Help needed with car stereo

FN2TypeR

RMS Regular
Hi folks,

I have a 1999 vw polo estate. The radio doesn’t seem to work. It is getting power it just won’t switch on. It lights up when I put the lights on etc. If I turn the rear window heater switch to in the radio lights up also.
I am thinking some dodgy wiring maybe.

any suggestions? It’s the original vw radio in it still. I will be replacing it but I want to get this one working to test speakers etc before I go buying more bits and pieces.
Thanks in advance!
Feel free to call and have a look at it I’m only in finaghy 😂

cheers.
D

FN2TypeR

RMS Regular
OP
F
I was thinking that. My guess is that it’s wired wrong. The lights come on but no ones home.
With it being the original does it need to be another vw to test it in? I’m a complete newbie with these things.

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
It probably needs an ignition live .. if you cross the red and yellow and it works you’ll need to get an ignition source to it

ps

check the red at the plug is going to a red
And yellow to yellow etc if no cable out to the radio that’s why

FN2TypeR

RMS Regular
OP
F
Cheers mate. There’s 2 plugs going into the back of the radio with wires attached to them. And then the aerial just.
Like I said I’m a complete no0b 😆

eamon343

RMS Regular
One plug will be for speakers, it will be full of purples and blue and stuff. Other one will be for power, so will have a permanent power feed, a switched power and earth. If you look up the wiring diagram for it it will be straight forward enough. Make sure the powers and earth are working ok

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
One plug will be for speakers, it will be full of purples and blue and stuff. Other one will be for power, so will have a permanent power feed, a switched power and earth. If you look up the wiring diagram for it it will be straight forward enough. Make sure the powers and earth are working ok
He’s only in Finaghy Eamon away run down and fix it... while your at it call by mine and grab him a new radio 😬😂