Has anyone tried to clean the back of their wheels before?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rik

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E46 M3
Went and bought a jack and axle stands today, got the wheels off, scrubbed and scrubbed using the strongest household products available to man. But results are crap, only done part of one wheel, not going to bother doing the rest if I cant get better results, I even tries acid on them, altho I'm unsure how strong the acid was, not very because I got it on a cut on my hand and it didn't sting anymore than water

DSC00509.jpg

What should I try?

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
clean them all propperly and spray the inners black lad...

Looks like thats how they have been in a previous live!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
i'd get the thinners out and rub them with that then prime and paint black !

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
or try wonder wheels from halfords

worked well on my brothers and gf's 206 rims and my old clio rims :laughing:

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Does look like they've been painted black previously. You can see where it looks like the black paint has peeled off the spoke in the top right corner and has left the silver underneath it.

Steveo@modifiedni

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3/Triumph
I cleaned mine the other day - ive only had the car for 5 months but previous owner had over 15k miles on it without a single big of cleaning to the back end of the wheels, i use a power hose, loads of fairy liquid well scrubbed in and then the power hose again, not great results but A LOT better than I thought it was gonna be!

focus_rs_jonny

RMS Regular
Drives
Datsun
if you want to make them a bit smarter but dont want to spend much, try cleaning them well even with something abrasive, then polish them with a rotary buff and compound and spray with a wheel silver aerosol. just seal it well after. ive new aerosols that colour if you need one

Rik

RMS Regular
OP
Rik
Drives
BMW E46 M3
I want the back silver not black, otherwise I could have just left it :worried:

Thinners were tried before I took that pic

Could spray them silver but dont wana ruin them if colour isn't a great match or if it starts to peel in a few weeks

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Nitromorse mate if it stripped the skin from my hands should be grand on that blackness?

Looks like the wheels are quite pitted, try working it it with the softest wirewool you can find.

Thing is with taking the black off you're taking the clear coat/laquer off too and leaving the wheels open to corossion etc.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I would say alot of that looks well and truly baked on.

I had a thread on it a wee while ago, though my wheels where nowhere near as bad.

At present my car shampoo lifts it all off without a problem, but thats because I keep them clean.

However I did find that upon their first clean, most of the baked on crap was removed with elbow grease.

My top tip for things like that are to use Cif. Though it seems you may have tired that.

As focus_rs_jonny says, try polish. My last resort would be to try a wheel cleaner.

Moo

Drives
EG6 SiR
autogym traffic filim remover! it will take it straight off not a bother! i use it all the time even when washing my car! gets every lil bit of crap off! just let it soke in!

linty264

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica GT
Try some petrol, spray it on and leave for half an hour scrub and wash off and repeat until silver again. (y) And if that dont work wonder wheels should if u leave it on for a while.

D4LY

RMS Regular
Drives
HOME ON A BOAT
rik i get you some stuff outa work that will sort that out , but for the longterm you be better painten them

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Marc said:
i clean the backs every week on my car.. its a right pain tho :worried:
i used to do the same on my last car as i could get my hands through the spokes to do it (i also polished them every time i polished to car, sad i know) i now olny do it once every 3 month or so but it usually comes up all right. i do however use petrol to strip everything off and then quickly wash it off with warm soapy water.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Baz C said:
concrete cleaner, i have some u can use if need be

this is the gear ;) pure acid that will sting your eyes once you pour it onto the rims LOL

a hot power washer would be needed for perfect results also !

Rik

RMS Regular
OP
Rik
Drives
BMW E46 M3
Uncle has a hot power washer, and baz lives about 15 ft from me, so think i'll be sorted soon enough :laughing:

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Paintbrush and a bottle of thinners generally sorts that out for me.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.