre round VW cap and plastic nut covers and looked well enough

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
they need to be bright silver to work with the bright silver grill imo

Also, id say just buy the centre caps, you'll do that much dicking about trying to find something you'll just waste more money & time and never been happy with them...that's generally how I find it works 🤣
That's how everything I do turns out 😂
Someone sent me this on FB, their local graphics company made them. Look dead on fitted.
Screenshot_20200701-125907_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200701-102954_Facebook.jpg

Gambit

RMS Regular

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
£93 for a set of genuine ones on eBay from Latvia. I think I’d probably end up going for those rather than dicking about with alternative badges etc, which will end up wrecking your head!

that said, looking at your photo I’d probably be tempted to get Micheal to paint the whole cap, then just get a VW badge/gel sticker the size of the current VW, thus leaving the area where the corroded chrome ring is in silver. If that makes sense?!

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
£93 for a set of genuine ones on eBay from Latvia. I think I’d probably end up going for those rather than dicking about with alternative badges etc, which will end up wrecking your head!

that said, looking at your photo I’d probably be tempted to get Micheal to paint the whole cap, then just get a VW badge/gel sticker the size of the current VW, thus leaving the area where the corroded chrome ring is in silver. If that makes sense?!

Think the colour match is the issue...
My wheels were refurbed by Michael and he didn’t want to do the star centre caps....
New ones then might be a slightly different shade of silver?