Handbrake insufficient reserve travel

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Pretty much yes. Just means it's right at the top of travel to get sufficient force to pass the test.

Airhead

RMS Regular
From the testers' manual - reasons for rejection:

b. When the brake is fully applied there is no possibility of further travel of the lever because the lever is:

• at the end of its working travel on the ratchet, or

• fouling adjacent parts of the vehicle.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I had this once where the bite was almost as soon as you lifted the handbrake which I thought was a good thing but obviously not.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Pulled up at the house today, jumped out opened the boot and the car started rolling away from me.

I usually always leave it in gear as my handbrake is awful.

RevT

RMS Regular
My E90 is the same, was just about to get out and go in for a pizza earlier that I had ordered before realising the thing was rolling away as I forgot to leave it in gear.

genman

G
Did you notice the amount of travel.... general old school rule was begin bite at 3 or 4 clicks and be fully on by 6 or 7....though not every ratchet system travels the same.
I've seen some cars with the handbrake almost vertical and the owners thought it was ok.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Aye it goes way back alright. Will nip it up at the lever end and see how that goes.

Cheers.

garyhoker

RMS Regular
Drives
honda
don't just adjust the cable at hand brake / realease the two 10mm nuts jack up remove rear wheels adjust the inner handbrake shoes until fully turn back one click then adjust the handbrake cable at 10mm ends ....

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Yeah as above you really should make the adjustment at the shoes, if it doesn't have a manual adjuster you can usually easily fit one off another model or car. The adjustment at the cable end in the car is just to take slack out of it really

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Yeah I'm well acquainted with BMW handbrakes unfortunately. Have a caliper to-do on it as well so will sort the lot.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.