GTS Panther kitcar

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Cheers @ChrisL its good fun but should be a whole lot more fun when I get the engine back!! I’ll give you a run no bother when it’s all up and running.

Engine is now at Holeshot and I got a sneak peak at the goodies going in!

E15E5035-D938-4254-87D4-79F800445F8E.jpeg

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
What is the weight of the engine?
That’s a good question, a quick Google suggests around 80kg but I can’t see it being as heavy as that. I lifted it up and out myself and I’m no strongman lol! The full bike weighs 175kg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
What a shame hiding nice shiny things like that where (hopefully!) nobody will ever see them again!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
So there's been no updates in a long time because, well I had no engine and nothing else going on with the car!

Got the engine back at the end of last week and set it in to the engine bay on Saturday but that's all I've done. The timing is pretty good as there won't be much else happening over the next while so I'll be able to get cracking with getting it up and running.

Need to get everything connected up as it was and I'm redoing part of the fuel plumbing so need to sort that too. Hopefully I can remember where everything goes and get it fired up ok! Once it's running then it'll be a trip back to Holeshot Racing to go on the rolling road and get various boost settings dialed in etc. and see what we can run power wise!

IMG_9369.jpg

The only other thing I have done while the engine has been away is put down RTek flooring in the garage which is a great job and just nicer to work on instead of the bare concrete floor. Excuse the mess, hadn't finished tidying here and it was a horrible day when I was finishing it hence all the foot prints etc!

BA92DDDD-DE23-406B-83FB-D32C7FD141F0.JPG

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Not an overly exciting update but got a few hours over the past few afternoons and got everything connected up and back together.

Few teething issues such as a coolant and oil leak but all rectified now and here’s a video of the first attempt at a fire up.

It’s not idling without the choke on so need to adjust that and then tidy a bit of the wiring but not far off being ready for the rolling road to see what sort of numbers we can make...

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Any predictions/expectations on power?
It will be entirely restricted by what the clutch can cope with unfortunately. In a bike my setup should be capable of something in the region of 300bhp.

In a car that’s just not going to be possible without further upgrading the clutch (I’ve already a billet pressure plate with race springs upgrade fitted). Lockup clutches etc aren’t easy to come by and I believe would leave it not that nice to drive on the road. I’ll likely just compromise on power as even with 200bhp it’ll still be quick but I’m hoping the clutch will withstand a reasonable amount over that. Just have to crank up the boost and see how it goes!

Macboycie

RMS Member
Drives
Mk Indy
Hi Paul, what a great write up.
I must confess I was the person that owned that car from 2012 -2014, I was the one that turbo'd it. I am surprised it lasted that long. I got it upto 236bhp
Kitcar.jpg

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Hey @Macboycie - great to hear from you! I think it gave up the ghost around 2017, I have the original engine here that a leg out of bed! It lasted not long and great to hear you had it at 236bhp - hopefully I should get that or a little more if the clutch withstands it.

Thanks for the photo - always nice to see how it once looked! It still retains a lot of items that were on it back then!

slickcell

RMS Regular
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Hey @Macboycie - great to hear from you! I think it gave up the ghost around 2017, I have the original engine here that a leg out of bed! It lasted not long and great to hear you had it at 236bhp - hopefully I should get that or a little more if the clutch withstands it.

Thanks for the photo - always nice to see how it once looked! It still retains a lot of items that were on it back then!

Class finding the original owners for these cars and knowing what they did while they had it! Have you stripped the engine that threw a leg? I stripped the old engine in my car that got obliterated with 2bar and it was hilarious to see what damage it did!

Great progress man, we are destined for a great year in these cars.....hopefully in 2021!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Class finding the original owners for these cars and knowing what they did while they had it! Have you stripped the engine that threw a leg? I stripped the old engine in my car that got obliterated with 2bar and it was hilarious to see what damage it did!

Great progress man, we are destined for a great year in these cars.....hopefully in 2021!

I haven't bothered to date - might do at some stage. I did strip a number of parts off it for the new engine but didn't take the head off to look in. Can see a lot of the damage through the rather large hole in the block though :joy:

I really hope so. Bar a session on the rollers I hope that's me almost good to go. Still having some idle issues but it's the throttle blipper that sets the idle on this and struggling to adjust it so I'm going to have to strip it down and get a proper look.

slickcell

RMS Regular
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I haven't bothered to date - might do at some stage. I did strip a number of parts off it for the new engine but didn't take the head off to look in. Can see a lot of the damage through the rather large hole in the block though :joy:

I really hope so. Bar a session on the rollers I hope that's me almost good to go. Still having some idle issues but it's the throttle blipper that sets the idle on this and struggling to adjust it so I'm going to have to strip it down and get a proper look.

my engine is with Byre Engineering atm. Supposed to be ready for collection this week but not pushing them on it as I’m working anyway.

plan is to get it back together and get a few miles on it by late jan/early feb. Hopefully a bit of decent weather and lockdown improvement soon so we can let the cars meet each other 🥰

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Ah good stuff! I didn’t put any pressure on my engine either, it was over 2 months but you have to wait for the best work!

I’ve no intentions of having it out before spring anyway and hopefully by then we can actually get out a run! I’m sure yours will be a beast when done!

slickcell

RMS Regular
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Ah good stuff! I didn’t put any pressure on my engine either, it was over 2 months but you have to wait for the best work!

I’ve no intentions of having it out before spring anyway and hopefully by then we can actually get out a run! I’m sure yours will be a beast when done!

yeah man, I hope so! I just want it finished so I can put a few odd miles on it gradually over the next while so it’s reliable and ready to go do long spins and track days galore!

and maybe ready to take a week sequential box....🤪

slickcell

RMS Regular
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
yeah man, I hope so! I just want it finished so I can put a few odd miles on it gradually over the next while so it’s reliable and ready to go do long spins and track days galore!

and maybe ready to take a week sequential box....🤪

*wee (not week) lol

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
OP
PaulYDP
Drives
R1 Turbo
Snug but it fits!

915B8EF1-7489-4AED-814E-9314CBBCF660.jpeg

Pretty much ready for a trip to the rolling road, needed a trial run into the trailer to see how it would all work before booking it in!
I had to sort out a few oil leaks which were coming from the turbo oil return, the only hose I hadn’t replaced pretty much so it’s now new and all looks good. Today was the first time driving it (just moving it forward to get on the trailer) since fitting the engine and the gear change isn’t quite right, it’s cable operated and I changed it slightly when I fitted the engine and now the throw isn’t right. I’ll sort that then it should be done from my end. Given the weather and lockdown there’s not much of a panic on though!