High mileage cars, at what point does it scare you

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Annoyingly NI attitude is >100k = scrap, but then you look at how much people are looking for a 10 year old A4s and wonder who the hell actually buys them?!

Personally I think there is a lack of decent cars in this kind of price bracket compared to a few years ago. Dunno if it's people trading in or using a car buying service but the usual places just seem to have more and more overpriced ***** advertised.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I think high miles is a badge of honour, especially when you've put them on the car yourself. I've now got 144,000 on my car and want to reach 200,000 at least, but that will take another 5 years at least and the car will be 20 years old by then.

As for buying a high miler, the main thing that puts me off are the prices; I'm there's no way I'd spend 15-20 bloody grand on a 5 year old VW or Audi derv with 80k miles on it!

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
I’m quite shocked by some of the comments in this thread and didn’t realise so many car people had an issue with a car with higher miles!

All of my dailies I’ve owned have been over 100k miles and haven’t had any issues that wouldn’t crop up normally.

As said before. Buy on condition. The condition of the car never lies.
Nothing beats a good honest car imo

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
For me it depends on manufacturer and era, and intended use, some marques have went through golden spells.

E.g. 90's Toyota & lexus, audi and late 90's vw's to name a few were brilliant quality, I'd have absolutely no reservations picking up a high miler in good condition

A mid 00's vauxhall not so much

Bryan

RMS Regular
On my last company car it was brand new in 2014 and by 2017 it had 87k miles on the clock. It was fit for another 100k but that would have been a "high miler" at only three years old.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
think i got my x5 with 135k on it and she flicked over 182k last week, well serviced and maintained, runs aswell as any other! Intend to take her all the way.... to clearways when it gives up finally

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Mileage really doesn't bother me at all.

I tend to buy on condition and generally what is bought is to be kept long term.

My E34 is now on about 183k and hasn't given anything in the way of bother. I'd rather buy something higher miles that's clearly been looked after than something that's got low miles and has barely ever even got up to temperature.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
actually just on the subject, whats reasonable miles to expect from a bmw m57 engine? 300k?or more?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
My rangie has 260k on it, drives spot on.

Have ran many high mileage stuff with no issue, usually any time I have bought low mileage stuff is when I have had issues

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I normally buy a low mileage car around 3 to 5 years old and run it til it can't run no more. 100k wouldn't scare me if it's backed up with service history and the car hasn't got a bad reputation in the trade ( consumer reputation means nothing to me as they are mostly fairy-tales ). If I were to believe the hype, then my Porsche would have died due to IMS bearing failure and my Astra would be an ex-Astra as the injectors gave up and the coolant has ran away. Legitimate service history with documentation is more precious than a cheap lottery ticket to me.

My Astra has given me 3.5 years service and has only needed a glow plug on top of regular maintenance. It turned 101k last week, 49k miles in my ownership including a winter mostly parked up in Gothenburg.

Last edited:

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
197500 in an x3. Serviced sometimes and neglected quiet a bit. Still starts everything and only broke twice on me. Cam sensor and a starter. Mileage used to scare me until I had a new Hyundai i40 which was always breaking down and giving grief. X3 never misses a beat, I don't doubt she will dung her pants at some point but it happens.

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
I bought the Volvo very cheap with 96K, not much history but was clean inside and out. I was able to fix the few issues it had for sub £400, there's 144K on it now and I plan to run it until it won't MOT anymore.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I'm yet to find the upper limit.

388k and still drives better than a brand new transit or transporter.
20190111_172752.jpg

Gonna be some craic if i ever decide to sell. Still fresher looking than most other abused 10 year old vans on the road.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
depends if its a toy or a beater........

Toy - i like low ish miles... unless i bought very cheaply.

beater... really don't care.. although my mental limit is 200K miles.... in that i wouldnt buy anything that is likely t end up with/close to 200K as i just wonder where you'll go with it... i looked/considered a few 170K mile cars recently.... but in the end bought one with 149K !! barely run in hey !! :grinning:

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
I find that a lot of cars have a rough spot around 120-130k when major components such as clutches / flywheels and suspension seem to reach the end of their design life. This can give the impression that high milers give a lot of trouble, but once you get through this and replace the worn out components it's onwards and upwards, currently driving an 07 320d m sport with 157k. Hoping for 200k

Also depends on the car - those mid 00s 1.9tdi VAGs all seem to be well fit for 300k

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Loving all these high miles here, bought my e90 with 159 on it, and it's near on 204 16 months later. I actually have a wee bit of respect for the thing (don't get this confused with treating it with respect)
Now that’s the mileage you need a diesel at, not the clowns who buy one and do 30 miles a day then wonder why they get dpf and egr problems.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
For me it depends on manufacturer and era, and intended use, some marques have went through golden spells.

E.g. 90's Toyota & lexus, audi and late 90's vw's to name a few were brilliant quality, I'd have absolutely no reservations picking up a high miler in good condition

A mid 00's vauxhall not so much
My Insignia is on 215,000 on its original clutch and flywheel.

I've done 62,000 in the last 2.5 years in it.

But then it's maintained properly and fastidiously. Its bodywork is a bit tired, but no rust everywhere and the interior is perfect.

Everything works.

NotKG

Banned
there was a fella in bangor 15yrs back had a million mile merc.
merc offered him any merc car for it.
wasnt worth £200.

i never heard if he struck out on a new slk or something.
it was in local paper at the time too.
it had an intense service history and a couple of head gaskets in its day.
iv a mate had a Honda Pan with over 300k..
my pan is 12 yrs old, and 10,500mls on it. a pinch to his.

engines run on good clean fuel and serviced are doing great miles nowadays.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.