Great Ebay Ad

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
1995 BMW 318 I S AUTO RED Spares or Repair!

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Here for sale is my 318is auto.
Let's get this straight.. it's basically a heap. I bought it blind on Ebay for next to no money when I needed a car for a few months whilst I was car hunting, it has served it's purpose and never let me down!
It drives, it stops, it keeps the rain off and will most likely fail an MOT (airbag light is on). I also drove it (rather ambitiously) through a ford near my home, and failed to make it through. The water lever was slightly higher than normal after some storms.
See the pictures..
The engine stalled when I hit the water at something approaching light speed, the nose gracefully dove under the water, clogged up the airfilter and instantly stalled the engine.
I sort of floated along for a bit and eventually stopped in the middle of the river.
This was when the fun started.. I'm sat in the car, water is flooding in rather quickly through the not so perfect door seals. I decided to gather up my valuables (laptop, work and personal mobile), lobbed them all in my laptop bag, and thought on my escape plan. I glanced to the sky looking for inspiration (or salvation?) and realised that having a sunroof was more than just a needless luxury, but a cunningly useful vertical exit door. So, despite the fact it was electrically operated it worked! So I carefully placed my laptop bag out of the sunroof and rested it against the windscreen. Now, at this point I had an idea.

It felt like my wheels were resting on the bed of the river. Buoyed by my success at operating the sun roof, I decided to try and turn over the car in gear on the starter motor. I thought maybe I could crank the car out of the water and spare some blushes.

However, this was not such a good idea as I had first thought. When I attempted to turn the ignition, the windscreen wipers miraculously sprang into life. My laptop bag was now flying (sailing?) through the air towards Davey Jones' locker.
At this point I made a rather sharpish exit through the sunroof (whereby I scratched the roof) and jumped the 6 feet to the bank, where I managed to rescue the laptop bag before it serenely floated "Wilson-esque" into oblivion. Sadly it was pointless as laptop was submerged and my personal phone had gone...Anyway...

About and hour later I towed it out, then towed it to the nearest garage where I happened to know the owner. "Just keep driving up the road to the scrappy he said". He was probably right, seeing as at this stage there was still over a foot of water in the boot and I was sat in 2-3 inches around my ankles.
Still, never one to give in easily, I pulled the plugs, removed the air filter, turned it over with a massive borrowed battery. Jets of water exited the engine from the now vacant plug holes at approximately mach 1. I sprayed half the car park with Hampshire's finest BMW marinated river water.
I put everything back together (got the firing order wrong initially, but my garage buddy corrected me on this) turned it over for a few minutes and the blinking thing only went and started! It initially refused to drive at any more than 2.5k rpm but would rev at a standstill to the red-line. So I thanked my garage buddy and started off on my journey home. I went back a different way to avoid the Ford.. I may have been stupid earlier in the day, but twice?
The drive was slow and largely uneventful. Unless you include the fact I was producing more steam than a fine early locomotive. This was mostly burnt off
Parked on my driveway I had to get the water out from the rest of the car. Thankfully BMW anticipated my nautical antics and provided drain holes in mostly sensible places. A few hours later most of the standing water was out, and we had the benefit of an impromptu water feature. The neighbours were most impressed.
The next two weeks were spent drying out the car, removing and drying trim panels, dropping the oil and giving it a bit of a service. The front seats were replaced with a set of incorrect colour (but leather) seats. I wet-vacced it more times than I care to remember, and it amazingly did not smell bad at all!
I have since driven the car many thousands of miles. It just keeps on going!

Now it seems to have a few problems after all this.
Notably:
1. The airbag sensor that sits under the rear seats seems to be knackered, as a result the airbag light will not go out. Hence why I think it will fail the MOT.
2. The passenger rear arch is rusty, the others all look surprisingly ok?
3. The steering lock has been drilled out (see 4)
4. Ignition barrel spins, meaning the steering lock fails to unlock. However, now it's drilled it presents no problems :grinning:
5. Two keys provided, but one is a black and red flat-headed screwdriver. You have to use this to start the car (see pics), because of the ignition barrel issue. It's easy to do and I will show any new owner how it works. Been driving it this way since well before the river incident! Key still has to be in the ignition to ensure the EWS is disabled to allow the engine to start.
6. The alarm is included in the sale, but it was "de-installed" by a gorilla (possibly Jeremy Clarkson?) with a big pair of wire cutters.. See pictures.
7. It has a small oil leak somewhere, but still seems to run ok! Only noticed due to the new stain on the driveway.
8. One of the hinges of the glove box is broken, but it closes and stays shut.
9. The rear tyres are probably due to be replaced soon.
10. It's covered in scratches on the roof and boot, as I climbed all over the car in the "incident".
11. I accidentally pressure washed some of the paint off the rear bumper.
12. The rear spoiler wobbles a bit when driving at pretty much any speed.
13. The passenger side front brake dust shield has broken one of the mounts and can make a clank when going over a bump
14. The exhaust rattles a bit, but it just helps it sounds distinctive if you ask me..
15. There are no floor mats
16. The front bumper trim went awol in the sinking, so the (brand new) number plate is screwed directly into the bumper.
17. The spare wheel does not match the other 4 and the tyre is knackered. I think it was run flat for some miles.
18. The front seats do not have seat backs fitted, but they are included with the car.
19. Most of the sound proofing was waterlogged and has been removed.
20. The handbrake needs adjusting
21. I think there is a blow in the exhaust somewhere..
22. Probably loads more that I have forgotten. I will add more when I remember!

Good bits. .
1. It's got one new wiper..
2. I put new front discs and pads on a few thousand miles ago.
3. New oil, oil filter and air filter fitted.
4. Lots of sound proofing removed (lighter :laughing:)
5. The heater works.
6. It's got a few weeks MOT left.
7. It's got most of its tool kit!
8. Comes with some oil and an official bmw fire extinguisher
9. New PCV valve fitted a few months ago.
10. It's got some fuel in it..
11. I fitted some new ebay special BMW badges as they were looking a bit pants.
12. Has MOT till 24th of March
13. New windscreen was fitted last year
14. It had a new rearview mirror from ebay.
15. DAB radio retrofit/installation.... See pictures and below note!
16. Open packet of pear drops included. They are slightly stuck together.
17. Its got a new numberplate on the front.
18. The CD that was in it when I bought it will remain with the car. It does have music of some sort on it. (I think the first track is Bruce Springsteen)

If the car sells for more than £50 it will come with the "retro fitted" DAB (see the pictures). Its possibly the only 318 of this era to have DAB :laughing: You just have to remember to charge it up! If it fails to meet this costs, i will be un-installing the DAB "System"

The Pear drops are included in the sale regardless. I had one the other day, it was nice.

Buyer will have to take it away as it has no MOT or Tax but it does drive, I just started it earlier today and it workef fine! I was driving it daily up until I parked it up a few weeks ago

Payment by PayPal or cash preferred. You are bidding to buy, not look and haggle. It's not like I am hiding anything from you! I only started the auction at £9.99 to cover the listing fees...

Any questions let me know, I will be happy to answer!
Relisted due to previous buyer not collecting, so it now has no MOT left.

:laughing:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.