High mileage 2.0 TFSI, headache waiting to happen?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
So I’ve been offered an 8P A3 SLine for the Accord with the 2.0 TFSI lump which has 180k miles and loads of service history.

I know these engines have problems with cam followers and carbon build up on the valves.

However I’m wondering at this mileage is it likely to be a headache waiting to happen or what?

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Is the Honda not more reliable lol?

Depends on the work completed. If it’s had an intake blast, serviced well then I would go ahead. Listen for turbo rattle when reving from standstill, cam follower is easily replaced, but a test drive will give you better idea. No harm no fowl.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’ve had reasonably good luck with a few of them. Niggly things going but nothing overly expensive and not difficult to do. Mind you they were on about half that sort of mileage. Worth a look to see. They’re really good on the fuel and quite punchy too.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Is the Honda not more reliable lol?[/ruairi83]
I’m not sure, that’s why I’m asking lol.
Depends on the work completed. If it’s had an intake blast, serviced well then I would go ahead. Listen for turbo rattle when reving from standstill, cam follower is easily replaced, but a test drive will give you better idea. No harm no fowl.
Yea I suppose a test drive might be a good idea.
That not a fair step down interior space wise? could be wrong
Again I’m not sure what they’re like space wise. I’m slightly disappointed with the Accord as it’s not as big in the passenger compartment as I’d hoped it’d be. Boots maahoosive though.

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
I would stick with Honda. I have a 2007 A4 which is a 2 litre petrol engine. I had a Lexus IS220 before that. More reliable and better build quality and in 3 years I owned it. Parts for Audi are not too expensive, but I have fired a lot of money into the A4 over 3 years of ownership compared to 3 oil changes and a set of brakes pads on the IS220.
Just to add - the A4 I bought it 3 years ago with 80k on it and a FSH, and it now has 100k on it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
So I’ve been offered an 8P A3 SLine for the Accord with the 2.0 TFSI lump which has 180k miles and loads of service history.

I know these engines have problems with cam followers and carbon build up on the valves.

However I’m wondering at this mileage is it likely to be a headache waiting to happen or what?

Presumably either the problems have already occurred and repairs have been noted in the history ? Either that or they're just around the corner if they're really a problem ?

Mackers91

RMS Regular
I've recently bought a Octavia VRS with the 2.0 TFSI engine. It's got 132k on it and suffering from needing the intake cleaned.

As others have said cam follower, pcv, diverter valve all things I've bought to change on this. Some suffer from oil usage which I suppose you wouldn't really know about until you've owned it for awhile.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
I've recently bought a Octavia VRS with the 2.0 TFSI engine. It's got 132k on it and suffering from needing the intake cleaned.

As others have said cam follower, pcv, diverter valve all things I've bought to change on this. Some suffer from oil usage which I suppose you wouldn't really know about until you've owned it for awhile.
I'd be surprised if Blackie kept a car long enough to top up the washer fluid.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Plus side to owning one of those A3s is theres always boys breaking them. My octavia vrs was on its second engine when I had it, first one broke the cam chain, second one was an Audi s3 donkey with all bills and invoices, was seriously sharp but loved oil and could be thirsty. My Jetta had a Revo map on it, was quick with the dsg box but loved oil and never bettered 30 to the gallon.
Also the thermostat gives bother and its a ****ing disaster picture to sort on the TFSI on top of the coking issues, cam tappet, oil strainer, pcv, turbo actuator rattle.
Saying that, at 180k, it'll be a gem or on its last legs🤣

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Id say if it all checks out and has been well maintained it should be fine. No harm having a look.

I had one several years ago and it was a great car.
Stage 1 Revo, Intake with a BCS system. Went really well.

Excuse the watermarked photo.

D4AF1CE7-6946-4538-B211-25848786E2DE.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Id say if it all checks out and has been well maintained it should be fine. No harm having a look.

I had one several years ago and it was a great car.
Stage 1 Revo, Intake with a BCS system. Went really well.

Excuse the watermarked photo.

View attachment 346284
That looks tidy to be fair! And yea I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I hope to see it tomorrow all going to plan.

On the size, I should’ve mentioned it’s the 5dr “sportback”(?) model. Oh and it’s an S Line Black line model as well.

Boksic

RMS Regular
Go for it if it drives well enough?

Sure 5 minutes will sort the miles out... 😂

And if you change motor this early in the year, chances are you'll get to change again come summer time 😁

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Must be an honest enough motor. I'd have thought most 180,000 mile Audis are running around showing half that on the clocks....

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Well, it’s been radio silence since yesterday evening from the guy. Could be innocent but I have awakened this morning with serious second thoughts….

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I'd be asking why someone would want to make that exchange. Accord twice the car reliability wise.
That is the thought currently running around my head. The Audi in my mind would be worth more, in fact he said he had it list at over £200 more than I’ve the Accord up for, yet he’s willing to do a straight swap?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.