GTS Panther kitcar

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
I can give another lenghty update - not quite as good as I was hoping I could give but it's still not all bad news! (Also another without pictures, I know everyone loves pictures but they'd all look the same at this stage - I promise more pictures soon!)

I got a good evening working at the car on Tuesday and ticked off a lot of my 'To-Do before starting the engine' list. Bear in mind that up until this point the car had never even had a working battery fitted so I had never had the ignition on or checked anything electrical....

So on Tuesday I started in to sorting some of the wiring, I wasn't happy with some of the routing of the wires and it was needless long in places and made no sense to me the way it was done. So I stripped a lot of back, routed it the way I wanted and then set about cutting out large sections of wires that were just too long! I soldered them all back together, heat shrinked and left ready for covering and fixing in place. This was a job I wasn't looking forward to initially but once I'd stripped it back it became obvious how I could route it and make it a cleaner, simpler install.

Other jobs completed that evening were:

Diff refilled with oil
Engine filled with oil
Coolant filled
New plugs fitted
Intercooler temporarily fitted (needs to come off again to tidy up)
Exhaust fitted (also needs to come off again to heat wrap)

Finally I fitted a new battery and turned it on for the first time... a pretty big moment in the build! The ignition turned on and the dash lit up so that was a good start, up until this point I always wondered would it do anything when I turned the key! There was no attempt to start it at this stage as I had no fuel, I'd drained the tank and replaced the lines and wanted to buy fresh fuel so wasn't going to use what I had lying in the garage.

Of course turning the ignition on led me to discover other jobs that I now need to do...

Horn only made a slight sound (bad earth, already fixed)
Fuel gauge reads full (suspected bad earth, sender is fine so need to check gauge itself)
No full beam - side lights and dip work but not full - needs investigating.
Fan switch doesn't turn fan on - haven't a clue how this is wired. Need to test fan on it's own first then investigate the wiring
Bulb is blown on one half of rev counter so needs replaced
Back lights not working on oil pressure/fuel gauge so needs investigating

I'd no time to do anything on Wednesday but I had a few hours last night so I went and got 10 litres of super unleaded after work and headed into the garage with the intention of seeing if this thing would fire up.

It didn't.

It could be worse though, to look at the positives - it turns over, I have spark. I have no fuel. Two out of three ain't bad they say! They'd also be the two I would pick if I had to! Bike engines in cars can cause various issues with things like kickstand, tilt sensors etc which you need to override to get a spark so I'm happy to have a spark and well, we wouldn't get far if it didn't turn over!

I set about investigating why it wouldn't start, spark was first thing I checked and that was all good so I moved on to fuel - pulled the line of the pressure regulator and nothing... now I knew I'd heard one of the pumps running (it's got two pumps, standard bike pump to pull from the tank and fill the swirl pot, then another after the swirl pot to pump to the engine) I pulled the line off the outlet of the bike pump and nothing... so that's why it's not starting then. I turned the car on and off again and listened to the pumps and realised only the second pump was running. They're wired in together so both should have power.... disconnected bike pump, cleaned connectors checked it wasn't blocked and put it back together. Turned the car on and it buzzed into life, now we're talking...

No. Still no fuel! Tried various things and it just won't pump. The line from the tank to the pump is new and clear (got a mouthful of super unleaded to confirm that one!) so the only conclusion I can come to is that the pump is goosed. It's very noisy, louder than any I've heard before and it's been lying up for a few years so I'm hoping it's just a defective pump. I went into the house, did some research to see if the pump can possibly sound like it's working but not pump anything but it was inconclusive. Certainly they can lose the ability to flow as much as required but I'm getting nothing. Any how, I just ordered a new pump there and then as it's the only thing I can think to try! I've gone for fast delivery and it's been dispatched this morning on a 24 hour service. Not hopeful it'll arrive tomorrow but if it does I'll fire it in and give it another go.

If you've reached this far then I commend you as that turned into a lot of drivel :laughing:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
And after all that I remembered one last thing - just for completeness :laughing:

When you turn the ignition on with the R1 it runs diagnostics and if it detects a fault then the rev counter needle sweeps round to a certain rpm depending on the fault. Mine was sweeping to 3k so I looked it up and it said TPS fault. So I disconnected it only to discover a break in the wire just up from the plug. Got that soldered and some heat shrink on, plugged it back in, ignition turned on and no more faults - happy days!

michelinman

RMS Regular
Drives
e46
....'To-Do before starting the engine' list.

