GQ and Top Gear's Jason Barlow Joins Sold as Seen Podcast Episode 6

•   
See the blog feature on this - GQ Magazine. Top Gear. Loaded Magazine. Bond Cars. 12th July Riots. Eddie Irvine. Don't be a star f**ker. Firing Jonny Smith. The Kelly Show. Driven. Mike Brewer. Lauda. Paul Weller. Tarantino. Christian Bale. Matt Damon. Michael Caine.

You're going to be to be blown away. The story of local lad Jason Barlow, on writing the dream on the latest episode of the Sold as Seen Podcast.

Jason Barlow is Editor-At-Large at Top Gear magazine, and a contributor for GQ magazine where he has written articles for over 23 years and has recently released Amazon Best Seller Bond Cars: A Definitive History. He hails from Bangor, Northern Ireland and among many other things, he presented BBC2 Top Gear for 55 epsiodes replacing Jeremy Clarkson before the show was relaunched in 2002, worked with James May and Mike Brewer on Driven, and sabotaged his own interview for Max Power magazine with publisher EMAP in the '90s.
"Machines can create things of great emotion." Jason Barlow, Sold as Seen Podcast, Episode 6.
Jason is currently on our TV screens as a judge on ITV4's the Car Years, but it's his incredible automotive journalism and the column inches that followed that tell the real story. From Car Magazine to Loaded, to Top Gear Magazine and did I mention GQ? If you love cars, music, and film, prepare your ears for episode 6 of Sold as Seen.

Spotify Apple Podcasts Google Podcasts Soundcloud Acast YouTube RSS Feed or just ask Siri or Alexa to Play Sold as Seen Podcast

These show notes are to accompany episode 6 of the Sold as Seen Podcast.

The Road Rat

The Car Years – ITV4

You can find out more about Jason by following him on GQ: Jason Barlow or on social media @jasonbarlowuk

Jason’s Merc W123 and stunning Ferrari F355.

Important journalism at work in a Ferrari F8 Tributo.

Jason with Lewis Hamilton… and a motley crew that is the Sold as Seen team.

Extreme-E: https://www.extreme-e.com

How was the first Extreme E race? Our verdict - Motor Sport Magazine

Jason’s one time colleague at GQ, Boris Johnson. Source Car

Boris Johnson reviews the 2005 Vantage V8 | CAR Magazine

BMW iX

BMW takes another step on BEV mission with iX, i4 | Automotive News

McLaren Artura vs Lotus Emira

McLaren Artura - Wikipedia
New 2022 Lotus Emira starts bold new era for British brand | Auto Express

Ferrari 296 GTB

New Ferrari 296 GTB Dropped | GQ

Jason and the Trophy.

Dennis Hopper in the Ford Cougar Ad: Dennis Hopper - Ford Cougar ad Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I don't believe the future cars are consumer drivento a full extent. I believe if you strip a car and build a basic model it will sell as people don't want the faff. Look at the right to repair cases in the states with ev and others. Also prime example dacia stripped a car to basic and sold numbers.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I don't believe the future cars are consumer drivento a full extent. I believe if you strip a car and build a basic model it will sell as people don't want the faff. Look at the right to repair cases in the states with ev and others. Also prime example dacia stripped a car to basic and sold numbers.
True, there's a lot of regulation meaning that there is a minimum amount of tech and kit needs built in. Driver aids being the big one from lane assist to speed sign reading/limiters that are on their way. People do want adaptive cruise, carplay, wireless charging, parking cameras - but then that all costs too. The Dacia model is interesting too, I must get my hands on the Duster as its supposed to be quite a decent boggo vehicle. Just don't as long as I can put their terrible Queen based ad out of the back of my mind.

Reactions: Gaz

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
Really interesting stories from Jason Barlow there… the man has been pretty much living the petrol heads dream!
One thing I noticed is that he has encountered a vast amount of people in the automotive world but no matter how long ago it was that the story he was recalling occurred… he remembered their names. That says a lot about the man I think. Top bloke.
Fantastic episode again lads(y)

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
That was a really enjoyable podcast to record, I think we were all pretty much enthralled by the career Jason has had and the people he’s encountered over the years, never mind some of the fantastic cars he’s driven. A very intelligent, interesting and articulate guy who was kind enough to take some time to talk to us. And as @Arfur mentioned, his ability to recall so many specific names didn’t go unnoticed.

We’ve been very fortunate so far in that all our podcast guests have not only had really interesting stories they’re happy to share with us, but also make it easy for us in that they have been very good speakers and easy to listen to.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Just caught up with the last two episodes, you guys are on a roll with some great content! I’m not sure if it’s by design or just how it goes but the variety of guests and subjects is great, looking forward to the next episodes!

Enda

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
I really enjoyed that. It ended up being my entertainment for the drive up from Dublin and part of the way back down again!

Have to admit, after the first few minutes I thought it was going to be terrible as I can’t stand to be around name droppers but it was really interesting, he had so many great stories!

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Prior to hitting record he explained that he often came across as a terrible name dropper, but he really didn't mean to do it.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Just listened to this today. Great podcast! Well done getting such a great guest on, and even better that you all smashed the interview/chat. Well done!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Excellent episode, an obviously intelligent and articulate bloke who has had a hell of a career so far. Listened to this today while painting which lessened the pain of decorating.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Really enjoyed that, I’d say he could’ve filled a few episodes.

I laughed at the “you haven’t spoken for half an hour”.

Good use of the last 9 minutes too- of all the cars to ask about, let’s hear what his opinion is of an electric Kia. 🤦‍♂️

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Great job lads, very enjoyable. He’s a proper petrolhead.

I think you should interview Big Blue Winky next.....