GTS Panther kitcar

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Hopefully it works better for your brake dust than it did for mine.

Well that doesn't sound so good! Well I've got it now so I'll fire a few coats on and see how it goes... nothing to lose now!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Awesome stuff Paul. I'm still,plucking up the motivation to pull the starter off the caterham..... I need a smidge of your motivation!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Nice one man! How soon are you to being road worthy?

If I really wanted to a lot of hours would do it! Bolt bodywork on, fire the seats and harnesses in as is and it could go. Reality is likely end of the month as I'll just take my time now that I have it. I'm going to change how the seats are mounted to enable me to fit the 6 point harnesses better so need to figure that out and get some box section to do it. Have to make the rear diffuser and figure out how to flat floor the front of it as the sump sits below the chassis line.

Firstly though I'm going to finish off the bodywork, hope to have that mostly done by the end of the weekend.

Awesome stuff Paul. I'm still,plucking up the motivation to pull the starter off the caterham..... I need a smidge of your motivation!

Haha, if I didn't get out to the garage I'd go mad stuck in the house given there is literally nothing else to be at these days! Who knows when I'll get an MOT date though so at this rate it's going to be sitting gathering dust in the garage.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
So another week and a bit more progress....

As previously mentioned I was working on the bodywork, flattening and polishing firstly then fitting. The finish isn't bad, but it could be better and I might do some further refinement when everything else is done.

IMG_8649.JPG

IMG_8670.JPG

I then got the flared panels and the exhaust fitted (turbo side fitted, the can isn't actually bolted to the mount yet). Also set on a rear arch here just to see how it looked!

IMG_8658.JPG

Next up was trial fitting the rear scuttle cover and getting it ready to fit, this is another panel I made myself and I'm happy with how it's worked out. Note the hole in it is because all my fuses are mounted there. An easily removeable cover will be fitted there which I hope to make out of carbon fibre.

IMG_8665.JPG

Something that was bugging me since I bought it was the air filter - I'm very limited for space so I ordered one of a similar size to what had been there, however when I came it just looked much to small. I decided to buy a new one last week after looks of calculating space and working out what size of filter I think I needed. The difference in the two is quite remarkable! I got it fitted after some modifcation to the hard pipe, it's now further behind the radiator than I'd like but it's a compromise I had to make.

IMG_8676.JPG
IMG_8678.JPG

Next up was getting the nose cone and bonnet fitted. This turned into a long process that took me most of the weekend which was not what I'd planned at all! I bought some aerocatches for the bonnet, due to running flared panels the original bonnet clips no longer work.

IMG_8674.JPG

Getting the bonnet and nose cone aligned and sitting right while getting the aerocatches mounted just in the right place took a lot of time and was very frustrating! I got there in the end, I'm not entirely happy with the how the bonnet fits though. I could end up trying to do something with this when all the rest of the work is done and I'm bored but for now I've enough to be getting on with!

IMG_8693.JPG
IMG_8685.JPG

You might have noticed in the first photo there that the rear arch is still on, it's actually fitted properly now as is the drivers side arch, though just realised I have no photos of that side! Thankfully the arch fitting was a lot more straightforward.

Final job I completed last night was fitting the new LED numberplate light.

IMG_8701.JPG

I've all new LED rear lights ordered which will hopefully arrive some time this week.

I also decided to refresh the front suspension so new Maxi balljoints arrived this morning, and I'm waiting on the drag links arriving which should be tomorrow, I already had new track-rod ends here so that'll be everything.
IMG_8702.JPG

I still need to buy mirrors, I can't decide which ones to get (basically whether I want to spend the money on carbon ones or not!). Every time I think I'm done spending money something else crops up, it's never ending so that's delaying my decision.

I haven't sealed the paintwork yet and I've been thinking of doing it in GTechniq Aerocoat, then I looked into that and thought it would be better to do a coat of Crystal Serum Light first... I'm not sure if I should though as don't know that the finish on the paint is good enough and not sure if I'd make a good job of applying it!
That also reminds me, I applied a coat of C5 to the wheels - the process was dead on and time will tell how good a job I did there! Followed the instructions of cleaning them down with panel wipe etc and it's had ample time to harden by now. Still haven't got the tyres fitted but I might try and get that done at the weekend then I'll be able to get the front wings fitted.

