Greenlight - Your views please for a prospective additional Insurer for our RMS panel

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Everyone,

We have been in discussions with an Insurer to add to our range of Underwriters for both mainland and Northern Irish risks, they are quite different in terms of their approach to how they rate risks and they target drivers without NCB, or with only 1 or 2 years NCB in their own name.

Their view is that they are looking to cover individuals that wish to take a higher proportion of the risk themselves and in place of traditional NCB they favour a really large policy excess.

The policy excess is £3000.00 for male drivers, or £1500.00 for female drivers and applies to ALL sections.

All sections excesses relate to damage to your vehicle by accident, fire, theft or malicious damage - and where this excess is different to most other Insurers that we deal with is it also applies to 'Damage to Third Parties').

The vehicle must be worth in excess of £4000, but the Insurer will cover all types of vehicle from basic to sports/supercars and their view is that with the larger excess their policyholder will be taking additional care.

Our view is that this policy isnt going to suit everyone, but it will give people a foot on the ladder who are starting out on their own and Insuring a vehicle in their own name for the first time, coming off a company car scheme, or who have lost their NCB after a claim under their policy (as they do not load past or present claims).

At this stage they do not cover modified vehicles, but they would represent a stepping stone that will get drivers (without NCB, without performance car driving experience, or with no NCB due to claims) through until you qualify for our main performance car schemes in Northern Ireland.

We're checking through their policy wordings, terms of business etc as part of our due diligence process, but I would be interested in the views of the RMS community as to whether you would consider a product of this nature (ie. stepping stone/rehab).

Your comments would be appreciated!

Kind regards

Tony

pablo

RMS Moderator
sounds interesting alright, does that mean if you hit someone and they claim then you have to pay towards their repairs (to the value of your excess)? Even if you dont repair your own car? Or does the excess only apply to repairs on your own car?

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Pablo,

Many thanks for the quick response!

Exactly that,

We do not currently deal with an Underwriter who operate this kind of excess (contribution toward all claims inc Third Party) and it will not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you've been unlucky and got zero NCB through claims, have no performance car experience, have zero NCB, but are confident in your driving ability it would give you a route to getting on (or back on) the Insurance ladder.

Other scenarios that immediately spring to mind are situations where you were looking for an introductory discount after years of driving upon parents policy, under a company car policy or for a 2nd car - but have had an accident on that policy for which you were either fully or partially to blame, which would effectively mean that you wouldnt qualify for an introductory discount.

Clearly if you have accrued NCB and qualify for other more mainstream schemes this one probably will not appeal to you, but if you're confident in your driving ability and brave enough to wish to share the risk with the Insurer they would be happy to accomodate.

They're not live with us yet, but as part of the formalities we wanted to gauge the views of some of our preferred forum memberships - for me RMS is certainly one.

Kind regards

Tony

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
Sounds like a great idea for young pups and late starters. Dare say my better half would have taken you up on that after passing her test lately if the money was right.

As it stands, she has to build up a years no claims before she can approach youselves as you currently require at least one year NCB.

j

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi J,

Our current performance/modified scheme Underwriters require NCB and do exclude historically unprofitable risk profiles (inc. some vehicle models, conviction types, accident/claim records) which does mean that we cannot always help everyone.

Part of my role (as Greenlight's ambassador for Northern Ireland) has been to work upon finding suitable products to fill the gaps, along with raising the profile of the Northern Irish market with our mainland Insurer connections.

I recognise that whilst we have expanded our schemes through gaining experience and establishing a proven track record with Northern Irish business, there are still gaps within what we could cover for you and we have been looking at ways that we could help improve the coverage in place of simply being unable to assist or suggesting an alternative company who may be able to help.

Kind regards

Tony

pablo

RMS Moderator
Hi Pablo,

Many thanks for the quick response!

Exactly that,

I think the thought of having to pay up to 3k to a 3rd party claim may put people off. I dont think they would mind a massive excess on their own car, as you could fix it at your leisure. But accidents do happen and if you had one you would have to find the excess pretty much straight away I guess.

Other than that it seems a great idea, and a great way back to some NCB.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Point taken - I agree, the excess for male drivers (£3000) or female drivers (£1500) is high - the reason that we are considering offering this product at all is that it will still appeal to some people and it does cover an area within Northern Ireland that we currently do not.

They cover every performance/supercar for drivers without NCB, thus the excess.

An all sections excess would operate as a contribution toward the entire claim, thus if your vehicle had sustained damage for fire, theft or accident it would apply to your vehicle first.