.....Finally I fitted a new battery and turned it on for the first time... a pretty big moment in the build! The ignition turned on and the dash lit up so that was a good start, up until this point I always wondered would it do anything when I turned the key!

....headed into the garage with the intention of seeing if this thing would fire up.

....It didn't.

....It could be worse though, to look at the positives - it turns over, I have spark. I have no fuel. Two out of three ain't bad they say!

....Turned the car on and it buzzed into life, now we're talking...

....No. Still no fuel! Tried various things and it just won't pump. The line from the tank to the pump is new and clear (got a mouthful of super unleaded to confirm that one!) so the only conclusion I can come to is that the pump is goosed.

I was on tender-hooks during this entire post! It honestly felt like I was there! Every paragraph I was desperate to hear that it had fired :laughing:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Today was a good day!

Major milestone hit...

It wasn’t straightforward as my new pump never arrived but I ghettoed a setup to fill the swirl pot with fuel as the second pump was fine. Soon as I did that it fired up first press of the button! Didn’t run it for long at all but all I needed to know was that it would actually run.

Now to get it built up and finished. First thing is strip a few things back off and and tidy them up.

Brakes (mount reservoirs and add fluid), wiring and bodywork still to go so a good bit of work to go but it’s heading the right way. Wiring is probably the biggest job left, a lot needs cut out and redone.

I mentioned some wiring issues in the previous post, addressed a number of them today. Fuel gauge now working, it was wired wrong at the gauge! Full beam sorted, another dodgy connection (result of having laid up so long). Fan issue identified as the fan itself so will get a new one ordered.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Cheers @Neil_M - yes think she mentioned talking to you about it!

Hopefully the updates can continue at a reasonable pace now, I’m hoping there’s no surprises left and therefore now really big jobs.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
So I did confess near the start to being rubbish at keeping these things updated so forgive me for the lack of updates. Things have been progressing away however I feel like I've spent the last 3 weeks doing nothing but wiring when I got a chance to do anything! I've no doubt forgot a lot of things but here's a summary....

The wiring is nearly completed. I ended up doing a lot more than initally planned - I replaced nearly all of the dash switches (just left hazard for now). The ones fitted were cheap and I discovered that my fan issues were actually partly down to a dodgy switch (it also wasn't wired through a relay which I addressed!). I then broke the side light switch pulling the wire off the terminal on it so that settled it and I ordered up new ones.

Old:
IMG_8390.JPG

New:
IMG_8414.JPG

I don't like to make things easy for myself either... I wanted the switches to be illuminated with the side lights on and then illuminate brighter when actually on. So after a lot of research some resistors and diodes were ordered up from RS Components (top company to deal with btw with super quick free delivery). It took me a while but finally got it all working.

IMG_8415.JPG

I decided to buy new headlights as the lens was cracked on the passenger one. Went for lights with integrated DRL's and indicators. Unfortunately when it came to wiring them the feature I wanted (switching DRL off when indicator activated) didn't work. This led me down the road of relays, diodes and capacitors and in the end I got it all working! The indicator flash was still too quick though with the new indicators being LED's so I bought a new LED relay and that sorted that.

Old (along with some old dodgy wiring):
IMG_8412.JPG

New - sanded and painted headlight bowls and bought and fitted waterproof connectors
IMG_8418.JPG

Excuse the mess...
IMG_8417.JPG

Excuse the dodgy video, it was as much for me to see that everything worked! Since then I've rewired them again so that DRL's work properly, switching off with main's etc.

I've also done a lot of tidying of wires, removing or shortening where possible. To be honest I'd love to strip the whole loom out and make a shorter one completely but to get a custom made one is £££ so it will do for now. It's a bit untidy looking but it'll be hidden from view and will get upgraded another time!

The final wiring job that isn't done is my Flatshifter. I've got a Flatshifter Pro that gives full throttle clutchless upshifts and blips the throttle for clutchless downshifts. Unfortunately when I went to fit the blipper (it replaced the idle screw) the threaded section on it was M4 and the idle adjuster on the R1 is M5. Contacted flatshifter about getting the new threaded section, it's a small shaft that just screws off and they wanted me to return the blipper and they'd modify it for the R1 for £50... I'd rather not pay that so I'm in the process of making up my own - needed a new M5 fine die though so waiting on that arriving. Until I have the blipper fitted and the car idling right I don't want to wire in the rest of it.

