HID's, what is the current situation legally?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
First off all I apologise for reviving a topic but I've done a bit of a search and the last threads I can find seem to start and finish in 2013.

From the gist of what I've read the DVANI have stuck to their idiotic guns and simply said "tough lad, deal with it!" regardless of the rule/law being passed after many (mostly jap) cars had been manufactured with HID/Xenons as either standard or a factory option.

I know that the VOSA on the mainland changed their wording which allows many cars to have them fitted.

Is it still illegal unless cars have self levelling headlamps (except for cars fitted with sports suspension) and have headlamp washer jets?

If so I presume there was never a coordinated effort at petitioning the DVANI to change the wording?

Now that the DVANI have all but moved their HQ to Swansea do we not now fall under the mainland rules and therefore VOSA rules?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
No UK car ever had HID's without washers etc though. It seems all the problems are with imports, but yes it is stupid and the rules still apply and yes it is only here it applies, not the mainland who did alter their wording.

And Nothing to do with MOT testing in Northern Ireland has moved to Swansea, and VOSA do not exist anymore, it's DVSA

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
In NI, if you have HID bulbs fitted, you must have projector headlights, self levelling system and headlight washers, it's as simple as that, although, if you get a tester with some common sense, they have been known to let the headlight washer requirement slide and they can't test for self levelling.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Thanks for the info. I have a set of Vectra b xenon headlamps, but as far as I'm aware the Vectra b didn't come with auto headlamp levelling, on headlamp washers.

Also has the confusion around "sports suspension" been cleared up? My Vectra is an SRi so technically a "sports" model?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Aye its a SRI itll be grand. Just make sure the other bits are there.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
there is uk cars with hid lights as standard that didnt come with washers. Vectra being one of them. Very easily fitted if you wanna go down that route but think you will slip threw under the
'Sports suspension' loop hole.

Last edited:

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
No UK car ever had HID's without washers etc though. It seems all the problems are with imports, but yes it is stupid and the rules still apply and yes it is only here it applies, not the mainland who did alter their wording.

And Nothing to do with MOT testing in Northern Ireland has moved to Swansea, and VOSA do not exist anymore, it's DVSA

Totally disagree. Every official UK EVO 7-9 with Hid lights fails mot for this . A Japanese manufactured car yes. But it is technically an official UK car they are now saying isn't road legal in the form it was sold.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Totally disagree. Every official UK EVO 7-9 with Hid lights fails mot for this . A Japanese manufactured car yes. But it is technically an official UK car they are now saying isn't road legal in the form it was sold.

They kick up about VW emissions....and nobody kicked up about this then ? lol

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Just to dig up an old relevant thread...

What's the craic with cars and the sports suspension bypassing the need for self leveling headlights? Is this because any weight shouldn't tilt the car to the sky allegedly?

So if you fit sports suspension, retrofit xenon headlights and fit some sort of washer you're good to go?

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Just to dig up an old relevant thread...

What's the craic with cars and the sports suspension bypassing the need for self leveling headlights? Is this because any weight shouldn't tilt the car to the sky allegedly?

So if you fit sports suspension, retrofit xenon headlights and fit some sort of washer you're good to go?

Yeah you can get around it as long as you have sports suspension and some sort of washers. I know of a couple of people who have done this with modified cars and got away with it.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Must depend on the tester. The MINI has OEM xenons with self levelling and washers but the washer pump stopped working and the MOT tester told me he could have failed me but let me off with it. I did get it fixed soon after but wouldn’t want to risk failing an MOT over something so trivial.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
My Impreza passed with a simple t-piece into the washers for the windscreen and some tubing taped to the top of the headlight. The tester was actually joking with me about it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Everything is tester dependent.

Although I'm sure I seen notes to the English MOT that at some point, if not already that retrofitted HID's will not be accepted in any case.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden

Near sure pre facelift accord type r’s didn’t have the washers?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Everything is tester dependent.

Although I'm sure I seen notes to the English MOT that at some point, if not already that retrofitted HID's will not be accepted in any case.
Yeah, but in England you can get an MOT without the car even being there for a few extra quid. Remember, most garages can do Mot, I lived in a rural part of England for ten years and you could collect your MOT cert at the local over a pint.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Near sure pre facelift accord type r’s didn’t have the washers?

If there was any fully legit UK car that didnt have them, then pretty sure you'd have a very good argument at MOT time, along with a letter from the manufacturer.

But it seems that most cars that dont follow their silly rules were Jap or imports from other regions.

Are aftermarket HID headlights legal in the UK? Will they pass an MOT? What about LED headlights? | Greyhead.co.uk

Not sure if it did actually come into force yet though

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.