Has anyone taken an Enduro or MX bike and made it road legal?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

M4TT

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI Mk7.5
Just wondering how many here have done it? Something I've been considering, especially with a load of decent enduro's coming up on gumtree for reasonable prices (some already road reg'd and just needing a bit of TLC).
How practical is it? I wouldn't be commuting or anything like that, I've a car for commuting and generally getting from A-B, this would literally just be for the craic.
Im aware an enduro is the best route to go down as its already wired up with front lights etc and have a larger tank so thats the most likely route I'd take but need first hand opinions from people who have done it.
Essentially turning an enduro/mx bike into a road legal supermoto.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
I know this doesn't answer the question at all but why not buy a road legal supermoto?

The negatives I can see are the hastle of trying to register it then insuring it afterwards.

M4TT

RMS Regular
OP
M4TT
Drives
GTI Mk7.5
I know this doesn't answer the question at all but why not buy a road legal supermoto?

The negatives I can see are the hastle of trying to register it then insuring it afterwards.
Cos its pretty difficult to find them here in the used market lol :worried:

slag

RMS Regular
There doesn't seem to be much for sale at the minute over here anyway..

KTM 640 LC4 Supermoto Prestine Condition

late 2008 suzuki drz 400 sm{ in as new condition }

Depends what you are after, building your own will give you a more focused bike but it won't be cheap! Buying one already converted will save you a load of hassle and money. Alot of the manufacturers 'supermotos' are diluted and overweight, although they have their advantages too such as larger fuel tanks and less frequent servicing.

I had a XTX it was a big heavy pig but great for an everyday bike more of a street moto really. Plenty of good ones on the mainland, well worth a trip over.

2007 KTM 690 LC4 SUPERMOTO, MOT NOV'14, TAX MAY'14, F/S/H, HPI CLEAR

2007 (07) Suzuki DRZ 400 SM-K7 398cc Black - SUPERMOTO

honda CRF-R 450 supermoto road legal not a CRF-X or, suzuki drz, yamaha wr.

Or if you're feeling dangerous..

1999 Honda cr 500 supermoto road legal / road registered rebuilt

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I had an 04 WR450 supermoto years back with Talon wheels, Maxxis wets, FMF system, supermoto front mudguard, hand guards etc. all road legal.
Insurance was £90, it was quick enough and had a top speed of 110mph but felt dangerous at that speed due to the weight..........110kgs
It was a great bike for back roads and wheelies but if you actually wanted to go anywhere at a constant throttle at any speed it was not pleasant so much so that after about 6 months I didn't use it much and sold it, I had a 900 Hornet at the same time though. Think of a 450 mx bike on the road.............great fun for a short time.

KTM LC4's are heavy............DRZ400's are slow..............KTM 690 might be worth a look

Buy an Aprilia Tuono instead.

M4TT

RMS Regular
OP
M4TT
Drives
GTI Mk7.5
I had an 04 WR450 supermoto years back with Talon wheels, Maxxis wets, FMF system, supermoto front mudguard, hand guards etc. all road legal.
Insurance was £90, it was quick enough and had a top speed of 110mph but felt dangerous at that speed due to the weight..........110kgs
It was a great bike for back roads and wheelies but if you actually wanted to go anywhere at a constant throttle at any speed it was not pleasant so much so that after about 6 months I didn't use it much and sold it, I had a 900 Hornet at the same time though. Think of a 450 mx bike on the road.............great fun for a short time.

KTM LC4's are heavy............DRZ400's are slow..............KTM 690 might be worth a look

Buy an Aprilia Tuono instead.
You kinda sold the idea of a supermoto to me there tbh lol.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.