Golf R32 - a fixer upper

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
£93 for a set of genuine ones on eBay from Latvia. I think I’d probably end up going for those rather than dicking about with alternative badges etc, which will end up wrecking your head!

that said, looking at your photo I’d probably be tempted to get Micheal to paint the whole cap, then just get a VW badge/gel sticker the size of the current VW, thus leaving the area where the corroded chrome ring is in silver. If that makes sense?!
Yeah I've seen a few people do that but you can see the 4 holes. Wonder could he fill them ?
Think the colour match is the issue...
My wheels were refurbed by Michael and he didn’t want to do the star centre caps....
New ones then might be a slightly different shade of silver?
You think he wont paint the centres I have ? (Black at the min). If I did buy new (which i dont think i will) I'd definitely want them painted to match the wheels.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Someone sent me this on FB, their local graphics company made them. Look dead on fitted.

Might look ok in a picture on the monitor. Will still obviously be stickers close up in real life. Never mind what they will look like after a bit of use...

Just get the OEM ones and be done, it's neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.

Save yourself all the hassle and bother messing about.

And don't by from Latvia or whatever for the sake of a tenner :innocent:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Turned out dead on for a tenner. £7 for the domed "stickers" though they're the hard aluminium backed type, not just a sticker. Then a couple of quid for the chrome vinyl. Probably wont last long but I've heard the £130+ OEM ones start corroding after 2 years anyhow.

Before paint. . .
20200714_145743.jpg

After.. . .
20200717_144036.jpg

20200717_144400.jpg

20200717_161119.jpg

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
Just read the whole thread beginning to end! Love all the wee jobs you’ve done and it’s a great improvement since you got it.

Good choice on wheel colour, painting wheels grey that were silver originally I have always hated.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Just read the whole thread beginning to end! Love all the wee jobs you’ve done and it’s a great improvement since you got it.

Good choice on wheel colour, painting wheels grey that were silver originally I have always hated.
Thanks. It's been the car I've done the most to in the shortest time frame , even though it was meant to be a car I never bothered with much. Mostly silly wee things to tidy it up that dont cost much (except the paintwork and wheels i seem seem to be going through:monkey:)
I'm still tempted by a set of lowering springs and a nicer exhaust with only the cost of new putting me off.
I've seen a few with grey wheels that I really like, but they're lowered on fancy aftermarket rims which is a different story.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, I seem to recall the "not planning to do much" at the start :innocent: 😁

All the better for it and you seem to enjoy it so why the heck not! Get the springs and exhaust on (y)

Martyn

RMS Regular
I loved my mk4 R32. Drove it for 2 1/2 years and sold it loosing £1k on the purchase price.

The amount of money I spent however - remap, huge brakes, exhaust - manifold, sports cats, backbox, cams, audio advice install, engine bay strut brace, alloy caps, bbs ch wheels.

I was even waxing the thing with £250 wax back in 2003.

Never ever again...

I absolutely love your project, it brings back so many good memories.

Martyn

RMS Regular
I was thinking about your Mk4 this week Martyn! One of my most memorable RMS cars.

Yea it’s a shame my car is attributed to someone else it the members garage.

Whoops take that back!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I loved my mk4 R32. Drove it for 2 1/2 years and sold it loosing £1k on the purchase price.

The amount of money I spent however - remap, huge brakes, exhaust - manifold, sports cats, backbox, cams, audio advice install, engine bay strut brace, alloy caps, bbs ch wheels.

I was even waxing the thing with £250 wax back in 2003.

Never ever again...

I absolutely love your project, it brings back so many good memories.
The values of them are all over the place at the min. I actually chanced trading it in to a dealership over the July holiday there but they offered me trade auction price as it was "too odd ball. If it had have been a tdi I'd give you an exact price, I've no idea what yours is worth".
Dont get me wrong, I'm happy with it, but if I could benefit from selling it hassle free and make a few quid . . . . . . .

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
And the mk5:

Forgot you had a Mk5!

Martyn

RMS Regular
Forgot you had a Mk5!

Just look at the boot build.... audio advice pure awesome!

They brought the MD from focal over to look at that car.... he loved it. Funny having a french bloke listening to Whitney in your car.
I remember paying near £100 for the led’s in that boot build - all hand soldered together.

I bought 20” bbs chs for that car as well.

Last edited:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Just look at the boot build.... audio advice pure awesome!

They brought the MD from focal over to look at that car.... he loved it. Funny having a french bloke listening to Whitney in your car.
I remember paying near £100 for the led’s in that boot build - all hand soldered together.

I bought 20” bbs chs for that car as well.
I'd love that boot build.