Grandland X: Have Vauxhall Finally Cracked the SUV Market?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
About a year ago I was out with some close family for a meal, having just returned from a trip to England. As part of it I couldn't help but start a tirade on what was one of the most uncomfortable, gutless excuses for an SUV I've had the misfortune to sit in - a new Mokka.

Lo and behold, as we left the restaurant there was a brand new Mokka cab, owned by the aforementioned close family. People do still buy these, despite my embarrassment above (ok maybe faux embarrassment), so my next statement may hold no water.

So... I think the Grandland X looks like Currys [retailer, not the photographer] white goods, sounds like a 90s Japanese Import and I think Vauxhall have a long way to go yet. Where's that insignia flair? Friday afternoon phoned in stuff.

Last edited:

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
At a time when even the French are now chucking out decent looking SUV's and crossovers these are total meh.

Its only redeeming feature is that its not as dire looking as the mokka.

richiemucker

RMS Regular
Drives
E220
They have a long long way to go yet. Nothing very exciting design wise. Will be a firm favourite no doubt with the DLA crowd. The next Quashquai

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The old Frontera was actually a decent 4x4 with roots in Isuzu. The earlier diesels and 3.2 petrol using Isuzu engines and all others were essentially Isuzu aside from the engines and boxes. They were tough and reliable and from what I could tell rust wasn't a huge issue either.

Mk1's had decent levels of under body protection, separate chassis, low range and everything else you'd expect to see in a proper 4*4 (aside from live front axle and lockers). They even had leaf springs in the rear.

On the road they were 'okay' with IFS up front and decent power out of all but the smaller engined models. Not many actually made it off road, which lead to the softening of the Mk2's with plastic guards and use of coil springs and introduction of more refined diesel engine. The LWB models made a fine towing vehicle too.

Comparable to the Grandland? I'd say no. The only similarity is the vauxhall badge, but it's the same story for all SUVs these days. Sure look at what's happened to the Xtrail.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Who buy these cars? Looks like a quick attempt to catch up with the popular SUV market. Awful

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
These ugly SUV things appear to be the way things are going :worried: . I see Ford USA are dropping every car apart from the Mustang and replacing them with SUV's

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
So many breadvan types still being made. Even BMW has joined in ffs, who are they canvassing opinion from?
This is the thing. People are buying them. Hence we have the Q2, 2 series soccer mom edition, and renaults with Nissan badges on tap whack DLA.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
The old Frontera was actually a decent 4x4 with roots in Isuzu. The earlier diesels and 3.2 petrol using Isuzu engines and all others were essentially Isuzu aside from the engines and boxes. They were tough and reliable and from what I could tell rust wasn't a huge issue either.

Mk1's had decent levels of under body protection, separate chassis, low range and everything else you'd expect to see in a proper 4*4 (aside from live front axle and lockers). They even had leaf springs in the rear.

On the road they were 'okay' with IFS up front and decent power out of all but the smaller engined models. Not many actually made it off road, which lead to the softening of the Mk2's with plastic guards and use of coil springs and introduction of more refined diesel engine. The LWB models made a fine towing vehicle too.

Comparable to the Grandland? I'd say no. The only similarity is the vauxhall badge, but it's the same story for all SUVs these days. Sure look at what's happened to the Xtrail.

I was thinking that myself after reading the opening paragraph. The Frontera was a very good all round vehicle with very good levels of comfort and handling, towing ability, reliability (even the 2.2DTi surprisingly which was a headache in most other applications), off road capability within reason and practicality. Ours was very highly thought of, as were those that belonged to other people I know.

The older 2.5 4 cylinder VM engined Frontera’s were never going to set anyone’s world on fire as far as statistics went, but a very frugal and strong 4x4 that could out work much more expensive vehicles in its class.

Comparing modern SUV’s to the likes of the Frontera, XJ Cherokee, Hilux Surf etc that were once the definition of an SUV shows just how soft they have all become.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Cars have almost become domestic appliances

iu

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I was thinking that myself after reading the opening paragraph. The Frontera was a very good all round vehicle with very good levels of comfort and handling, towing ability, reliability (even the 2.2DTi surprisingly which was a headache in most other applications), off road capability within reason and practicality. Ours was very highly thought of, as were those that belonged to other people I know.

The older 2.5 4 cylinder VM engined Frontera’s were never going to set anyone’s world on fire as far as statistics went, but a very frugal and strong 4x4 that could out work much more expensive vehicles in its class.

Comparing modern SUV’s to the likes of the Frontera, XJ Cherokee, Hilux Surf etc that were once the definition of an SUV shows just how soft they have all become.

I guess there's no reason to have them set up for beating up greenlanes if they're never going to see that sort of action. Even the Cherokee these days is available in 2wd.

In saying that, 5 minutes with elderly or 2+ kids does show up some of the advantages of these sorts of cars. Plus elevated driving position for increased visibility and perceived safety.

The older stuff is always going to seem a bit more interesting. People are always going to wax lyrical about the cars of yesteryear and how much better they were, how much easier they were to work on and how everything made today is white goods rubbish.

Or are we genuinely mourning the loss of the last generation Almera, which the Quashqai replaced?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.