So while I'm waiting on that I cracked on with a few other jobs - stripped down the rear brakes and going to paint them up and fit new pads, bleed valves etc. - I also made up a bracket for the brake reservoirs but have misplaced the 7/16 bolts so haven't finished them yet... and then just because I couldn't help myself I started into the bodywork... it's just sitting there really but I needed to see some visual progress!

IMG_8460.JPG

One little teaser....
IMG_8465.JPG

Ignore the exhaust (rear hanger isn't fitted) and I'll be getting it remade at some stage but for now it's going to get heat wrapped.

Today was pay day and so I decided to order some stuff in that I need to keep things moving (not much else to do now we're in lockdown!!). So I've Motul RBF600 brake fluid, new rear pads and caliper paint coming. I need to order a whole lot more but feel a touch guilty ordering excessive amounts of stuff at this time... so I'll have to have a think about that!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Cheers Mark, like you wouldn't believe!! Who knows when I'll actually get to use it but I will plough on with the build anyway and have it sitting ready to go.

Some carbon goodies ordered up today but a bit of lead time on those but not exactly in a panic for them! There are however some other things that I do need to be able to progress and naturally they're taking longer to arrive. Hopefully have them for the week so I can keep things moving!

michelinman

RMS Regular
Drives
e46
YEA! Another update! Love this project and looks like a lot of good progress that only you can really appreciate - I feel your struggle but keep going, I’m looking forward to more updates

I love the video too, nothing like a successful wiring job!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Thought I’d give another brief update....

One of the final wiring jobs I had to complete was fitting my Flatshifter Pro as mentioned in the previous update. I’m happy to say I was able to adapt the blipper and get it all mounted up and working. Wiring was straightforward and it’s all working as expected (as much as I can tell just using the rest switch)

Brake fluid and pads arrived but caliper paint took an age. Colour wasn’t what I had expected in that it’s lighter than I hoped, it’ll do for now though. I really wish I’d a proper photo of how bad the rears were but you can kinda see them here...

C69355E0-78A6-4205-963D-E2E2EC1C7A19.jpeg

Was a fair bit of work cleaning them up, discs were actually like new just rusted so they were cleaned up with the wire wheel, looking a bit better now.

C25E06B3-9D05-4A34-A434-FD64080FA3B5.jpeg

42D0E1E2-FD8C-485D-B0FB-A1845DCFC149.jpeg

I did remember to take a photo of the fronts, you can tell this thing lay up for a while lol

E0600AE3-5C84-4A44-A640-319A44687D30.jpeg

9D6CD224-2789-4615-B021-4321F4E5003A.jpeg

Once I had that all done I added fluid and bled the brakes, got a really good pedal and no leaks first go so very happy with that.

Some polishing items arrived today so I’ll be able to get on with sorting out the bodywork now. Gave one of the arches a very quick going over and they are coming up decent.
7AB072EC-C7D9-4AD9-89F3-28106B6C3440.jpeg
F0776856-8ACB-4F87-8F7A-B664047F6798.jpeg
BD42E8EF-0A39-41F5-A380-EB7AC095586F.jpeg

This was before doing the brakes but I set the nose cone, scuttle and bonnet on to give me an idea how it was all looking, they’re back off again but it’s getting close to actually getting these fitted!

C9355576-2BB5-4BBB-9179-4AC909C684A2.jpeg

I’ve more things ordered but postage is a bit all over the show so not sure when any of it will arrive but one parcel I’m waiting on is my new wheels! They’ve turned into a real headache getting what I wanted in a size that’ll work but I’ll go into that another time. Will be another few weeks before I purchase tyres anyway, I’ve spent enough this month!

Attachments

• 966417DE-3960-4287-A373-C419EA7B3F40.jpeg
    966417DE-3960-4287-A373-C419EA7B3F40.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 120
  • F3802BFD-A251-468A-B6B7-C34C12E991A7.jpeg
    F3802BFD-A251-468A-B6B7-C34C12E991A7.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 15CCFEBA-8701-4590-9802-F6C5ADEA1DDF.jpeg
    15CCFEBA-8701-4590-9802-F6C5ADEA1DDF.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 119

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Not too much in the way of updates but I’ve been tinkering away at things not exciting or really worth showing!

I did move my cutoff switch and starter button to a tunnel mounted panel to make it easier to reach when harnessed in, rerouted wires down the tunnel and brought them up underneath the panel and it all turned out ok.

