Greenlight - Japanese Import and non-abi listed vehicle Insurance (01277 650866)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Everyone,

We've spent considerable time working upon schemes and are pleased to confirm that after some extensive work and lobbying with regard to non-ABI listed vehicles (including Japanese imports).

For years we have had to adopt the ABI vehicle schedule, but with effect from today have schemes available to cater for models that are not ABI listed or recognised.

Many thanks to those of you who own these models and have shown patience to date. After all this time of having to turn away some great risks we are really pleased to be able to handle non-ABI recognised models (in particular Japanese imports) and we now look forward to hearing from you.

We have several supportive Underwriters, but do recognise that some imported models will not currently be present upon our online system.

If you can't find your specific model upon our online list, it's likely that we'll be able to handle this with a manual override.

To obtain an accurate, competitive quotation, the best option for an imported vehicle would be to call our dedicated quotation team on 01277 650866.

Kind regards

Tony

Last edited:

belfastchris

RMS Regular
Drives
E61msport
Whoever pinned this - Many thanks for the sticky!

Kind regards

Tony

Tony would this include for example the Honda integra DC5 or Ep3 civic import? if so i was told before renewing last week that 'in the near future all insurance companies are having to adobt one system that couldnt include grey imports and thus such cars would soon be un-insurable' how come things have changed?

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Chris,

Most Insurers will use the industry standard Association of British Insurers (ABI) classification listing, which is what we have also been using for many years.

We've been working upon this for some time now behind the scenes in relation to both developing bespoke systems to handle the vehicle models and also agreeing the terms with several of our available Underwriters, which includes rating and the transmission of risk data for non-classified vehicles. With everything in place, today was the first time that our front line advisers would have seen these schemes as available.

It's taken a while to agree this and to get this up and running, there's been investment in bespoke systems, so it's likely that we'll be covering these for some time now.

Kind regards

Tony

P.S. The DC5 in particular is a model that we have been looking to cover for some time now, so we're really pleased to be able to

Tony would this include for example the Honda integra DC5 or Ep3 civic import? if so i was told before renewing last week that 'in the near future all insurance companies are having to adobt one system that couldnt include grey imports and thus such cars would soon be insurable' how come things have changed?

Ashton

RMS Regular
Drives
Im looking at taking out a new policy in the next 48hours - do you cover s2000s now?

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi hannakournikova,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Nissan wise, we can cover most other models and are able to cover the 300zx, 350z/fairlady, Skyline, Pulsar and Sunny GTiR models. But the Nissan 200sx is still a model that we are unable to assist with, which was solely due to consistently poor claims performance for 3 or more consecutive years (primarily as a result of single vehicle loss of control accidents).

Kind regards

Tony

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Ashton,

Thanks for thinking of us.

Having checked today, the S2000 is unfortunately a model that we will not be able to cover.

Whilst we can cover the NSX, Civic Type R (Ek9, EP3,FN2), Integra DC2 and DC5, Prelude Vti, Accord R models - the S2000 is a model that (in the same way as the Nissan 200sx) has been consistently loss making. Sorry, but unfortunately it's not something that we're going to be able to source a competitive rate for.

Kind regards

Tony

Im looking at taking out a new policy in the next 48hours - do you cover s2000s now?

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi KillerJim,

I'm afraid not.

Our scheme Underwriters have not had the best of times with TVR models and they are still beyond the acceptance criteria of our current schemes.

You've had TVR models for pretty much as long as i've been upon RMS and if our scheme does expand to cover TVR models, with your length of ownership and experience in mind you would be the perfect first TVR customer to cover.

We're always lobbying for scheme expansion and (as we have just done for non-ABI models) I'll post to advise if we do succeed in developing a TVR scheme.

Thanks once again for taking the time to enquire.

Kind regards

Tony

KillerJim

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 / TVR
Yeah, remember asking that question many moons ago :grinning:

I don't want you to go to alot of effort, mainly because my current insurance is only £650 a year - however business is business, so if you think there's a chance please feel free to work on it.. A guaranteed value would be required, given the TVR (4 years later) is now worth more than when I bought it.. and the prices keep going up :grinning:

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Jim,

The Insurance deal that you currently have for the TVR at £650.00 does sound really competitive, considering the repair cost.

You're one of the long time RMS good guys and if this was within our usual remit I would be able to influence this, but with the vehicle model and repair cost in mind it's unlikely that we'll be able to get anywhere near your renewal offer.

I do genuinely appreciate you thinking of us and should you ever change to an alternative model that we are able to cover at some stage in the future I would welcome the opportunity to assist (and would personally oversee this for you).

Kindest regards

Tony

Yeah, remember asking that question many moons ago :grinning:

I don't want you to go to alot of effort, mainly because my current insurance is only £650 a year - however business is business, so if you think there's a chance please feel free to work on it.. A guaranteed value would be required, given the TVR (4 years later) is now worth more than when I bought it.. and the prices keep going up :grinning:

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Hi Tony,

Does this include the MK1 Skoda Octavia VRS?

