Greers of Antrim Volvo Closed Down

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Just heard that Volvo Franchise Greers of Antrim closed at short notice this morning. Awful news.

1569614740528.jpeg

Last edited:

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Wow! Never used them but a well established business. Did they not recently have a refurbishment?

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
They moved from the big site on the main road up near the dump. To round behind townparks sort of out of the way which I always thought was strange.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Yeah the new site also seemed cramped compared to the old one. Used them a few times for servicing, that's a real shame.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
Just Antrim or the after sales in Coleraine too? They ordered stock from me a few weeks back and seemed busy enough. Workshop and showroom in Antrim was refurbed about 3 years ago.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
They moved from the big site on the main road up near the dump. To round behind townparks sort of out of the way which I always thought was strange.
That site near the dump was the former Renault Showroom.

They moved there from their original site on Station Road in Antrim which is now the Action Mental Health building.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
At the chance of being so wrong , from me being a very young child and dad having a few Volvo, fast forward many years, I’m convinced I spot what I remember as a key chap around the showroom now working in Homebase. Could I be wrong lol.

Sportwag

RMS Regular
Devasting news... I have been a customer for 10 years and they did all of my servicing. I could not fault them!

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Wee spot of good news for NI wouldn’t go a miss these days

Was thinking that myself when this popped up. North and mid antrim have been completely shafted this last few years. Pattons, Mivan, Michelin, JTI, JBE, Dixons, Wrightbus and now this car dealer. That's a fair chunk of jobs lost over the last 10 years.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
We the people need to be asking questions about Stormont because i bet the knock on of every company closing effects others. Bring it down and a new election and stop voting Green and Orange.

Lets face it though, when governments are not supporting local business ( and seemingly cannot offer bailouts due to EU rules ), and a lot of it, especially manufacturing is getting EU support to move away from the UK to places where costs are lower.....there really is a no win situation here.

I dont see how, but given the timeline could the Wrightbus scenario have somehow had an impact on Greers ?

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
I can see Greer's not being to only dealer to go under in the near future, brands make dealers spend big on showrooom refurbs and "dealer standards", compulsory purchase parts and tools, stock targets and all funded by stocking loans. New car sales have been at a 10 year low and it doesnt take many quiet months before the loans get called in. No idea if this is what happened here or not but we are a small wee country for many of the big brands to have 4 or 5 showrooms. If you take a city like Glasgow with the same population as northern Ireland they don't have 4 BMW garages, 7 or 8 VW, 3 Volvo, etc etc.

RCT

RMS Regular
But more supercars rocking the province than ever!
Supercars are not the problem here. It is easy to think that but, many work hard and can afford them so why shouldn’t they? It’s the Benefits and the likes of Dla/pip cars that are the problem. So many have them that shouldn’t but no one is willing to do anything about it. When my sister (who was wheelchair bound) was alive, my mum could of got one but we didn’t as we were in the very fortunate position to be able to afford our own car.

Also when a man who was offered a job by my company last week turns round and says I’m now not taking the job, as I’m better off on benefits, even tho he can physically work, well that’s what’s wrong with the country.....