Headunit

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ali619

RMS Regular
So I'm looking for a new headunit for the wifes MK5 golf. I'm lost in the audio game, it's all just gone past me.

She is looking for a DAB headunit as she misses listening to Kiss FM & Kisstory since moving from London to here

Besides the DAB requirement it needs to have an AUX, USB and also play CD's (obvious I know, but there are alot of non CD playing DAB radios you can get)

Preferably a single din, but I wouldn't say no to a doublin din if it meets all the above criteria.

In terms of price probably around £150 excluding any fascia's needed or DAB antennas

Any help would be appreciated

Cookie Munster

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo / Forza
Have a Sony MEX-N6001BD fitted and covers everything your after. Front mount usb and aux, dab radio, CD also Bluetooth for mobiles. Display colour and brightness is customizable so can be made to match you dash if desired

On offer in Halfords at the minute as well for 115 so well within your budget

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah

ali619

RMS Regular
OP
ali619

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
The more I look at the dash on the MK5 the more I am thinking a double din would fill that space nicely.

I spotted the Kenwood you mentioned @Cartunes last night and it looks well but I have narrowed it down to 2 options;

DPX-7000DAB Double DIN DAB tuner with CD / USB & Bluetooth

FHX840DAB CD Tuner with Bluetooth, USB, DAB/DAB+ and Spotify Connects

The Pioneer has the Spotify function which the Mrs uses on the regular but then it states it also requires a antenna, CA-AN-DAB.001

Good stuff. I'm a fan of the Pioneer brand myself - just be warned and please don't buy from the Car Audio Centre - bunch o sharks with very poor business ethics and practices.
I have bought from caraudiodirect.co.uk , but they are 15 quid postage to Norn Iron if you buy from their website - if you buy from them on ebay, it's usually free

Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security would be my other choice for buying Car Electronics

Pioneer DAB Antenna: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo - this is the active DAB antenna - which should be better than the passive one I use. Just make sure to select active DAB in the head unit menu.

This is the new model of mine, which has performed flawlessly for nearly 2 years. It took me a long time to get to grips with all the functions and features.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hea...uble-din-dab-bluetooth-direct-control-dvd-usb

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What about getting an RCD510 DAB unit and MDI for USB/Ipod? By the time you factor in fitting/wiring kit for the aftermarket, it wouldnt work out much more.

ali619

RMS Regular
OP
ali619
Good stuff. I'm a fan of the Pioneer brand myself - just be warned and please don't buy from the Car Audio Centre - bunch o sharks with very poor business ethics and practices.
I have bought from caraudiodirect.co.uk , but they are 15 quid postage to Norn Iron if you buy from their website - if you buy from them on ebay, it's usually free

Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security would be my other choice for buying Car Electronics

Pioneer DAB Antenna: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo - this is the active DAB antenna - which should be better than the passive one I use. Just make sure to select active DAB in the head unit menu.

This is the new model of mine, which has performed flawlessly for nearly 2 years. It took me a long time to get to grips with all the functions and features.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hea...uble-din-dab-bluetooth-direct-control-dvd-usb

Thanks for the information Derek, think that will probably be the one I will end up buying her that. I see I can purchase the headunit on amazon so I'll probably persue that.

I will bookmark that active DAB antenna and buy that alongside the headunit

I remember the days when I wouldn't mind spending £600/£700 on a headunit now I dread to do so!

What about getting an RCD510 DAB unit and MDI for USB/Ipod? By the time you factor in fitting/wiring kit for the aftermarket, it wouldnt work out much more.

I haven't thought about that. Will probably research that more later on after work

there is a pioneer double din in the classifieds - @Ashton is selling iirc

I seen that but it doesn't meet my needs :worried:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.