Greers of Antrim Volvo Closed Down

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Supercars are not the problem here. It is easy to think that but, many work hard and can afford them so why shouldn’t they? It’s the Benefits and the likes of Dla/pip cars that are the problem. So many have them that shouldn’t but no one is willing to do anything about it. When my sister (who was wheelchair bound) was alive, my mum could of got one but we didn’t as we were in the very fortunate position to be able to afford our own car.

Also when a man who was offered a job by my company last week turns round and says I’m now not taking the job, as I’m better off on benefits, even tho he can physically work, well that’s what’s wrong with the country.....
You could similarly argue that DLA cars stimulate the new car market and would be of enormous benefit of keeping people coming through the doors at the likes of Greer’s. In fact any sort of financial support (Government, finance house, bank or whatever) are what likely keeps most new car dealers doors open. All about the monthlies.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Supercars are not the problem here. It is easy to think that but, many work hard and can afford them so why shouldn’t they? It’s the Benefits and the likes of Dla/pip cars that are the problem. So many have them that shouldn’t but no one is willing to do anything about it. When my sister (who was wheelchair bound) was alive, my mum could of got one but we didn’t as we were in the very fortunate position to be able to afford our own car.

Also when a man who was offered a job by my company last week turns round and says I’m now not taking the job, as I’m better off on benefits, even tho he can physically work, well that’s what’s wrong with the country.....

Can't agree with this enough. I've seen Benefits/DLA etc perpetuate bad situations for people, it's not in their interest to work or they'll 'lose money', but then that leaves them in a position that they'll never really escape from (for the ones that could).

They can then spiral into a self defeatest mindset without even realising, convincing themselves they're hard done by and others just 'land on their feet' or have lots of luck - and then you've some who just openly 'play the system'. Obviously, there are plenty of genuine cases out there too, that goes without saying and maybe if some weren't taking the piss then more could be done for those in real need.

I get Coopers point about the DLA cars and Greers in this instance, that is probably accurate, the above is more in the wider context of the economy/society - sad times.

Boksic

RMS Regular

I agree with the points you're making as a general, but for your company to be offering him the least they can get away with paying him, then he is probably making a "smarter" move to not work and be as well off?

None of us work for the love of it, so if you were to have the same lifestyle but without having to work for it - would you not make the same choice as that fella?

Vicious cycle too, company making little profits - paying workers less - they spend less money out and about etc etc etc.

But yeah it's a ****ed up system altogether, and it's breeding worse..

Ps, if you were entitled to a DLA car or disability payment, you'd be far better taking it from the government, they don't care if you've got morals or money, it's the frauds that drain the system not the genuine causes.
Would they let you not pay tax for a year because they were doing alright?..

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
None of us work for the love of it, so if you were to have the same lifestyle but without having to work for it - would you not make the same choice as that fella?

I would disagree with this statement but that's just my opinion.
Or maybe i'm fortunate enough to love my work. I'm certainly not in it for the money that's for sure lol.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
One observation about the amount of mega flash motors despite the general decline and cue the attacks on the DLA folk!

I wasn’t suggesting supercars were a problem.

Personally I think if you want to save small businesses and the high streets you need to up the benefits to the poor as they are the ones who spend their dough there. And meanwhile tie up the tax avoiding loopholes for big business and the mega wealthy. But that’s getting away from the thread

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
One observation about the amount of mega flash motors despite the general decline and cue the attacks on the DLA folk!

I wasn’t suggesting supercars were a problem.

Personally I think if you want to save small businesses and the high streets you need to up the benefits to the poor as they are the ones who spend their dough there. And meanwhile tie up the tax avoiding loopholes for big business and the mega wealthy. But that’s getting away from the thread

Yeah just to be clear I wasn’t talking about genuine people in need, they need more help and assistance - I can’t stress that enough.

And to be doubly clear, I wasn’t even replying in relation to the super car comments at all, just what RCT said struck a nerve with me. Have seen some family and friends of old slide down a slippery slope before, and others encouraging it :pensive:

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
Roy Wilson Cars in Larne filed for bankruptcy there as well - obviously not on the same scale as Greers but owed near £120k to HMRC

I could be wrong but from what I heard from reliable sourced Roy Wilsons closed due to the finance company's who supplied his unit stocking pulling out due to underhanded activity on his behalf...

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Wouldnt have imagined Volvo's would be well up on the DLA list though ?

Maybe that's part of the downfall.

You can get them on motability including the xc60, I was in looking at the last model and was told about an order for one being cancelled due the person being found to be cheating the system.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
VAT man closed them.

Yep and he says he is finished as no finance company will touch him, bet he regrets buying a house opposite his business premises, imagine looking out to your empty forecourt and the place like a ghost town :weary_face:

Bryan

RMS Regular
Should have paid his tax like every other person has to

It may not be as clear cut as that. I was self employed for almost 10 years and paid my VAT bills however HMRC did a review and found some small irregularities and from these descrepancies decided to disregard 25% of all VAT claims made in the past number of a years. That soon mounted up. They're a law onto themselves - I kept getting letters with different figures plucked from the sky.

