good solicitor for speeding offense

pope_acute

RMS Member
OP
pope_acute
Drives
MR2 GT-S Rev4
Nickyyy.
You're right I probably could have my barrister said. But it was the fact I admitted I was speeding that there has to be a sentence.

Alan_b
Wow that would be scary having to face that 130mph, but easily done in a t-bar turbo ;)

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Nickyyy.
You're right I probably could have my barrister said. But it was the fact I admitted I was speeding that there has to be a sentence.

Alan_b
Wow that would be scary having to face that 130mph, but easily done in a t-bar turbo ;)

It was actually my old 330CI. The tubby hasn't seen the roads in a year!

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Hmmm a few things here…hard for anyone to comment properly based on the limited info you’ve stated, someone would need to read the statements against you.
Is the offense only Excess Speed and no Careless?
If so…what’s the exact speed they are prosecuting you for?
They might have said they had to do 100+ to catch up but they would then have to state an exact speed they have you at (from them witnessing the Speedometer) and they would state how long they had you at this speed.

I can’t imagine the PPS directing to Prosecute (which they have since you have a summons) if the only evidence against you is “having to do 100+ to catch up with you”

For note- police would only be expected to show a calibration of their car speedometer of the margins were very small…eg 45 in a 30 etc

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
@NeilMcG fella going threw a similar scenario at the minute, worth fighting or take his salt?

Cops are cnuts!!!

I pulled away from a marked one coming off a roundabout, and because I accelerated up to 60 at full speed, it took them longer to catch up, so naturally I was speeding in their "opinion"

Told them where to go, said I accelerated to 60, why would I speed after having just overtaken a marked car, they then changed their tune saying the road was a 40mph limit. I said it's not it's 60(nsl) after a bit of looking around the car for defects they then changed their attitude again to its a 50mph road.

To which i told him to look behind him at the big white circle with a black line through it and tell me what that indicates a roads limit to be.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Cops are cnuts!!!

I pulled away from a marked one coming off a roundabout, and because I accelerated up to 60 at full speed, it took them longer to catch up, so naturally I was speeding in their "opinion"

Told them where to go, said I accelerated to 60, why would I speed after having just overtaken a marked car, they then changed their tune saying the road was a 40mph limit. I said it's not it's 60(nsl) after a bit of looking around the car for defects they then changed their attitude again to its a 50mph road.

To which i told him to look behind him at the big white circle with a black line through it and tell me what that indicates a roads limit to be.

From my experience it’s down to your attitude on how you get dealt with.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796

That's true most of the time. But there seem to be a good number that associate loud and fast with excess speed just because.

In the above encounter he asked why I was speeding, I was civil with them at first saying I was only doing 60 and that I had already seen them. But then he started pushing buttons fishing for a confession of speeding which is what gets on my nerves.

They always ask what speed you were doing in the hopes you will admit to being over. Even if you weren't. The fact they then checked all my tyres etc trying to find faults wound me up the most

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I overtook unmarked car doing ave 96 in a 60 over 1 mile distance. Did a "plead guilty by post" and wrote a few apologetic lines, explaining my stupidity and regret. I think court and police prefer it because they have much less hassle. Plus I didn't need a solictor or a day off work.
Got 3points and £100 which I thought was fair enough.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
“Nonchalant”in the context of a speeding stop:

92373216-4E1E-431A-9B29-CA55F97AFF57.jpeg

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Cops are cnuts!!!

While I don't share your opinion regarding out uniformed upholders of the law, I do have a similar story.....

Early hours of a Sunday morning heading from Ballynahinch to Downpatrick, driving my 32 year old Volvo 740. I was stuck behind a pick up truck from near enough B'hinch doing between 20 & 30mph, coming into Annacloy another car joined the convoy, being dark all I could see was headlights. Leaving the 40 zone I overtook the pick up and it was timed near enough that by the time I was exceeding 40mph I'd have been through the NSL speed gate. Found it strange the car behind me didn't follow but I carried on into D'patrick heading towards the hospital, third set of traffic light going through the town the "headlights" were behind me again, as I headed up the hill the blues came on. I pulled in, and the officer ask a number of questions about the car, is it mine, is it insured etc etc. Then he uttered his magic words, I was a bit sharp leaving Annacloy. SO I explained the above to him and said I seen this as the safest opportunity to overtake given I was still in a lit section of the road, could see the road ahead was clear and wouldn't be exceeding the speed limit. He then asked did I not see the Police car behind me. I said, yes I seen a car but couldn't tell what it was (turned out to be a new Octavia). After some checks and more questions, he says, it took us from there until here to catch up with you, a more stringent cop would book me for it. In a bit of disbelief I thanked him and carried on my journey, but thinking afterwards, surely if my 32yo 2 ton 120hp (assuming no horses escaped) Swedish tank was able to outrun a new Octavia I would have been stopped and questioned on the road into D'patrick and they wouldn't have stayed behind said pick up.

Anyway, that was about a year ago and I still find it funny!

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I'm fine with police but can be hit and miss with them even. Cops had a car pulled over on the hard shoulder. It went off on its way I was behind it and cops behind me. They came out with the lights still on so I naturally pulled in slightly to allow them passed. Still stayed behind me with the lights going.
Couldn't work it out so pulled in, she came up to me and goes did you pull in because of the lights 🙄 yes. She forgot to put them off coming out into traffic. Which is fine, but then she got my documents to check, 101 questions and a check over the car. Where as if she held her hands up and said sorry my mistake on your way it would have been a better experience.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I was coming off one of the roundabouts on the A8 in the Porsche and give it a bit of a squeeze, I didn’t break the speed limit at all as just as I had hit the throttle I seen a marked police car coming onto the roundabout from the opposite side of the carriageway. Yes I had give it a bit up to 70 but hadn’t went over it at all.

Anyway they came round the roundabout and then pulled me in. Told me I was speeding and that they had to do over 90 “just to catch up with me”

I retorted that given I was doing 70 and they were quite a distance behind me I wasn’t surprised and that the speed they were doing was totally irrelevant to what speed I was doing. That’s how it works to catch at a distance obviously they would need to do more speed and that the only variation the speed had was how quickly they came upon me.

He had a really bad attitude and called me a smartarse and that he could give me a ticket for excess speed or take it to court etc etc.

I pointed up and said, that’s great because that camera will show I wasn’t speeding and has captured this idiotic conversation.

He changed his tune and told me to go on my way and keep the speed down 😂

I’ve no problem getting a ticket if I have been speeding, it’s a risk we all take knowingly and you can’t be bitter about it but I wasn’t having that at all lol

big cyril

RMS Regular
The ‘We had to do x mph to catch up with you’ theory has come up multiple times over the years on here.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Cops are cnuts!!!

You knew exactly what you were at there ya ballix 🤣🤣🤣