Golf R32 - a fixer upper

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
It's more the colour I'm worried about.
Not sure breakers will be any use, older car will have the same scratches.

pablo

RMS Moderator
have you considered buying new on them? would really lift the interior especially since you did such a good job cleaning it.

TPS can be reasonable for prices

RevT

RMS Regular
This thread has put me in the notion to buy an R32 but it wouldn’t be my daily so it would be pointless and the OH has already said no to one as she doesn’t want to go back to a three door. I just take some mad notions.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
This thread has put me in the notion to buy an R32 but it wouldn’t be my daily so it would be pointless and the OH has already said no to one as she doesn’t want to go back to a three door. I just take some mad notions.
Mines 5door, wouldn't want to daily it as its thirsty. But they are just a cool car for some reason. Watched this video last night . . .

RevT

RMS Regular
Ohh, I know it is, I just can’t warm to a 5 door Golf and never will I’d say, it would need to be 3 door for us and in that blue colour or grey.

I like how you’re just chipping away at bits and pieces though.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Ohh, I know it is, I just can’t warm to a 5 door Golf and never will I’d say, it would need to be 3 door for us and in that blue colour or grey.

I like how you’re just chipping away at bits and pieces though.
Blue is the colour I'd have chose. Doors don't bother me so much.
Done the glass and screens today, set up my bluetooth thingy, tried out the disc changer (and the DVD player that turns out to not be a DVD player but a DVD satnav which is pointless) and put all my stuff into it.
Screenshot_20191124-151040_Chrome.jpg
IMG_20191124_151611_919.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The state of that interior... You've done really well cleaning it up this far!

Another vote for getting new door handles and switches. Saves a lot of hassle too and you know it will be good. And you know painting won't really be good enough, the OCD will kick in :innocent: So might as well save the time and just replace them.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
So tyres bought , wheels off, sent to powder coat and tyres fitted, told they would be ready 100% for Thursday, then Friday, now Monday or Tuesday. Was in no rush anyway so ordered a few bits and they all arrived today.
New centre caps, window switches, plastidip. To those who said a rattle can job on the handle would look keek . . . . . .
20191130_130848.jpg
20191130_152204.jpg
20191130_152219.jpg
20191130_152229.jpg
15751278948406434737226702619350.jpg

. . . . .I guess we'll never know as that's a new handle :p

The plastidip will be used on the gear stick surround though, and I'll practice on the old handle first.

Switches feel cheap but all work. Though the mirror adjustment switch isn't right, it has a mind of it's own but so did the old one.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I think I know what's up with the mirrors. When on the "left" it moves the left mirror. On the "right" it still only moves the left but sometimes the right. I'm guessing "move both mirrors" is selected in the settings (when in the "right" setting) and the right motor is temperamental.
I'm collecting a full mirror tonight to replace the faulty indicator so I might get lucky and get a new motor too.

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
I think I know what's up with the mirrors. When on the "left" it moves the left mirror. On the "right" it still only moves the left but sometimes the right. I'm guessing "move both mirrors" is selected in the settings (when in the "right" setting) and the right motor is temperamental.
I'm collecting a full mirror tonight to replace the faulty indicator so I might get lucky and get a new motor too.

Touaregs the same iirc. You can either adjust both mirrors together or independently.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Possibly I guess. Usually everything needs adjusted if I get in a different car.

Maybe for dipping both when reversing or something?

Anyway, off topic, just curious 8-|

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Another 5 minute cheap fix. I had a look through ebay etc for new mirror indicators but when reading reviews, some said they didn't fit well or weren't as bright as OEM. New VW ones were too expensive for my liking so got a full mirror off a guy breaking one for a fiver. Its slightly faded but matches the other side that way. If I ever pick up fancy set cheap (i see you can get sweeping ones) I'll get a pair and fit them now I know how to do it.
20191201_140246.jpg

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I used to daily mine....think I was getting an average of 19mpg 8o|

The joys of not having a mortgage at that stage....

RevT

RMS Regular
I used to daily mine....think I was getting an average of 19mpg 8o|

The joys of not having a mortgage at that stage....

Yep, I’m never going to be doing it at 100 miles a day though, it would put me under! :joy:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
After a bit of a balls up with the wheels , I finally got them back from powder coat with the tyres I got from @RubberLover fitted and balanced. Car was supposed to be at mechanics today for a full service and general check over for anything needing sorted ,so now I'm a day behind but at least it's there now. Just fired the wheels on, and dropped it off. Really wanted to get them coated while new and centre caps on but it'll have to wait. Once I get it back from the mechanic it's to go in for wheel alignment then I'll get to work on rust repairs and getting it polished up. Then hopefully get to drive it ! Haven't really had a proper run yet !

20191205_175605.jpg