Harry's Garage Video Thread

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4

Valid points. One of the reasons I'm not keen on going EV yet is not only range, but battery efficiency years down the line.

Hopefully hydrogen gains some traction in the next coming years.

But the politicians will still have us in milk carts, regardless of what the industry say, let alone customers.

Surprised he went for a RR Sport diesel given the issues with DPF oil dilution.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Watched the video. He’s right in that they don’t work for him, and that’s fair.

Some of his points though that I’d nitpick at.

The Range Rover comparison for diesel vs PHEV is flawed if not silly. First cost 95k, he puts 20k deposit and apr is 9.9%. Second one the diesel cost 85k, he puts 25k deposit and apr is 5.9% so of course there will be a difference. They’re also different performance points in the range too. No one would take a 540i and be surprised a 520d comes in cheaper with a bigger deposit thrown on top.

On family cars chasing horsepower and being too expensive, citing the Taycan and others. There are a number of ‘normal’ BEVs from the likes of Kia not doing that. There is though merit in a large number of EVs being hugely overweight cars being punted out at mental prices instead of the smaller, more efficient cars the market needs if they want to increase that marketshare.

Battery degradation. Definitely a factor to consider but he did pick the extremes from the list and overlooked charge cycles and mileage, instead focusing on their age. Yes the Kia had lost by the other guys calculations a not insignificant amount of battery capacity but it has done nearly 1000 battery cycles. The Nissan over 1000 battery cycles (and early Leaf’s had flaws in managing the thermals of the battery). The Mercedes EQC was an uber/taxi and had done 234,000 kilometres in 2 years and had been through over 500 charging cycles.

He does have imo a vested interest in plugging his choice. He's a consultant for JLR which isn’t mentioned and JLR right now don’t have anything overly competitive in the EV space. He’s also very keen in plugging that Sustain fuel. Always manages to feature in a video, either being talked about or placed prominently in the background.

tl;dr EVs right now work for some, and not for others. They don’t work for him but he’s not your average car buyer or user by a long stretch.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Crikey, did some heretic heathen swear in church again 😅

He was a bit ranty, I'll grant that. But the actual points I think make sense.

Happily everyone can make their own choices about what makes sense for them.

For now at least.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Cant be bothered typing out a whole thought out post on harrys thoughts, but personally I have zero interest in electric cars but I also dont hate the idea and they do make sense for what I think is a very small portion of the uk.

But I do not think any EV onsale today is the future for cars, and the government are blindly pushing them as the saviour for climate change.

Be it inefficiency (consumption), charging loses, electricity sources, raw material sourcing, longevity, range, charger availability etc etc. They are simply flawed in their current form, its a cart before the horse job atm and thats why I believe alot of people are not sticking with them.

Having said that I can 100% see why so many are taken out on lease deals, cause it makes sense for the user / business and alot of people like them.

Ev’s are largely a luxury item and luxury people like convenience, ev’s are simply not convenient and despite all the stats etc, I think that is what will stop alot of people sticking with ev’s unless the improve fast.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I would say charging while at work or sleeping is pretty convenient and there are now a load of public chargers available since paying for use has been implemented. Its almost rare now to see a charger actually being used.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
I would say charging while at work or sleeping is pretty convenient and there are now a load of public chargers available since paying for use has been implemented. Its almost rare now to see a charger actually being used.
100% and thats why they are gd at doing the same shortish commute everyday.

But when u decide to head to a hotel for the night you have to stop at the applegreen on the way and enjoy the culinary delights of kfc, then the hotel doesn’t have a charger so u have to sit for an hour in some random council car park the next day.

You’ve been out at clients all day and haven’t been able to charge, but you’re heading over to a friends house for dinner so you just arrive at the door with your charger lead in hand? Or be an hour late cause you’ve had to sit charging?

And yes u can get a public charger but its as expensive as petrol, and its all thought that isn’t required with an ice or even phev car.

EV’s outside the regular driving is a bit like lpg tbh, im happy to plan my route via a station and happy to stand at the pump for 5mins rather than 2, but a major part of why it never took off here was people dont like the inconvenience, and charging is so much worse.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Shortish driving is the vast majority of the public. People massively overestimate the distances they need to cover with regards to range. The average UK journey by car is 8.4 miles.

For those examples above which are not the norm, it’s fine that an EV doesn’t suit them right now. Right tool for the job, and they aren’t it. By 2030-2035, we’ll likely be there or thereabouts.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Shortish driving is the vast majority of the public. People massively overestimate the distances they need to cover with regards to range. The average UK journey by car is 8.4 miles.

For those examples above which are not the norm, it’s fine that an EV doesn’t suit them right now.
Again I agree on the above, but im talking about whether ev’s are the way forward basically as a replacement for ice cars not whether they suit a small portion of people and ultimately I think that means they aren’t currently upto the job or even anywhere near it.

What % of people that are covering less than 8.4 miles as their regular drive have a driveway to charge an ev? From memory the uk overall is around 60%, ignoring the countryside (or more than 8 miles from a major town/city) id expect that number to be significantly lower, an those areas are the ones that suit ev’s best.

When most people buy a car they dont want it to only work 95% of the time, it can be a bit small for the 5% of the time or a bit big but not basically useless. If anything people often buy the car that covers the 5% so it can do everything. How many 7 seater on the road have 7 people in them? How many convertibles have the roof down etc.

And that’s before we talk about winter range etc, I could rant all day lol

All the above is solved by something like a bmw i3 rex and for me that is closer to the future. Although even that makes little sense eco wise atm.