Headlight Restoration

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Hi folks,

Looking some advice/guidance/opinions on headlight restoration and kits

3 kits I've identified are
3m - 3M 39073 Headlight Lens Restoration Kit to Restore Dull/Faded/Discoloured Headlights Amazon product ASIN B0078IHJ1KMeguairs - Meguiar's G1900KEU One-Step Car Headlight Restoration Kit for oxidised & yellowed headlights Amazon product ASIN B001O7I7FSAutoglym - Autoglym Headlight Restoration Complete Kit Amazon product ASIN B015OOVIRA
Am I missing something or would it just be the same as buying a velcro drill attachment, sand paper and some compound?

I don't think any come with a sealant either. Is this another step to consider?

If anyone can provide any review of these kits or has some alternative tips they can post below would be ideal.

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
I have the Nu Lens kit, similar to what you describe, several light papers Velcro’d to a drill head and then a refining compound. There are also new “wipes” that claim to remove discolouration, but I haven’t any experience of those! You then need the lens “sealed” with a UV resistant product to slow/stop a reoccurrence!

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I used the Autoglym one and it worked very well. However the effects only lasted about 18 months and the headlights were dull again. Maybe should have used some kind of sealer.

Reactions: ALN

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Armour all wipes win the Auto Express headlight restoration test, for what that’s worth.
I used the meguiars kit in the past, very impressed.

Reactions: ALN

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Hi folks,

Looking some advice/guidance/opinions on headlight restoration and kits

3 kits I've identified are
3m - 3M 39073 Headlight Lens Restoration Kit to Restore Dull/Faded/Discoloured Headlights Amazon product ASIN B0078IHJ1KMeguairs - Meguiar's G1900KEU One-Step Car Headlight Restoration Kit for oxidised & yellowed headlights Amazon product ASIN B001O7I7FSAutoglym - Autoglym Headlight Restoration Complete Kit Amazon product ASIN B015OOVIRA
Am I missing something or would it just be the same as buying a velcro drill attachment, sand paper and some compound?

I don't think any come with a sealant either. Is this another step to consider?

If anyone can provide any review of these kits or has some alternative tips they can post below would be ideal.
I’ve tried Turtle Wax, Meguiars and 3m. Turtle Wax and Meguiars were crap and 3M was fantastic. Recently used the 3M again on the Omega and got fantastic results.

3M doesn’t come with a UV kit though, so would maybe need to look at getting a seperate coating kit.

For reference purposes, the Omega before:
ACD643E9-DA00-4877-864C-D44577583B74.jpeg

And after:
6EF34C43-F126-4553-809A-AF29D38018F4.jpeg

Last edited:

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I work my way up the different grits with wet and dry sandpaper and soapy water then compound and polish with the DA. UV protection afterwards is more important than anything or they'll usually dull again pretty quickly. A coat of gtechniq c4 does a real good job and lasts.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
I've used and sold many of these kits over the years. Best I've seen and used the holts kit. Comes with protection for after sanding.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I did the headlights on my van recently as there was no beam pattern at all for MOT

Just used some generic light buffing compound and a buff. Then some Mer polish afterwards.

Is it perfect ? will it last ? probably not, but do any of them ? But it made a hell of a difference for a few minutes easy work.

I did buy a packet of the Armoral stuff supposedly to restore and protect, which had a couple of cloth thingies. They made a total mess and ended up buffing them again.