The steel is due to arrive any day now for the harness mounts and I'm also going to redo the seat mounts so that'll be the plans for this weekend!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Finish doesn't look too bad, with most of it being so low to the ground it won't be that noticeable if its not 100%

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
The finish is okay, I probably just need to remind myself that 1, I was painting over something that had previously been sprayed, though I did of course sandback and prime (it started life blue and was sprayed orange before I got it) and 2, it was sprayed in my garage in less than ideal circumstances lol!

You can see the original finish of the back panel here:

backPanel.png

The finish I got on the panel isn't the worst

IMG_8688.JPG

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
never mind the finish on the panel.......... who the hell is cutting your hair man !!! can i get a wee sneaky appointment !! ?

That was my good self LOL! New clippers arrived at the end of last week and there was a pair of sissors in the box and away I went, I'll maybe open a barbershop when this is all done :laughing:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
So stripped down the passenger side there quickly, all came apart nice and easily thankfully! I’d doubt I’d the parts have ever been replaced so it’ll be nice to have them refreshed.

75EAB4FB-2982-4371-8029-F44FDBBDBB95.jpeg

Reason I wanted to replace the bottom ball joint :laughing:

053A4502-0A7E-40A5-92D5-41F83F1054CD.jpeg

Turns our the track rod ends I had sitting in my spares box don’t fit so need to get some new ones ordered. Will also give everything a good clean now I’ve it stripped.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Just a short update - front suspension all built back up, oil catch tank fitted, front wings fitted, seats and harnesses all fitted etc etc.... U-joints of prop all re-greased.

Discovered rear cv boots split so need to replace those, still to make boot top but the carbon has arrived, still to do flat floor and diffuser, also waiting on rear lights arriving but...

The diff works :laughing:

IMG_8737.JPG

I'll do a better update another time!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
So didn’t do much today as too nice to be in the garage but I did cut out the carbon boot top, it’s only sitting on but came out ok.

42CE119F-ABCE-4394-8F5B-94077C1C6BF2.jpeg

After that I just rolled it out into the sunshine and hit it with the hose to remove the dust! Still the flat floor to do and no rear lights yet but here’s a few quick snaps of the rest. Also needs the geo set up and other finishing touches.

4BA86936-9C50-4E75-932A-8E27D05D1220.jpeg
31F40327-DCC1-4846-A666-D825E6700C8F.jpeg
1F39F271-4CA1-4DEF-9ECC-AA19957550DA.jpeg

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
So as I get to the end of the initial build things have started to slow down...

Still haven't finished the boot top but that's a minor job in the grand scheme of things. I'm also still waiting on 2 CV boots arriving so I can get them changed (initially was only going to replace two but I'm doing them all now).

A few jobs I have completed are a new fuel cap fitted into rear panel instead of having it in the boot top and new LED lights fitted and wired up with waterproof connectors.

IMG_8782.JPG

IMG_8798.JPG

Also made a cover on the bulk head panel to cover the fuses:

IMG_8773.JPG

Since changing the wheels the original studs were way too short and only catching by a few threads so fitted some new ones....
8F4B13FB-601E-4EDC-8A9F-6E94020C2EB6.JPG

And also fitted the new mirrors but only photo I have is rubbish and you can hardly make them out!

The last update is that things on the engine front have taken a bit of a change... my initial plan was just to run low boost and possibly just put on a thicker head gasket (that's how the original engine was done that eventually blew up) however after various phone calls etc this week I've just placed an order for custom CP Carrillo low compression forged pistons and CP Carrillo forged rods and when they arrive (no idea when yet as pistons are made to order) it'll be going off to Holeshot Racing to have a fully forged build done! Not something I'd planned on at this stage but it's what makes sense and means it'll have a proper engine when built.... might be quite fast too :laughing:

It does mean the cars not going to be on the road for a good while though but given the MOT situation that's probably not going to matter so much.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Just thought I'd drop that bit in at the end! This will be the last big thing done to the car for a good while, it wasn't in the plans at all but when I work out the extra cost of going fully forged now vs just adjust the cams and doing the head gasket if it was to blow up again I'd be much worse off financially, have a whole load of hassle and the car be off the road again! Just do it right from the start and enjoy it was the decision, took some man maths to finally make that decision lol.

