Halfords Changing Industrial Tool Chest Design

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
To be fair, tools are for using, not for looking at. It is bloody handy to be able to find them though.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
Less chat, more toolbox internal photos.

More/better ones to come, when project get all the crap tidied so I can actually get a car in the garage is complete...

DSC_0060.JPG
DSC_0061.JPG

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Where did you get the little red dividers?

I didn’t realise others had an appreciation for such things too. I’ll get a couple of snaps of the inside of my cabinet when I get home tonight.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
Where did you get the little red dividers?

I didn’t realise others had an appreciation for such things too. I’ll get a couple of snaps of the inside of my cabinet when I get home tonight.

They're individual storage trays, much better than dividers. Took me ages to figure out the best use of space with all of those, was like playing Tetris

My OCD loves a nice organised chest - look forward to the pics!

Last edited:

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
They're individual storage trays, much better than dividers. Took me ages to figure out the best use of space with all of those, was like playing Tetras

My OCD loves a nice organised chest - look forward to the pics!

upload_2018-8-8_9-31-19.png

Although I get the feeling we are inviting someone posting their £10k snap on just to set the bar through the roof!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I had cantilever boxes for years which were my dads until we got burgled one night and cleared out. He claimed on the house insurance but in reality got very little as this was in the early to mid 80's and tools were not a big thing on home insurance policies back then. Real pity as he had tools from when he was an apprentice mechanic in the 30's. I've still got some straight edges and internal/external calipers etc but I started buying my own kit in the late 80's and my then girlfriend now wife bought me a Talco tool chest. I've been buying stuff ever since as and when I've needed different things for jobs on newer cars.
for an apprentice?
i had a cantilever carry box at time served

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Sealey.

There’s a matching Sealey plier kit, but it’s £180 odd too and I’d only use 2 of them! Can’t help but want to complete the set though!

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Mega bump, I’m after an industrial bottom box in short. I’ve the full stack of industrial boxes from a few years back, but keen to do something similar to @Cooper with the worktop over the bottom cabs. Not sure if the new advanced bottom cab is the same height or not :/

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
There's a lip around the sides that stands 858mm off the floor (with caster wheels on the box)

The actual top of the box (flat bit) is 840mm from the floor

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Great thanks Lenny.

@Cooper - is that an IKEA worktop you have across? How have you affixed it sensibly to the top of the tool box cabinets? As there is the lip at the top that sticks up 20mm or so

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Great thanks Lenny.

@Cooper - is that an IKEA worktop you have across? How have you affixed it sensibly to the top of the tool box cabinets? As there is the lip at the top that sticks up 20mm or so
It’s actually a big laminate piece from JHC Hardware as IKEA don’t do the length.

I just screwed on some lengths of wood in the top insert (screwed to the underside of the worktop) and sprayed them black, so it rests properly on the body of the tool chest and keeps them from moving. Also strapped the worktop to the back wall.

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
It’s actually a big laminate piece from JHC Hardware as IKEA don’t do the length.

I just screwed on some lengths of wood in the top insert (screwed to the underside of the worktop) and sprayed them black, so it rests properly on the body of the tool chest and keeps them from moving. Also strapped the worktop to the back wall.
Thank for that, that was what I expected. Looks great though.