In event there was no damage to your vehicle but damage to a Third Party (ie. parking incident, light clip, hit TP in rear) you would be paying toward the other party's costs, but in the same way as quite a lot of new drivers, or drivers with 1-2 years NCB do now in event of light damage you could still deal directly with the Third Party individual to pay for the damage to their vehicle (thus having an input into controlling the costs).

Kind regards

Tony

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
The other gaping hole I see is the limit in value is £4k, and the excess for a male driver is £3k - The premium payments on top of this will bring you damn near the value of the car.

We all know how insurance companies like to dodge the bullet so to speak and blame anyone else that means they don't have to pay out. If their liability becomes smaller, they will care even less about who was actually at fault, drop a 50-50 settlement and the driver gets raped.

Definitely wouldn't be a scheme I'd be remotely interested in.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
a small bump is ok, you could prob sort someones motor and your own within the 3k excess by sorting it for yourself, but i'd always be worried of the personal injury claims etc and write off jus leaving u expected to stump up 3k...

be tough going

has this scheme run successfully in other area's before Tony or is it just a new thing?

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Sgt Major,

Many thanks for the feedback.

The £4000 value is the minimum value requirement (ie to qualify the vehicle must be worth more than £4000) and the maximum value is £100,000.

They can cover Porsche, Ferrari, Aston, Lotus, Maserati in addition to the usual performance models - which will mean that values (and repairs if you have to claim) will be higher.

In this day and age with regulation as it is unless there is an element of fraud (inc non-disclosure) by the policyholder 'dodging the bullet' is not an option. We have gone on about disclosure before, but be up front an there will be no bullet dodging by ANY Insurer.

I've ran some comparisons upon some performance cars to give an idea as to how competitive they will be:

Postcode: BT
Vehicle: Lotus Elise
Vehicle Value: £16k
Modified: No
Cover: Comprehensive inc Windscreen
NCB: 0 Years
History: Fault Claim within last 12 months
Male Driver Premium £1599 (£3000 ASXS)
Female Driver Premium £1159 (£1500 ASXS)

Vehicle: M3 CSL (E46), Porsche 3.2 Boxster S or 911/Carerra, Monaro VXR, Audi RS4, Nissan 350z, Toyota Supra Turbo
Vehicle Value: £19k
History: At Fault Claims within last 12 months
Male Driver Premium £1392 (£3000 ASXS)
Female Driver Premium £1099 (£1500 ASXS)

Vehicle: M3 CSL (E46), Porsche 3.2 Boxster S or 911/Carerra, Monaro VXR, Audi RS4, Nissan 350z, Toyota Supra Turbo
Vehicle Value: £19k
Male Driver Premium £985 (£3000 ASXS)
Female Driver Premium £842 (£1500 ASXS)

Vehicle: Mazda RX-8, VW Golf GTI-T 200, Audi TT 225, Focus ST, Astra VXR
Vehicle Value: £18k
Male Driver Premium £1086 (£3000 ASXS)
Female Driver Premium £864 (£1500 ASXS)

Vehicle: Mazda RX-8, VW Golf GTI-T 200, Audi TT 225, Focus ST, Astra VXR
Vehicle Value: £18k
Male Driver Premium £1692 (£3000 ASXS)
Female Driver Premium £1206 (£1500 ASXS)

The above examples are comparisons that will vary depending upon individual circumstances, but give you an idea as to the kind of rates you'd be looking at.

This would be in addition to our existing schemes (that require NCB and quote under strict criteria to ensure we can remain competitive for the majority of risks). The Insurer requires ZERO NCB and claims have no bearing upon their rating of risks.

We've tries to envisage the scenarios in which people would use this scheme, but clearly those of you with 2+ years NCB and a claim free record would probably be less interested.

Your feedback is important to me, so please keep it coming (y)

Kind regards

Tony

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Thats impressive, I wouldn't mind chancing the higher excess, would keep your driving sensible too if you knew you had a hefty excess hit. Ideal for first time sports car drivers until they find their feet.

I have just changed over to greenlight and must say the service and price were just unbeatable, customer for life (y)

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Mook,

Good to hear from you.

It's been running succesfully in Southern Ireland for several years and they are expanding their product to the UK market.

This would sit in addition to our existing NCB requiring schemes and as mentioned before will only really interest those of you without NCB/experience or with fault claims.

Kind regards

Tony

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
So, basically all you're doing is putting on a mahoosive excess to bring the premium down, right?

Sounds like it could appeal to some folks all right.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Gee/Pete,

It's hard to see as to whether these rates are competitive as zero NCB/no experience or poor claims experience for sports/prestige cars isn't an area of the market that we currently cover or are familiar with.