Also need to sell my transporter as it won't work with this car, it's just a bit too narrow so need that sold and to source another one....

slickcell

RMS Regular
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Holy sh*t! I’ve just caught up with this. Car looks hard as nails!

Pity you can’t get it out this summer though!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Cheers men! It’s coming together pretty well now and not a lot left to do on my side. Thinking of rebuilding the turbo as I know nothing about it and would hate to get the engine built to discover it has an issue.

Wont rule out getting out this summer if I get the engine built, I’m hoping that’ll be done sometime in July and on the road in August. Might be optimistic though!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
OK so it's been a while since I updated this and to be honest this isn't going to be an exciting one either but sure it keeps it up to date as to where I am! Even sitting here I'm trying to think what did I actually do over the past few weeks as it doesn't look like much!

So I previously mentioned I was waiting on some CV boots arriving, well that turned into a long drawn out affair with the first ones arriving not being right and being universal so I binned those and bought new proper boots which took an age to arrive. To fit meant removing the shafts from the car and removing the CV joints, 12 bolts a shaft, 6 on each side. 18 of the bolts had been replaced to allen key headed bolts, 6 remained as original Torx T45 head bolts.... all going swimmingly until that last torx head and you guessed it - the torx bit started to spin. Balls! Tried all sorts of things, hammer in a large torx bit, an allen key bit, hit it round with a cold chisel etc etc. It was awkward as frig as I was lying on my back under the car and it was an outer bolt that sits inside the rear hub! Long story short and many hours later I had it out after welding a 17mm nut onto it and hitting it with the impact gun (and then having to angle grind the nut back off as I had to weld it on offset to get a socket over it and then it wouldn't turn 360 degrees!!). So I got the boots swapped over and all back on the car.

IMG_8913.JPG

The next job which I said previously I might tackle was rebuilding the turbo. The car had lay up for a few years and some elements of it had started to rust, also for some reason the waterways had never been plumbed up for cooling. So I ordered a new Merlett CHRA as even though it's meant to be easy rebuilding a TD04 turbo with individual parts I didn't want to risk it - also buying the CHRA means it was all properly balanced after them building it and is just ready to swap in. Oh I also bought a new actuator, maybe not needed but again for all the cost of it I'd rather have it new so when the engine goes to get rebuilt everything else should be in good condition.

Turbo out:
IMG_8902.JPG

New core
IMG_8905.JPG

Turbo split and old core vs new.... also discovered at this point that part of one of the intake fins was missing!

IMG_8909.JPG

IMG_8910.JPG

All built back up and ready to be fitted!

IMG_8915.JPG

I also ran water lines into the turbo this time so added some additional take-offs to the top and bottom radiator hoses - after paying for a new core I want to try to look after it as well as possible! It's all back in now and have had the car started and no obvious issues thankfully...

The other thing I noticed one night after having the car jacked up doing the CV boots was a tiny puddle below the rear drivers side wheel, turned out the caliper on that side was leaking out past the piston.... so that gave me a decision to make! The Sierra rear calipers aren't the lightest thing on earth and a common swap is to fit MK4 Golf alloy calipers as the mounting holes are the same as the sierra carriers. A refurbed Sierra caliper is not a cheap thing to purchase so I decided to go down the Golf route.... long story short it didn't work! I knew clearance would be tight and people talk about having to buff off some of the cooling fins on them but in the end it seemed like I was going to have to remove more than I'd be comfortable with and even at that I don't think the rear wheels would have fitted without spacers on. They already sit wider than I'd like so that was that! I now have a pair of MK4 calipers sitting gathering dust!

