Golf R32 - a fixer upper

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Sounds like a great base you've got there (y) At least if you don't gel it won't be hard shifted on and if you do like it you'll only love it more as you tidy it up to your level of presentation. Look forward to the updates :grinning:

johnm

RMS Regular
Looks great man, htd. Seats look comfy as hell too. Hopefully gets you back to enjoying going for runs & blasts.

Can buy the wings prepainted and ready to fit online it's that common. Cheap too. Can't see black being a difficult colour to match either so might be the ticket.

Same was for the e46, although the colour match was a bit harder. 4 different shades of black, all stupidly close to each other.
if you have the stuff to paint though, worth keeping an eye on ecp sales. I got the paint from car & colour for around £20 quid and the wing in a sale for £40.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
think a pair of new prepainted wings of ebay is £180, I changed one of mine due to a rusty bubble, came well packed and colour match is perfect

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Can buy the wings prepainted and ready to fit online it's that common. Cheap too. Can't see black being a difficult colour to match either so might be the ticket.
Need to look into that. How easy they are to fit etc.
Sounds like a great base you've got there (y) At least if you don't gel it won't be hard shifted on and if you do like it you'll only love it more as you tidy it up to your level of presentation. Look forward to the updates :grinning:
It's going to be a car of convinence, but will nice to tinker without it having to be wrapped in cotton wool.
think a pair of new prepainted wings of ebay is £180, I changed one of mine due to a rusty bubble, came well packed and colour match is perfect
Easy to fit ?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Very nice, and the wingbacks are a rare enough option. First mod if it hasn't already been done should be the flapper mod, 2 min and will cost you the price of a golf tee.
Tell me more, Adrian Flux actually WANT me to modify as its modified insurance till May

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Tell me more, Adrian Flux actually WANT me to modify as its modified insurance till May

The standard exhaust has a valve that closes over part of the system to reduce noise at lower speeds. The valve opens around 3k revs from memory to have the system wide open. By disconnecting the vacuum pipe that feeds the valve the system falls into 'wide open' by default so you get a deeper note from idle. The vacuum pipe just gets blocked with a golf tee and tucked away.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Good job Adam I’m sure it’ll no be too long untill you have it on its toes & gleaming, the wings aren’t overly hard to fit although knowing Youd be abit ocd 8o| The lining up might annoy you but only briefly lol

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Good job Adam I’m sure it’ll no be too long untill you have it on its toes & gleaming, the wings aren’t overly hard to fit although knowing Youd be abit ocd 8o| The lining up might annoy you but only briefly lol
There's a few bits more I've spotted that could do with paint so i might just leave it in somewhere. I'm also wary of getting it too good, it is never going to be a show car.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Need to look into that. How easy they are to fit etc.

It's going to be a car of convinence, but will nice to tinker without it having to be wrapped in cotton wool.

Easy to fit ?

yeah, gift, just don't refit the foam that's behind the originals. Pretty sure they are bonded to the body too near the wing mirror area.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Couldn't resist giving it a wash.

20191115_160843.jpg
20191115_160909.jpg
20191115_160855.jpg
20191115_160924.jpg

Despite how it looks , it's still filthy. Sun cream hand prints all over. And I mean all over. It must've been on holiday ^o)

So out of curiosity I give a couple of bits a quick rub by hand with Auto Finesse Tripple , it's going to come up alright once i get the rotary out and some cutting compound !
(Right door plastic "after")
20191115_160334.jpg

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I think I'm going to rattle can the rust. Sure can't look any worse and if it does the job for a while I'll get it fixed by a pro some stage.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think I'm going to rattle can the rust. Sure can't look any worse and if it does the job for a while I'll get it fixed by a pro some stage.

Doing that myself at the minute. Rust wasn't really visible but there was a couple of bubbles and they annoyed me.

If I could get wings off the shelf already painted I wouldn't even bother painting them myself. It's an absolute nightmare lol

Good fun

IMG_20191115_104854123.jpg

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Great spec list and I think it’ll be fantastic for you to have a car you can enjoy spanking a bit without the worries like you had with the Scooby.

and having bits to tinker with will be great too.
Health to enjoy her!

Lee

RMS Regular
Especially as they rot from the inside out because of the foam behind, no real point in painting them.

Nice car by the way, I agree with @Woodcutter its quite psni, no bad thing though, I always liked their R32 down our end, just needs a *FZ plate!

Reactions: Mel

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Doing that myself at the minute. Rust wasn't really visible but there was a couple of bubbles and they annoyed me.

If I could get wings off the shelf already painted I wouldn't even bother painting them myself. It's an absolute nightmare lol

Good fun

View attachment 256678
This is exactly what changed my mind on DIYing it. Noticed that wee edge to work to.
Sure how hard can it be :laughing:
What's your next step ? Mine is metallic so think I'll do what you've done then paint, then mask off a bit further back from the edge, laquer, then wet sand the masking line away when its cured. Then buff.
(Or maybe YouTube it first)

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Couldn't resist giving it a wash.

View attachment 256667View attachment 256668View attachment 256669View attachment 256670

Despite how it looks , it's still filthy. Sun cream hand prints all over. And I mean all over. It must've been on holiday ^o)

So out of curiosity I give a couple of bits a quick rub by hand with Auto Finesse Tripple , it's going to come up alright once i get the rotary out and some cutting compound !
(Right door plastic "after")
View attachment 256666
With a black car you will be well used to washing it. There a nightmare to keep anyway clean.