High mileage 2.0 TFSI, headache waiting to happen?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
It has got electrical gremlins. No central locking and a possible failed window regulator.

A quick Google suggests these are prone to either lock module faults in the drivers door or broken looms between the door and body….

eamon343

RMS Regular
It has got electrical gremlins. No central locking and a possible failed window regulator.

A quick Google suggests these are prone to either lock module faults in the drivers door or broken looms between the door and body….

Few wee issues like that are grand, give you something to tinker with and will add a few quid to the car when they are fixed and you sell in February

Boksic

RMS Regular

Window regulators failing are common on A3/golf etc, I haven't looked recently but they were always cheap brand new on eBay?

I'm sure central locking won't be anything too major either, but still a hassle you might not want.

Plenty on here including myself with vagcom/carista etc should you need it too.

hitandamiss

RMS Regular
Drives
Nothing
Second what's been said about the oil consumption, had a Leon FR Tfsi and had been starved of oil by previous owner resulting in new camshaft needed. I also needed 5ltr fully synthetic oil every few months, that only had ~70k miles too!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

Both easily enough sorted IMO.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
well thats what he is admitting to in fairness
tbf I think that makes him sound a decent sort cause both could very easily be missed on a test drive, as said above its devs a risk but ignoring miles its surely an upgrade especially if you have a bit of profit in the Honda, would normally worry about resale with the miles but an A3 should be easily sold here.

On another note I saw an LPG 530i E60 on Gumtree the other day and thought it was a pure @Blackie car, non M-sport but looks a decent car and 6 Cylinders > 4.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Are the A3s the same as the vws where the car leaks and drowns the module and leaves you with a complete electrical nightmare to sort the locking.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
tbf I think that makes him sound a decent sort cause both could very easily be missed on a test drive, as said above its devs a risk but ignoring miles its surely an upgrade especially if you have a bit of profit in the Honda, would normally worry about resale with the miles but an A3 should be easily sold here.

On another note I saw an LPG 530i E60 on Gumtree the other day and thought it was a pure @Blackie car, non M-sport but looks a decent car and 6 Cylinders > 4.
I hear you but at the same time alarm bells are going off in my head over it. It also has a shorter MOT, by a month. Which gives me a month to sort out any issues, too tight for time for me.

I think for once I’m going to listen to that alarm bell.

That 530 sounds like me alright! Lol

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
I hear you but at the same time alarm bells are going off in my head over it. It also has a shorter MOT, by a month. Which gives me a month to sort out any issues, too tight for time for me.

I think for once I’m going to listen to that alarm bell.

That 530 sounds like me alright! Lol
Aye go with the gut lol

Been up a good while, blurred reg always rings bells for me though even if its just they are a bit dim haha.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Already got a £150 discount on her too.
Mind you if you think an A3 could pull your pants down a big E60 would tear them off altogether.

pablo

RMS Moderator
a cheap E60 would give me nightmares. vag stuff is great because parts are usually cheap/easy to get from a breaker, and vcds is cheap and easy to use to find problems. the bmw stuff is a bit more complex

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.