Golf R32 - a fixer upper

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st
So tyres bought , wheels off, sent to powder coat and tyres fitted, told they would be ready 100% for Thursday, then Friday, now Monday or Tuesday. Was in no rush anyway so ordered a few bits and they all arrived today.
New centre caps, window switches, plastidip. To those who said a rattle can job on the handle would look keek . . . . . . View attachment 258079View attachment 258080View attachment 258081View attachment 258082View attachment 258083

. . . . .I guess we'll never know as that's a new handle :p

The plastidip will be used on the gear stick surround though, and I'll practice on the old handle first.

Switches feel cheap but all work. Though the mirror adjustment switch isn't right, it has a mind of it's own but so did the old one.
Did you ever try that plasticdip stuff?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Well sorted R32 for someone and at least they can see all the ups and downs you have had with it on this thread and see its been rectified.

Wings will be a big peace of mind for someone.
Yeah it's a strange one. I like it, its tidied up now to a good standard, low miles and top spec. As always I'll see what happens but I just want something a bit more raucous if and when I ever do drive a car. I was tempted to get an exhaust for it but think it deserves to be kept original.

Just to add, my heads all over the place with cars. Some days I think sod it, I'm looking at TVRs and GTRs , then an rs3, then imprezas, then sometimes not having anything at all rather than a garage ornament.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Well that's the "fixer upper" sold. Turned out not too bad for a 14yo car.
Final wash before collection today.
20200925_155328.jpg
20200925_170205.jpg
20200925_171013.jpg
20200925_171026.jpg

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
If everyone's happy then it's a good deal, just take the money and move on :cool:
Yeah I wasn't really in it to make money. Its nice to think a car is only going up in value but unless your a collector or something I dont see the point in keeping a car as an "investment". It starts to outweigh getting enjoyment from it as you start thinking "I better keep the mileage down" for example. Not that I was like that though, I just never drove it because I just didn't :joy: only did 1500 miles
Dont even think the new owner will keep it long, but sure it's someone else that can enjoy the experience for a while then sell it on himself.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I see it's up for sale again @CharlySkunkWeed

Thought the reg looked familiar!
Yeah was sent it lastnight. Bit annoying someone benefiting from work I did but what can u do. Though he says 19" wheels when they're 18", and Miltek when it has the original exhaust. Unless of course they are old pics but I doubt it.
If I'd have held on a bit longer I could've made a few quid but then I knew that when I sold it.
What did you get next? Always looked forward to opening this, the changes you've made to better it

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
No point looking back, you were happy when you sold it. Onwards and up!
Yeah I didn't lose anything. Though I should've at least drove it for a year to benefit from my work 😂. The new mats never had my feet on them for example 🤦‍♂️
Seems to be just the way I am, have everything perfect seemingly for the next owner. Hoping to break that habit with my current car, and enjoy what I'm doing (in saying that, the expensive custom sti mats I got made are still in the wrapper in my garage😂)

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Fixed some paint work , some successful, some not.
Sill and driver door rust spots.View attachment 280041View attachment 280039

Bit of a thread revival but have the above spots of rust on the sorned gti & debating a diy repair for a bit of a project. Did you just mask everything up and prime, paint etc with skirts, door skin & quarter panel still attached? If I could tidy mine up like ☝🏼 I’d be over the moon.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Bit of a thread revival but have the above spots of rust on the sorned gti & debating a diy repair for a bit of a project. Did you just mask everything up and prime, paint etc with skirts, door skin & quarter panel still attached? If I could tidy mine up like ☝🏼 I’d be over the moon.

I got these one:

I sent a sample of the wing, the paint match was flawless and fitment perfect.

I also think @CharlySkunkWeed recommended them.

Edit: sorry I thought you meant wings

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Yeah just sanded rust away, primed, wet sanded, paint , then lacquer. Masking was well back from the area so there's no lines. Pulled the side skit back a wee bit but not removed.