DC2 Davy

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM ITR
Hey guy's, i got a phone call informing me about your change in laws and insuring jap imports, i filled in a form, got a quote, made a call to make sure it was all actually true and proper as i was pretty stunned, i need not say no more.. only thing im missing out on is the benefit off driving other cars as i ain't 25 yet :worried: lol, give them a go!!

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
I was insured with you's for 4 years with no claims and was pleased with your service.

I owned a UK Integra DC2 and a JDM Civic ek9 but when I bought a JDM Integra earlier in the year I was told that Greenlight could not cover on that particular car so unfortunately I had to move insurance companies

Its good to see that Greenlight is finally able to cover JDM integras and other vehicles that could not be covered in the past (y)

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi tomah,

We've had an overhaul of models and postcode areas over the last 6 weeks, which has resulted in our being able to quote for a lot more risks.

Skoda wise, we can now cover all Octavia V/RS models and we are also able to cover the newer performance Fabia models, but the early MK1 Fabia is still currently excluded.

Kind regards (and thanks for checking) (y)

Tony

Hi Tony,

Does this include the MK1 Skoda Octavia VRS?

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Thanks DC2 Davy,

With our now being able to extend our preferentially rated schemes to cover additional models, such as JDM/non-ABI listed vehicles you'll be able to benefit from another option for your Insurance cover.

We've been aiming to do this for some time now.

It had been a case of having the will to cover the vehicles, but being restricted by the Association of British Insurers vehicle schedule in terms of being able to store or transmit your risk details to Insurers or the Motor Insurers Database. Having worked with our Insurers to find a way around this and following successful trials we're happy to say that (as you found) we can offer a competitive option for your JDM/Japanese Imported model Insurance.

Kind regards

Tony

Hey guy's, i got a phone call informing me about your change in laws and insuring jap imports, i filled in a form, got a quote, made a call to make sure it was all actually true and proper as i was pretty stunned, i need not say no more.. only thing im missing out on is the benefit off driving other cars as i ain't 25 yet :worried: lol, give them a go!!

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi StephenDc2,

You've been a great customer over the years and losing people like you due to a system restriction was hugely frustrating and unacceptable to all concerned.

Adding JDM models to the vehicles that we can cover is something that we have been aiming to do for quite some time now, so we're really pleased about being able to be able to expand to cover these models for you.

With the DVLA registration search for imported models not always sourcing the correct model (due to imperfect DVLA data or the vehicle not being within grouping schedules) tracing some models can be problematic.

If you do experience difficulty tracing a JDM model our dedicated telephone team are here to help and can be reached by calling 01277 376000 during office hours. Our advisers will be able to set up, or correct a record for you and can provide a quotation via the telephone - which if you express a preference to do so, we can also set up online access for you that will allow you to log into your application (or purchase) online.

We're hopeful that this will be of use to performance model JDM/non-ABI vehicle owners and would welcome the chance to bring you back to Greenlight (y)

Kindest regards

Tony

I was insured with you's for 4 years with no claims and was pleased with your service.

I owned a UK Integra DC2 and a JDM Civic ek9 but when I bought a JDM Integra earlier in the year I was told that Greenlight could not cover on that particular car so unfortunately I had to move insurance companies

Its good to see that Greenlight is finally able to cover JDM integras and other vehicles that could not be covered in the past (y)

marcdh

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda AZ-3
Hey Tony,

Just off the phone there to Greenlight. Last year I insured with you for a brief period a Mazda Eunos Presso (The JDM Mx-3). This year I am told the only Eunos on the ABI list is the Mx-5 and I cannot be insured on any JDM Mx-3. Could you please clarify what has changed? The car I'm actually interested in insuring with you is the 1498cc EUNOS AZ3 COUPE which comes up as Group G on the thatcham ABI search.

Many thanks,
Marc

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Marc,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

We are able to cover non-abi listed vehicles, so i'm unsure as to why the vehicle not being listed upon the ABI register was a problem as we have an option to override in most cases. It's more likely that the factor that may have influenced this is the model being classed as a model below the performance car requirements of our scheme.

Either way i'm happy to take a look at this for you. So if you don't mind doing so, can you PM me your actual name and postcode, along with the year, value and any modifications present for the Eunos.

I'll then be able to take a look at this in detail and will revert to you (y)

Kind regards

Tony

jirvine75

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything german
Hi Tony

My son got a quote of you for his DC2 import which he tried to take out yesterday. He was told you cannot do installments on 3PFT only fully comp - which is a fair bit more expensive. Is this defo right? At over £1k I think its a bit unreasonable to expect this in a one-off payment :confounded:

datsun9292

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan Almera GT
I know this is not strictly a "Do you insure my car" question, but, im currently wondering if Greenlight, allow for Direct Debit nowadays?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.