Help with Citroen Xsara 1.6 Petrol No Crank on Start

daz8161

RMS Regular
Wondering if anyone could chime in with some advice or even recommend a good mobile mechanic in the East Belfast area to help with my dads car which wont start?

Car is a 2000 Citroen Xsara 1.6 Petrol. Car was starting fine and only recently it had the odd time where it was cranking a bit chuggy and slow to fire up but once it did it started grand again if i turned the car off and restarted straight away.

It had a new battery about 3 months ago, electrics all fine and work ok so I dont think its the battery. Ignition lights come on when I turn the key but then when I turn the key further to start the car there is only a short buzz but theres no crank or noise from the starter at all. Even tried the spare key but same scenario.

Any idea what the issue may be, starter motor seized?

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
Its parked on a kerb with loads of speed bumps around so think I'm going to have to get a mechanic out unfortunately. Rang a chap there who said he will come out tomorrow and suspects its the starter motor too

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
So got a new starter and the car now starts but sometimes it will just crank and turn over but not fire up.

If the car is left overnight or for longer periods between driving it will start fine, but today I drove it literally 5 mins down the road to put petrol into it and when I got back into the car it wouldnt start again, just cranked for about 2 mins.

It has new spark plugs fitted, new battery and a new starter motor. Any ideas what could cause this issue?

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
Bump. Still haven't got to the bottom of the intermittent starting issue. Sometimes the car starts on the button but other times it just cranks and cranks and wont fire until I push down on the accelerator pedal.

I also noticed that sometimes when driving the cars revs would hang or stay high rather than drop when I put my foot on the clutch. In some instances when idling the revs would just shoot up then settle down again after a few seconds.

So far I've had the coolant temperature sensor changed and throttle body cleaned. Suspect that it might be an idle control valve but any other things I could check?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Bump. Still haven't got to the bottom of the intermittent starting issue. Sometimes the car starts on the button but other times it just cranks and cranks and wont fire until I push down on the accelerator pedal.

I also noticed that sometimes when driving the cars revs would hang or stay high rather than drop when I put my foot on the clutch. In some instances when idling the revs would just shoot up then settle down again after a few seconds.

So far I've had the coolant temperature sensor changed and throttle body cleaned. Suspect that it might be an idle control valve but any other things I could check?
Idle control valves do give bother on them, not dear to buy and 2 wee bolts hold them on. They're pretty simple donkeys but unfortunately old enough that they aren't OBD2.

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
Any codes? Is the crank sensor OK?

Hi no fault codes cars obd is very basic with no live data. Not sure about crank sensor but a few topics online seem to point towards the idle control valve.
Idle control valves do give bother on them, not dear to buy and 2 wee bolts hold them on. They're pretty simple donkeys but unfortunately old enough that they aren't OBD2.

Thanks might try a new idle control valve for it first

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo

Fuel pump? I has a nightmare with a 1600 saxo trying to diagnose intermittant starting and cutting out. a bang on the top of the tank sometimes fixed it but a new fuel pump cured it.

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
Hmmm worth a try if the ICV doesnt work I suppose. Ordered an ICV hopefully get it fitted later this week.

Sham1

RMS Regular
You mention that sometimes the car won’t crank until you press the throttle pedal.
Is this always the case?
you also mention that sometimes the car revs on when you press the clutch.
sounds like something related to the throttle pedal, throttle body, or idle control valve.

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
You mention that sometimes the car won’t crank until you press the throttle pedal.
Is this always the case?
you also mention that sometimes the car revs on when you press the clutch.
sounds like something related to the throttle pedal, throttle body, or idle control valve.

The car sometimes cranks and cranks but doesnt fire up until i push down on the accelerator. Doesnt happen all the time, sometimes it will still start without pushing on the accelerator but will take ages to fire up.

Yea I've also noticed that every so often when i push the clutch in coming up to traffic lights the revs will stay up before very slowly coming back down to idle.

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
Changed the ICV and that seemed to have solved the issue for a couple days but now I'm getting the cranking but no start until I push on the accelerator again.

I think it was working well until I thought the ICV mounting screws werent in tight enough and after screwing them down more it seems to have reverted back to hard starting. Maybe all in my head but surely this wouldnt have caused any issues?

Also, when it finally starts, the revs seem to hang at about 2k for about 5 seconds before dropping. Any ideas?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Could you have upset the plug or wires when you were tightening it. Or over tightened it and it’s not sealing right.

daz8161

RMS Regular
OP
daz8161
Not too sure, might take it off again tomorrow and take another look at it. Inside the area where the ICV plunger goes into had some carbon build up in it, is that normal?