Hidden DAB aerial

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Has anyone had any joy or know of good dab aerials that are not the usual screen stick on things? Or cost 3 figures! Trying to hide as much as I can.

From a quick read these splitters from your OEM aerial are not the way to go as the reception feed isn't as good?

This is for an aftermarket headunit just to be clear. TIA 😀

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Use the screen one and put up with it is my advice our Kid. Unless you want to spend the money on a body mount, which would be my preferred choice. I've had the splitter in my last car, but the trouble is that if the original aerial isn't tuned for the DAB frequency range, it'll do very little.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Use the screen one and put up with it is my advice our Kid. Unless you want to spend the money on a body mount, which would be my preferred choice. I've had the splitter in my last car, but the trouble is that if the original aerial isn't tuned for the DAB frequency range, it'll do very little.
This. Or if you have tinted windows you can always stick the screen mounted one on those as they’ll hide it better. That’s what I’ve done in the e46 Touring, stuck it to the near side rear quarter window beside the C-pillar. That way I only see it when I’m in the boot, although even at the I don’t notice it.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
A few pics for reference, excuse the fat baldy bearded cnut, no idea who he is.... :joy:
637B9E9E-36C3-4D15-A268-E30A8AAA744A.jpeg
26D7E5A0-AA13-44E4-94FA-047A69A84CDB.jpeg

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
OP
DaddyCC
Drives
VW CC
Yeah funny the more I read into these getting a replacement aerial seems to be the best sounding option 😒 These seem to get a good report..

Amazon product ASIN B0739XWBN7

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Yeah funny the more I read into these getting a replacement aerial seems to be the best sounding option 😒 These seem to get a good report..

Amazon product ASIN B0739XWBN7
I have something similar. Bought it for the Corsa but never installed it and I didn’t fancy drilling a hole in the roof of the Beemer, free if it’s any good to you?

9061150C-2DB2-41BC-875E-858649BAED20.jpeg
3F281CF1-4DA5-45F7-8B35-C298BEA71E3D.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Great to meet you and have a socially distanced chat. Was a bit surprised at the hug, but hey ho. 😁😁😁👍👍
Thanks again, Brian.
Cheers
Cooks
I was just surprised at you groping my arse during the hug! 😂

Yea good to meet you as well Niall. Let me know how you get in with that aerial.

Brian

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
OP
DaddyCC
Drives
VW CC
Just for future reference for anyone searching... As per Del's advice, I bought the Eightwood DAB aerial from Amazon as above (since cRooks nabbed in for Blackies lol 😝) and installed this a few weeks ago and so far it's been great. I tested without connecting to live and DAB gave me 11 stations, wired in to live I have a lot of options, too many that I couldn't be bothered counting lol. I even pick up Cool FM better on standard FM radio where I live.

Fitment thankfully was basically as OEM on my MK4 Golf in terms of the roof (I don't know if all cars are like this across the board). Size of the aerial is basically the same (Inc base). Taped the wiring together to make it easier to feed the wiring through as much of the existing holders along the roof and then took down the A pillar tapping into the radio live for power.

PXL_20201004_115608082~2.jpg

PXL_20201004_132110204~3.jpg

PXL_20201004_142129291~2.jpg

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
Anyone have any experience of any of the retrofit sharkfin style dab antenna kits, want to go roof mounted external on the van as I don't like the screen mount but don't want to gain any height above the roof bars as I can still get into 6'6 carparks

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Anyone have any experience of any of the retrofit sharkfin style dab antenna kits, want to go roof mounted external on the van as I don't like the screen mount but don't want to gain any height above the roof bars as I can still get into 6'6 carparks
(proper) Length gives strength in radio reception. When it was my business to research these things, no-one had a decent Shark Fin DAB antenna on the market. As the waves involed aren't small, then you might be better using a Mobile Phone & App as your audio source then link to bluetooth on a head unit (or plug into the AUX jack)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I am planning on fitting a Pioneer DAB unit to a 2010 Passat and am in a quandary over what route to go for the antenna. There are positive reports online for both a windscreen mounted antenna, and also the likes of this splitter from Connects2;

Any thoughts?

The splitter would save having to source an additional fakra antenna adapter for FM, though I can't remember the last time I used FM in a car so could be tempted just to ditch it.

Just to add, there is no roof mounted aerial so its not an option to fit 1 of the aerials posted previously.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
After trying the aerial above, I went down the splitter route, and it's been perfect. Not quite as good as a factory set up (I lose some signal around the bottom of Newry Street in Banbridge) but otherwise it's great!

alan_c

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
I retro fitted the factory DAB module to my 2011 Golf and it's been great. No roof aerial on mine, it replaced one of the antenna modules that sit in behind the trim on the boot lid. Had to feed a new dab cable through the car and it works great with my Kenwood. I didn't have much luck with the splitter though. Always the option of just streaming the radio station too

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
After trying the aerial above, I went down the splitter route, and it's been perfect. Not quite as good as a factory set up (I lose some signal around the bottom of Newry Street in Banbridge) but otherwise it's great!

Interesting! I've pretty much settled on the windscreen option though. I have had good success from it in the past, plus I read somewhere that if the FM signal isn't currently that good, chances are the DAB won't be better either. Mine is a bit hit and miss at the minute so would hate to end up poor DAB.

Got a camera ordered today, and head unit is due any day now. Just need to get the finger out and order the fitting kit.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
The screen mounted aerials have been hit and miss for me tbh. The adhesive failed, and tore the little copper ribbon which earths to the A pillar. Third time lucky (I hope)