Great Hyundai Kona Electric on Test

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
See the blog feature on this - I get behind the wheel for this one:

You have to hand it to Hyundai. They have the incredibly lucrative SUV segment sewn up, with the Tuscon, Santa Fe and Kona, all well reviewed. Performance is now well covered off by the super fun i30N and the brand strides ahead of the competition in its second mainstream all electric offering... Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
The driveability of electric cars is something that needs to be experienced to be appreciated. It just so effortless.

Be interested to work out the mileage breakeven point on this versus the petrol version. A friend of mine was looking at one of these a month ago for his Mrs but it was way more expensive than it seems to be now.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
The driveability of electric cars is something that needs to be experienced to be appreciated. It just so effortless.

Be interested to work out the mileage breakeven point on this versus the petrol version. A friend of mine was looking at one of these a month ago for his Mrs but it was way more expensive than it seems to be now.
Fuel is now 25% cheaper at the moment, and its possible that the amount of typical road miles someone does will reduce due to distance working, making that a more difficult calculation.

No doubt about it daily driving an electric is fantastic.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
We were loaned one of these last year to use as a course car for the Ulster Rally. We were worried about range so Daly’s kindly trailered it to us and arranged collection again after the event. We needn’t have worried as despite being used at a “brisk pace”, the range left at the end would have easily done a return trip to Belfast. The guys driving it were impressed too.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Fuel is now 25% cheaper at the moment, and its possible that the amount of typical road miles someone does will reduce due to distance working, making that a more difficult calculation.

No doubt about it daily driving an electric is fantastic.

If you take just the difference in lease payment against the petrol/hybrid version is £120ish a month. That's going to equate to about 1200 miles at £1.10 a litre and 50MPG, so you'd need to be doing 15k+ a year I reckon by the time you take in to account the cost to charge the electric model.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
We were loaned one of these last year to use as a course car for the Ulster Rally. We were worried about range so Daly’s kindly trailered it to us and arranged collection again after the event. We needn’t have worried as despite being used at a “brisk pace”, the range left at the end would have easily done a return trip to Belfast. The guys driving it were impressed too.

The Koreans are smashing it with EVs at the minute. The 64kwh Niro/Kona/Soul are all real-world 300 mile range cars.

Jonny Smith had a good video recently of the Soul. It's not subtle styling but I like it