I got a new Volvo in 2017 as a company car and went to Greers to get a test drive. The sales man handed me the keys of a V60 and said away you go. I brought it back and told him I didn't like it - felt too old. He then said sure why not try the V40? I hadn't even considered the V40 and handed me to keys to a V40 and I took it out. It was a really good car and I ended up ordering one. Unfortunately the lease company insisted on using SMW to deliver the car despite me pleading with them to deliver it through Greers due to the excellent customer service I had received there.

SJM2016

RMS Regular
Drives
Green A-Class
You can get them on motability including the xc60, I was in looking at the last model and was told about an order for one being cancelled due the person being found to be cheating the system.

Can’t get the XC60 on Motability anymore. You could before the new model came out a few years ago. Volvo only has the V40 and XC40 since there’s a limit of £30k now

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
It's odd given that Volvos seem to be more popular / in fashion than ever.

I could count at least 10 XCwhatevers on our school run.

They have almost overtaken the BMW 'I'm such an important mummy and yes, I am illegally parking here' brigade.

Last edited:

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
Like many dealerships they are governed by the codes of practice laid down by the vehicle manufacturers. Main dealers are essentially authorised franchisees, and can be viewed as 'club members'. In this instance Greers was a member of the Volvo club. All clubs have rules, regulations and agreements that members must abide by. Failure to adhere to these arrangements can lead to membership revocation.

Main dealers have sales targets that they must reach, as well as many other KPIs such as customer satisfaction levels, repeat business customers, brand loyalty, promotions, media subscriptions etc. They must also keep up to date with any tooling that may be required, staff training, software updates and so on. There are constant hurdles that must be negotiated, and the way in which these hurdles must be dealt with is often already decided for the franchisees. They must follow strict protocol otherwise they run the risk of falling foul of the membership T's & C's.

A dealership could be financially secure, and even be seen to be on the up, but that doesn't make them immune to the strict membership guidelines set out by the manufacturers. If, in the case of Greers, Volvo caught wind of something that wasn't quite right that could potentially lead to brand damage, or sales targets weren't being realised, then club membership becomes unviable.

Whilst I don't know exactly what happened at Greers Volvo that led to their closure, it is worth mentioning that not everything is as simple as it might seem. The amount of background operations and red tape would surprise most. Perhaps there are personal issues or business issues not related to the brand? Who knows. It'll be interesting to see what comes out in the wash.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Like many dealerships they are governed by the codes of practice laid down by the vehicle manufacturers. Main dealers are essentially authorised franchisees, and can be viewed as 'club members'. In this instance Greers was a member of the Volvo club. All clubs have rules, regulations and agreements that members must abide by. Failure to adhere to these arrangements can lead to membership revocation.

Main dealers have sales targets that they must reach, as well as many other KPIs such as customer satisfaction levels, repeat business customers, brand loyalty, promotions, media subscriptions etc. They must also keep up to date with any tooling that may be required, staff training, software updates and so on. There are constant hurdles that must be negotiated, and the way in which these hurdles must be dealt with is often already decided for the franchisees. They must follow strict protocol otherwise they run the risk of falling foul of the membership T's & C's.

A dealership could be financially secure, and even be seen to be on the up, but that doesn't make them immune to the strict membership guidelines set out by the manufacturers. If, in the case of Greers, Volvo caught wind of something that wasn't quite right that could potentially lead to brand damage, or sales targets weren't being realised, then club membership becomes unviable.

Whilst I don't know exactly what happened at Greers Volvo that led to their closure, it is worth mentioning that not everything is as simple as it might seem. The amount of background operations and red tape would surprise most. Perhaps there are personal issues or business issues not related to the brand? Who knows. It'll be interesting to see what comes out in the wash.
What you are describing is similar to Townparks when they had the Vauxhall franchise. They are only a few hundred yards from Greers site. Townparks dropped the Vauxhall franchise and is still on the same site selling used cars. Not the case with Greers.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
What you are describing is similar to Townparks when they had the Vauxhall franchise. They are only a few hundred yards from Greers site. Townparks dropped the Vauxhall franchise and is still on the same site selling used cars. Not the case with Greers.

I’m told they dropped Vauxhall due to issues with having to do lots of warranty work and Vauxhall not paying the right amount for the work, dealer got fed up covering the cost. Could be wrong

JonnyB23

RMS Regular
I’m told they dropped Vauxhall due to issues with having to do lots of warranty work and Vauxhall not paying the right amount for the work, dealer got fed up covering the cost. Could be wrong

I heard this too, but I think this was just part of a list of issues they were having!

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Thinking out loud, would Greer's have had any involvement in supplying Wright's with Volvo bus chassis by any chance?

markmeus

RMS Regular
Thinking out loud, would Greer's have had any involvement in supplying Wright's with Volvo bus chassis by any chance?
I'd be surpised, the two Volvos have been completely separate since 1999 when Ford took over the car business. The heavy stuff (bus truck and construction equipment) is still a Swedish operation, whereas Volvo cars is owned by Geely in China now.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
It’s not so much as they dropped the franchise, more that PSA were cutting the Vauxhall franchises down by a third after the buy out.