Harry’s Garage: Tesla Model 3 Performance review.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Great review! I see the price of these has jumped a few grand already. Something like this surely had to be an ultimate (albeit not cheap) daily.

Reactions: DC.

DC.

RMS Regular
OP
DC.
Drives
VW Golf GTI
As Harry said the Long Range version without the self driving option would make the most sense for a daily. Glad he didn’t bang on about the 0-60 time etc like every other review. He makes a good case for owning one if you can afford the outlay.

Charging setup is impressive.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I thought it interesting that his conclusion of it that although he was very impressed but it but he wouldn't buy one as he felt no connection to it and compared it white goods. He was particularly impressed buy the Tesla charging network and that's not relevant here.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I thought it interesting that his conclusion of it that although he was very impressed but it but he wouldn't buy one as he felt no connection to it and compared it white goods. He was particularly impressed buy the Tesla charging network and that's not relevant here.

I think they appeal to people who don’t give a crap about cars and just see them as a necessity, and there are a LOT of those sorts of people around.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I think they appeal to people who don’t give a crap about cars and just see them as a necessity, and there are a LOT of those sorts of people around.
I get what he means, EV cars are all very similar in Power train which is a lot of the car experience.
I've driven a Tesla M3 and a Nissan Leaf and a few others in between and there's not much difference............ They all just have a motor, no engine layout, different number of cylinders or aspiration

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I think there has been a growing segment of the market that wants an “add to basket” car purchase. That’s been encouraged by cheap lease deals, not just EVs.

I’m sure there are RMSers who have just ordered a lease down to the price alone and never sat in the car until it was dropped at their door. That’s A-B motoring purchased on spreadsheet requirements. And to be honest that’s fine by me. Bangernomics at a certain level. Motoring to a budget.

I get what he means, EV cars are all very similar in Power train which is a lot of the car experience.
I've driven a Tesla M3 and a Nissan Leaf and a few others in between and there's not much difference............ They all just have a motor, no engine layout, different number of cylinders or aspiration
Harry isn’t in a car world of mere mortals. His life has been changing car keys on a daily basis to some of the most exotic and talented vehicles in the world. The part of me that loves that, has made me an Evo reader for a long time and is why I have a Lotus.

However, I also have to get to work. Make work related trips. Get groceries. Buy paint. Sit in traffic. That’s where the daily comes in. Be it a 2 grand Saab or a 40 grand Tesla. It has to be competent in carrying out mundane tasks. Carrying kids and buggies.

That being said if it is extremely quick, has the ultimate in tech, costs substantially less to run and does all the above as well. Then that does make it a good car.

I’m not sure why you think they drive the same as a Leaf for starters is fwd and the Tesla is a rear or awd setup. The Tesla has significantly more torque and a huge powerband in comparison. They drive quite differently (I’ve driven a 2020 and a 2012 leaf, and Model S in comparison).

My daily is a near 2 tonne 640d which makes daily driving a complete dream. Huge torque, readily available power. Sounds like frig all. How can a Tesla Model 3 not be a perfect next step? (Except I cant man maths buying one... yet!)