Guy in limerick jailed for 164kmh.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That is seriously harsh!

Must be more to this than is being reported.

Seems bizarre indeed. Something either being misreported or kept secret about it all. Either that or the judge was blocked or something and thought it was a different case.

johnm

RMS Regular
It's the same as here, over 100 is automatic licence gone.

That judge sounds like an absolute idiot though, I don't fancy jail so I'm slowing down lol.

I thought it was 120? No?
Ah well.

I was caught down there a fair bit over that and just got a bollocking & fine. Unless it's changed a lot in the past few years?

Same here, and on those ones in limerick and cork. Maybe northern reg and the car at the time helped with that though.

If that became standard approach, I wouldn't be for stopping lol

lightning

RMS Trader
OP
lightning
Drives
volvo 740
Seems bizarre indeed. Something either being misreported or kept secret about it all. Either that or the judge was blocked or something and thought it was a different case.

It would appear that under the new rules that anything 30kph above the posted limit is an automatic dangerous driving charge, which you can be locked up for.

New speeding laws proposed in Ireland

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
I know someone very close to me caught at 186kmph.. went to court, the right solicitor had him 5points and a 250€ fine.

I kid you not lol couldn’t believe it

A friend got arrested for driving at 187kph a few years ago. No consistency.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I love the way the go to reasoning for high road deaths is always speeding, like how realistic is it to think maybe speeding along with an ill maintained unsuitable vehicle or even an idiot behind the wheel being the fault as opposed to the speed

plenty of people speed with zero destruction and death, then you take a look at the likes of the autobahn or IoM where the roads are unrestricted, if some roads are ok for ridiculous speed why can't others be.

Don't even get me started on posted speed limits in the South, why is the M50 100kph, a 3 lane perfectly visible motorway, when country roads share the same limit, why can a truck do 90kph yet a car with much more maneuver ability and stopping power can only travel at 120 ^o)

Speed limits are arbitrary and a way for governments to rake in money, yet were the criminals....

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
A friend of mine got arrested and jailed for the night with court the next morning for overtaking a car and driving over chevrons with his Jeep and trailer!!!! 800 Euro fine in court the next day and sent on his way........

garyo

RMS Regular
How many ads on that site? And answer a survey to read? Do one.
Didn't notice any ads or surveys myself, unless I'm missing something, but I'm sure you get the jist anyway from the title...

Five members of a family who had claimed a total of €190,000 damages for car accident injuries abandoned their claims after a barrister’s interrogation.

Driver David Joyce (34) had claimed his car was rear-ended at a T-junction on a back road from Ashbourne to Swords in June 2009. But when Mr Joyce, of Wotton Bridge, The Ward, Ashbourne, Co Meath, stepped out of the witness box after detailed probing by John Martin, counsel for Liberty Insurance, he walked away from his €38,000 claim.

He was joined by co-claimants Wayne (32), Marie (31), and Tracy Joyce (36), all of the same address. The fifth claimant, Roseann Joyce (29), of Morgan’s Place, Blanchardstown, Dublin, also abandoned her claim at the court’s lunch break. All of them claimed they had suffered injuries when David Joyce’s car was allegedly rear-ended on June 13, 2009. “Or was it a month later on the 13th of July?” Mr Martin inquired. Some of Mr Joyce’s passengers had given that date in their claims.

Mr Joyce, a vehicle recovery driver and owner of the two-year-old BMW in which the claimants were travelling, was unable to recall but he thought it could have been July.

“And what time did this accident happen at?” Mr Martin continued. Joyce said it was about 9.30pm. He said he could not recall if he told his doctor it happened at eight o’clock. On further questioning, he said it was dark but not pitch black. “Dark but not pitch black at 9.30 on an evening only a few weeks from midsummer’s day?” Mr Martin said. Mr Joyce said it was certainly dark by the time the whole thing was over. He added it was about 9.30 when he got out of his car and immediately called the emergency services.

“Two ambulances, two fire engines and gardaí turned up,” Mr Martin said. “A witness from the fire service will tell this court they received your alarm call at 10.40pm”. Mr Joyce replied: “OK.”

When told by Mr Martin that expert motor assessor Mark Nangle would tell the court there were no marks on either of the two cars to indicate even the slightest collision, Joyce said: “My car was undriveable.”

All of the Joyces had brought claims against motorist Mihail Creciun, of Abbeywood Avenue, Lucan, Co Dublin, who was a customer of Liberty Insurance.

Their recovery for damages was curtailed to €38,000 each under the court jurisdiction as it existed prior to being updated to €60,000 in 2014.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.