CEFA315D-5533-43A6-890F-324B32C92144.jpeg

After making a cardboard template for the exhaust hole in my flared panel I got the dremel out and set to work, turned out pretty decent. It’s only sitting on here and is all now off along with the exhaust as I’m heat wrapping it. Really want a new exhaust and it’s probably one of the things I’ll get done first after I recover from this initial phase

2FFAEA7A-7166-4C49-B342-536EA96A429A.jpeg

Had to swap out my oil temperature sender too as the one I had wasn’t the right one for my gauge. ad to do a run up to temperature after so sat in it for the first time with it running.... ignore some of the rattles as there’s tools and all sorts sitting on the passenger floor.

I’m mainly concentrating on the bodywork now and it’s not my favourite thing to do! Love the end results, not so much the process to get there.

4AEA8211-A478-44D5-A2F6-50A7CFA7579F.jpeg

e320mark

RMS Regular
Not too much in the way of updates but I’ve been tinkering away at things not exciting or really worth showing!

I did move my cutoff switch and starter button to a tunnel mounted panel to make it easier to reach when harnessed in, rerouted wires down the tunnel and brought them up underneath the panel and it all turned out ok.

View attachment 275639

After making a cardboard template for the exhaust hole in my flared panel I got the dremel out and set to work, turned out pretty decent. It’s only sitting on here and is all now off along with the exhaust as I’m heat wrapping it. Really want a new exhaust and it’s probably one of the things I’ll get done first after I recover from this initial phase

View attachment 275643
Had to swap out my oil temperature sender too as the one I had wasn’t the right one for my gauge. ad to do a run up to temperature after so sat in it for the first time with it running.... ignore some of the rattles as there’s tools and all sorts sitting on the passenger floor.

I’m mainly concentrating on the bodywork now and it’s not my favourite thing to do! Love the end results, not so much the process to get there.

View attachment 275640

This is a brilliant read! Loving it!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
not far away now!

It really isn't, I could effectively just fit everything I have including the old wheels and go! However, given I'm not under any time restraints I'll just take my time and get the bodywork sitting right and do a few other nice to have things. The other thing the whole car needs is a ruddy good clean, the dust/dirt everywhere is really bad from all the work.

A brief list of what I have left to do:

Flat and polish bodywork
Fit new bonnet catches (need to buy new ones)
Fit bodywork
Fit all rear lights (might replace tail lights to LEDs)
Wrap and fit exhaust (waiting on wrap being delivered)
Fit healtech gear indicator (awaiting delivery)
Make and fit new boot top (awaiting carbon delivery)
Fit harnesses (want to buy new ones)
Fit seats
Fit oil catch tank
Fit mirrors (want to buy new ones)
Tyres fitted to rims (need to buy)
Give everything a really good clean!

Should keep me busy for a few more weeks anyway!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
So progress has been fairly slow but still chipping away this past few weeks.

New healtech gear indicator arrived and got it wired in but haven't gone through the learning procedure yet.

IMG_8596.JPG

IMG_8630a.png

Also decided to order an exhaust servo eliminator from Healtech so I could remove the EXUP (controls a valve on the standard exhaust). Quite a difference in size between the two and removes some bulk and weight from behind the dash.

IMG_8616.JPG

Didn't like the old orange side repeater against the blue paint work so ordered in some smoked ones
IMG_8629.JPG

Offered up the wheels - safe to say there isn't much clearance with the brakes 😬

IMG_8619.JPG

Also trial fitted the front arch but waiting until I have the tyres so I can set the width I want it mounted at.

IMG_8625a.png

Finally this got delivered today - aluminum so I can do a flat floor and rear diffuser.
IMG_8628.JPG

I've now ordered everything bar mirrors I think. Placed the order for tyres and aerocatches today, discovered my LUKE harnesses can actually accept a crotch strap to make them into 6 point so ordered those rather than new harnesses as I've spent enough recently. Waiting on lots of little things in the post so I can get jobs ticked off but it's getting there. Still have the bodywork to sort, I've started flatting some of it back but I hate it so keep finding other things to do first :laughing:

slickcell

RMS Regular
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Looks fantastic Paul! Can’t wait to see this out! We must organise a group rip when we’re all allowed out!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
A nice delivery today... hopefully these prove to be decent!
IMG_8643.JPG

Also something to protect the wheels from brake dust on the track.

IMG_8644.JPG