We do however recognise that people need to start somewhere, or need to get their record back on track and this seems to be a product that fits with that ethic.

Kind regards

Tony

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi ZS,

The 'mahoosive' excess is compulsory from this Insurer and they see this as a feature that replaces the need for NCB.

Realistically, once you have earned NCB and have experience you would move onto greener pastures (no pun intended) with Insurers that give concessions for NCB/experience.

In this day and age we rarely come across things that are way different, but substituting a big excess for NCB and applying an ALL SECTIONS excess that includes damage to Third Parties certainly is.

Kind regards

Tony

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
I can confirm it's not Quinn direct.

Quinn prefer to purely deal directly with the public for personal Motor Insurance rather than via brokers.

I'll confirm more details if/when we conclude a deal with them but I have researched their backing, which is from a large German Insurer/Reinsurer.

Kind regards

Tony

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
Hi Sgt Major,

Many thanks for the feedback.

The £4000 value is the minimum value requirement (ie to qualify the vehicle must be worth more than £4000) and the maximum value is £100,000.

They can cover Porsche, Ferrari, Aston, Lotus, Maserati in addition to the usual performance models - which will mean that values (and repairs if you have to claim) will be higher.

That's not so bad then lol!

I wasn't having a dig at you guys for bullet dodging, but we all can name insurance companies that play the stupid games and bully boy tactics. I've a case running against one at the minute as you'll know from my policy with yourselves.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
That's not so bad then.

This is kind of the conclusion that we are coming to, I totally understand that this will not be for everyone but it does give people an option where there currently isn't one.

I wasn't having a dig at you guys for bullet dodging, but we all can name insurance companies that play the stupid games and bully boy tactics.

Having worked in Insurance for in excess of 20 years I have encountered several Insurers that have tried to operate that way.

As a broker we vote with our feet and are astute enough to do proper research into any company that we recommend here at Greenlight, thus we wouldn't expose our reputation to companies with questionable claims performance.

We maintain systems and controls that continually monitor performance of Insurers we trade with, thus should an existing Insurer's service detioriate we would raise issues with them at senior management level, impose sanctions or withdraw them from our panel.

As a broker we are employed by YOU, we have no ties and are wholly independent from our scheme/Open Market Insurers.

I've a case running against one at the minute as you'll know from my policy with yourselves.

I know that you've a policy with us, but if I can lend a hand or give you some advice in relation to a problem with a case with your prior Insurer dont hesitate to PM me (y)

Kind regards

Tony

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Would this not encourage, or at least permit, under-experienced drivers to buy powerful cars and insure them cheaply (although legally). I always viewed insurance as a kind of limit to what car you could buy, so all those years driving carefully and building NCBs on less powerful vehicles, helped you gain valuable driving experience? The folks that insurance companies classify as high risk don't often see themselves that way and may unwittingly get themselves into serious financial trouble.

greenlight said:
it does give people an option where there currently isn't one.

I can see it working for some who have unfortunately lost their NCBs, and already own performance cars etc, but for young drivers with little or no experience I would be thinking this type of offer is bordering on irresponsible. Sorry.

Thanks
Adam

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
OP
Tony@Greenlight
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Saxo man,

The ethos of the Underwriter in question is different to just about every other Insurer that we currently have trading arrangements with.

From a Greenlight perspective, there is no real substitute for actual NCB or proven experience and policyholders who have built up to owning or have owned the vehicle they are looking to Insure for some time do represent better risks - which is what we reflect within our current/existing schemes.

Our existing scheme Insurers all operate in the manner that you suggest, which is the age old prudent building blocks of experience where you build up to the final vehicle.

The prospective company take the view that people have to start somewhere to build their experience/NCB, or in some cases deserve a 2nd chance in life. Whilst an alternative view, their idea is very much that the huge excess itself is the deterrent to driving like an idiot.

They would clearly give brave individuals a chance to prove themselves, which would then lead to their being able to build a record that would allow them to access the traditionally rated schemes within a year or two.

Kind regards

Tony

Ep3 typeR

RMS Regular
Drives
FN1
Would this not encourage, or at least permit, under-experienced drivers to buy powerful cars and insure them cheaply (although legally). I always viewed insurance as a kind of limit to what car you could buy, so all those years driving carefully and building NCBs on less powerful vehicles, helped you gain valuable driving experience? The folks that insurance companies classify as high risk don't often see themselves that way and may unwittingly get themselves into serious financial trouble.

I can see it working for some who have unfortunately lost their NCBs, and already own performance cars etc, but for young drivers with little or no experience I would be thinking this type of offer is bordering on irresponsible. Sorry.

Thanks
Adam

good point

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.