Great Steed Indeed: Pickup from China Surprises

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
On the RMS Blog: When I first talked about the Great Wall, the owner of another brand of pickup truck was slating the Great Wall as an unknown quantity and “what good is a warranty when the pickup spends most of its time in the Dealers rather than working”, surmising that they are terrible and have a huge warranty to justify how poor they are.

With a 125k miles, 6 year warranty the Great Wall Steed certainly got the backs up of many other commercial vehicle manufacturers out there. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Drove 1 of these briefly, and compared to the L200 Trojan, base model Hilux and latest model Navara I have driven recently, I would opt for it before the other 3 competitors as far as the 'ride' goes. I liked the steering, and imagine it would be handy for the rough terrain.

It's only down side with being as light as it is, albeit a great factor towards fuel economy, is the restricted towing capacity. The latest Isuzu offering can legally tow 3.5 tons, whereas the Steed's 2.5 ton is close to the Hilux's rather disappointing 2.8 ton limit, yet boasts a price tag in excess of £11,000 less, which should leave the Hilux's sitting on the forecourt for anyone needing a pickup with the maximum tow capacity.

The warranty is another great aspect of this new brands great sales pitch, as it's twice that of the aforementioned overpriced Hilux, and a further year more than the £25k Isuzu can offer.

I'd definitely like to put a Steed through its paces off the highway, and indeed with a loaded trailer, just to see if it really is the best all round option for anyone in the market for a new crew cab commercial.

Don't be afraid to ring me the next time you're offered one for the weekend :p

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Was there not talk when these first cane out that after a year they had a ridiculous amount of rust etc?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Was there not talk when these first cane out that after a year they had a ridiculous amount of rust etc?

Possibly surface rust, but if I was to take pics of the 2011-2014 commercials I work on, you'd be disgusted if you owned 1. That includes the Hilux, Navara, L200, Shogun, Transits, Sprinters etc. The Amarok is 1 of the few that doesn't show signs of scabs, as with the Crafters and Caddys compared to other manufacturers in their categories, showing that VW are 1 of the only brands that seem to take rust protection seriously.

The first time Great Wall have to warrant a vehicle due to rust issues will be when they step up their game to take over the market further, though with galvanised panels and coated chassis', they're going the right way already from what I can see.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Neighbour has two 2013 Merc vito I think there called and the rust on them is laughable.not for him I'm sure but when you by a Mercedes in 2015 it should not be like that in 24 months or less.they have been like that from around 12 months old .

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
You say rust but I imagine most of the people that buy these kinds of vehicles are for farm use and from what I've seen they don't get wash too often and when they do its just a blow over with a power hose or an mot wash once a year with wheel barrow loads of muck hanging off them.

All that helps the damp soak into the paint and rust to set in.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The biggest draw back for them is the availability of spares. Thump a warrior into a gate post and you'll have plenty of choice of spare parts to sort it. Do it to a great wall and it'll more than likely be open wallet surgery at the dealer.

By design nearly all pick ups and those based on pickups are poor at towing. Restrictive turning circle, light on the back end and usually have limited capacities, presumably because they can take a large load in the bed (ooh err lol).

There's plenty enough of them in Australia so they must be alright.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Reminds me of my Dads Ssyangyong thing. He has had two of the horrid things now and I can't for the life of me see why. Slow, uncomfortable, noisey, unrefined, ignorant driving thing.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
The biggest draw back for them is the availability of spares. Thump a warrior into a gate post and you'll have plenty of choice of spare parts to sort it. Do it to a great wall and it'll more than likely be open wallet surgery at the dealer.

Bound to be some Chinese non genuine panels made for them already :p

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
The rust thing i haven't heard of from the dealers and with galvanised panels isn't something that can easily happen unless the panels have been mistreated.

As for parts, they would be handy enough got, the Great Wall's are huge in OZ and South Africa from what I know meaning blueprinted parts will be easily imported

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
LJ70's are also huge in both OZ and SA and I struggle to get some bits for mine at sensible money.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Are they new or old parcels though, New parts would be much easier to find

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Have seen a few of these on the road, on googling for reviews from owners reliability seems poor

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.