Help Removing Gearstick Surround Trim on MK7 GTI Centre Console

daz8161

RMS Regular
The gloss black trim around the gearstick on my GTI is very badly scratched and even tried polishing the scratches in situ and only made it worse. Is there a way this trim can be removed without removing and replacing the entire centre console? Plan is if it can be pryed off I could try and polish the whole piece properly or paint it.

Hoping someone on here has done this and can point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• 20210102_192023.jpg
    20210102_192023.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 88

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Should be able to pop it off from the ash tray end, maybe even has a couple of torx screws.

I’ve had mine off in both my 8P and 8V S3’s and the Q5

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
Hmmm I searched ebay for a replacement and seen some parts which had the cupholder trim and the gloss part removed. It looks like it could maybe be pryed off?

Attachments

• 20210103_124302.jpg
    20210103_124302.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 60

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Yeah it does looks like it pops off in that image. Maybe have to remove that entire piece to get access though.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I removed ours and certainly didn’t need to strip the whole thing. Sadly I can’t remember what it entailed but it wasn’t a big job.

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
hmmm might have to get a trim removal tool and just attack it in situ then, really dont fancy removing the whole console!

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
Well tried using brute force on the glossy part and only managed to pull up the 2 ends and cant seem to pull the rest of it up and out of the tab holes. Was it hard to get that piece out from your memory?

gsmith

RMS Regular
@daz8161 have you lifted the gear gaitor out of the way? Iam nearly sure there is a few tabs in either corner when you’ve them pushed in Iam nearly sure it just lifts out with minimal effort? I remember seeing some of the guys on the Gti forums talking it.

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
@gsmith I didnt actually, might try that and see if I can see any tabs. It looks like i need to remove the trim surrounding the cupholder portion first as it seems to sit over the end of the glossy portion. Do you have any links to the discussions on the GTI forum? Tried a few searches and couldn't find much on it.

gsmith

RMS Regular
Was on the Facebook pages. If your on go and search some of the Gti pages. Usually get the odd d1ck but most are helpful.