Green mound on convertible roof cloth

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
The Gtechniq website states that I1 Smart Fabric AB V3 (bit of a mouthful that) can be used on all fabrics including convertible roofs.

It definitely didn’t work on my roof, it left a white sheen all over it. The non AB product was fine.
B3EC8FC6-0A2E-4311-9675-C7502801FA72.jpeg

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
That’s V2 in the photo. They must have released V3 since and website now states it’s compatible with convertible roofs.

Yeah it was v2 I had, helpfully it had nothing on the bottle about not using it on roofs. Just on that post

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
Stuff all here now, going to take a look at it tomorrow. (Fallout not for roof)
B7A1B724-5A7D-4413-A23D-14B6787ADC22.jpeg

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
I wouldn’t be putting those drill brushes anywhere near the roof. Normally the yellow/black are the stiff brushes.

100%. Isn’t it the white ones that are considered the softest? Surely a nail brush or two would be the best option.
Looking forward to seeing the results. And not in an ar5ey ‘oh look he put a hole in the soft top with a drill brush’ way.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’m using the yellow drill brushes for cleaning underside of the impreza before I coat it with clear wax and they are doing a great job but you can see in the photo that it’s on a very hard wearing undersealed surface not a delicate soft top roof.

91477CCC-0704-45AD-81F1-C8B04C7C434C.jpeg

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
100%. Isn’t it the white ones that are considered the softest? Surely a nail brush or two would be the best option.
Looking forward to seeing the results. And not in an ar5ey ‘oh look he put a hole in the soft top with a drill brush’ way.

Yes the white ones are softer. Have used them before on convertibles but still need to be careful. I had recommended the Vikan nail brush earlier in the thread - great for this type of job.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
Brush attachments on a drill will save you time and effort. Great for scrubbing in general

Amazon product ASIN B08RZCM2N3

I’m using the yellow drill brushes for cleaning underside of the impreza before I coat it with clear wax and they are doing a great job but you can see in the photo that it’s on a very hard wearing undersealed surface not a delicate soft top roof.

View attachment 389541
Why did you post a link to the wrong ones then?
I wouldn’t be putting those drill brushes anywhere near the roof. Normally the yellow/black are the stiff brushes.
I only bought what was linked on page one, I had no idea hence on here asking for advice 🤷‍♂️

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I just posted a general link to brushes, didn’t know there were different strengths until I seen the posts above.

Last edited:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
I just posted a general link to brushes, didn’t know there were different strengths until I seen the posts above.
I did not mean to be ungrateful, and I can see you didn’t specifically recommend them, but I just blindly bought those yellow ones assuming they were right, and had planned through the week to use a few hours today in the good weather to clean it.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
No probs. Maybe try a nail brush first to see how that goes it will just take longer

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Soak in moss cleaner or similar first to kill off the algae? Or whatever other poison works on them. Should make it easier to clean them off too.

Other than that it's just elbow grease and whatever cleaner you have to hand. Will take a few attempts. Might not get perfect if it's too far gone.

If something like Citraclean is not enough then a carpet/fabric cleaner might help, like Solapower (other brands are available 😇).

Powerhose won't make any difference unfortunately. Soak in cleaner, scrub, rinse, repeat.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
Soak in moss cleaner or similar first to kill off the algae? Or whatever other poison works on them. Should make it easier to clean them off too.

Other than that it's just elbow grease and whatever cleaner you have to hand. Will take a few attempts. Might not get perfect if it's too far gone.

If something like Citraclean is not enough then a carpet/fabric cleaner might help, like Solapower (other brands are available 😇).

Powerhose won't make any difference unfortunately. Soak in cleaner, scrub, rinse, repeat.
Looking at it again, it’s actually a good bit better. Another couple of goes should do it. Will try a few other cleaners

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I tried pretty much everything and various concoctions of my own on my A4 cab roof and there was always a few bits of bloom that would never come out, especially around the rear window area, where the fabric isn’t very flexible. I think once that kind of thing sets in, it’s there forever.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
A couple of hour spent on it and whilst it’s better it’s still green 👎🏻
Previously had good success with a weak autoglym TFR solution, then resealed with fabsil or alternatively the autoglym convertible kit which has a cleaner and a sealer. I normally use the tfr/cleaner with a nail scrubber brush which lifts most of it.