So what to do.... opted to refurb my own with a kit from Bigg Red. Turned into a bit of a hateful job if I'm honest and not something I'd be rushing to do again! It's done now and they're fitted but I now have an uneven handbrake... I don't know what it was like before this in fairness but it's certainly not good now! It's a standard sierra handbrake cable that's been cut in two and joined where it meets the handbrake. There's an adjuster on the drivers side cable that's meant to tighten up both sides equally but it doesn't (passenger cable is slacker than drivers side) which I suspect is because of how it sits now it's been cut. I don't have enough hands to pull the passenger cable and redo the u-bolts clamping the wires together so that'll have to do for another day! I'd previously painted up the calipers which I'd mentioned before but wasn't a big fan of the color so I re-did them when I had them pulled apart!

IMG_8924.JPG

IMG_8927.JPG

So that's it pretty much up to date! As of today I booked an MOT for 20th July. Not going to have the engine done by then I'm quite sure (haven't had any update on that) but I'll take it there on the trailer and at least get that bit sorted so when the engine is done I can use it straight away and hopefully it won't be winter!! For MOT the only jobs really left to do are sort out the handbrake, get the headlights set and do a spanner check (I think!).

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Few things arrived this morning! Firstly I want to try and move the air filter out into colder air as at the minute it's half behind the radiator so I bought an intake pipe (which will be cut way down, I really only want the bend).

Also decided to increase the fuel filtering, I have one filter at the minute but it's after the two fuel pumps. I'm replacing this filter with the two Sytec filters you see in the photo. Firstly a Sytec bike in-line filter. I run the standard bike pump which feeds a swirl-pot so I'm going to fit this filter between the pump and the swirl pot so that there is some filtration before the Sytec fuel pump, I will then fit the Sytec bullet filter in place of my current standard filter. Again just some measures to try and ensure as smooth of running as possible!

IMG_8932.JPG

I ordered the filters from Matt Lewis Racing yesterday at 2.30pm and they arrived this morning, unreal service! Unfortunately I've just noticed they sent me the wrong bike filter, it's a 1/4" and I needed 5/16 so I've just pinged them an email...

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
So today was a good day.... now have an MOT pass certificate!! Exactly 7 days short of a year after it arrived home with me. Slower than I first hoped but glad to finally have it done as far as I can for now.

The car has been pretty much ready for it this few weeks, or so I thought until it started running on two cylinders last week! Turned out it was just the plugs, I’d fitted ones recommended to me for a turbo R1 and while I’d never driven it it ran fine until I started it the other week! Typically I tried all sorts first including stripping carbs and cleaning them etc. I had tested spark but not with the plugs fitted I used one I had sitting that was in the standard engine when it arrived... doh! Eventually tried spark with a plug fitted and found the issue, still unsure why it happened and only two of them but anyway I bought new standard plugs and all is well. I might upgrade the ignition coils though just to be sure they are ok.

The rest of the time was spent tidying bits and pieces up and had one short drive to get the headlights set. Only drove it at very low boost on the boost controller and it’s still rather rapid! Can’t wait to get the engine rebuilt and crank it up.... Also thr a coat of Gtechniq C0v2 aerocoat on and very impressed with it! Oh and nothing like a last minute panic, checking everything last night and discovered the horn wasn’t working. It was never wired with a relay for some reason and I’d planned to change that but it worked so I ended up leaving it. Regretted that last night and thankfully had a relay sitting so rewired it with a relay last night and all was good!

Any how heres a few photos of how it’s sitting as of this evening. Excuse the MOT spec front plate, that’ll be off again tomorrow!

F7B2BB29-5FC9-45D7-8BAD-C51C6594ECFD.jpeg

F2F1E450-D3AC-4F6B-B2E2-6C8092AA2364.jpeg

B1633708-67B0-4325-8A5F-D58A53BE4827.jpeg

Golf was on tow duty!
2758E4CC-AA75-4B56-9330-1CB74C95FADF.jpeg

1892FF91-608A-48DB-85D6-D2136AB0B096.jpeg

So that’s it really until the engine is built, unfortunately I’m not sure when that’s going to be as still waiting on stuff arriving from America.