High mileage cars, at what point does it scare you

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I’ve a service kit sitting here for it that I never got around to using if it’s any good to you? Also a hatch boot liner taking up space too.

Is it the same as the 2.2? What all is in the kit?

I’ve the boot liner in mine although the dog box I’d on top of it mostly

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
2005 2.2L HDi C5 anyone?

C435DED3-B4C0-4B79-BEC1-B0E82878B792.jpeg

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
all depends on the type of car, Think the most ive ever had on a car is around the 140k Mark...

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
My old Cavalier TD had 403k on it when I sold it. Had one clutch in it's lifetime and the engine was never apart. They don't make them like they used too anymore...

Deleted member 13907

D
I don't really have an issue with high milers.
I used to do a bit of work for a used car dealer who sold ex-fleet cars - you know the type "just out of England, motorway miles, etc"
They were generally all less than 3 years old, with big miles, but most of them drove like new cars - pedals, gearstick, etc. were usually still quite stiff (in the way a new car would be). They all came with full service history, etc. and I'm not aware of anyone having issues with them after buying off him. He would have sold the odd trade-in as well (but sold most of them to trade) and they were the only things that gave issues. He had a lot of repeat customers, buying a high-miler, driving for a year, selling on (probably not taking much of a hit price-wise) and then buying another high-miler off him.
In saying that, I've sort of turned full circle. I live 30 miles from work (60 mile round trip each day) and rely on my car to get there - no options for public transport, etc. I also travel regularly with work, so would be driving to the airport at 5am, etc. So again, I rely on my car a lot, to do my job and pay the bills. For this reason, I decided to spend a considerable amount of money (by my standards) buying a fairly fresh car, with low miles (less than 30k). I wanted something that I would have some confidence in and also that I could sell on (in NI) in 3 years time or whatever, with a minimum of fuss. I could have spent less on a similar car, or even a newer car, with more miles, but I just felt that for my circumstances low mileage was the sensible thing to do. In saying that, it was the spec that really attracted me to the car I ended up buying - I would have been happy to buy something with 10k more.
On my previous 2 cars, I ran into issues at around 70k miles. On my Leon, the EGR/DPF/etc. all went at around 70k miles. On my Focus ST, the driveshaft went at around 70k miles. I think around 70k miles is fairly common to be looking at things like clutch, flywheel, etc. so I know that's likely to crop up during my ownership of this car...or I might be lucky and never have to touch anything.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Ah, the old 100k N.I fear! I dont get it myself. The cleanest car ive ever owned (bar something new) is 19 years old with 90 odd thousand mile on it.
Condition and how its been treated are more important than the miles imo, theres some ***** about with low/average miles too that hasnt seen an oil change in years and has more hits than the beatles.

I think it's both that and a touch of mileage snobbery (no offence anyone)

Some people like (or need) to have a new car every few years for a number of reasons. One of which I have noticed in a few people I've met, and I'm not thinking of anyone on here, is that they just like having new things. But then they like to talk about their new things.

JH86

RMS Regular
Miles dont bother me as such

Way i see it is i cant paint or do body work, there for if i car is in very good condition and at the right money in can do any mechanical work with ease

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
If its purely a toy/investment i can see why some might want low miles, but it needs to be low miles and mint.
In saying that my summer car doesnt have what would be considered low miles in NI now, but it is in its 20th year.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
I think it's both that and a touch of mileage snobbery (no offence anyone)

Some people like (or need) to have a new car every few years for a number of reasons. One of which I have noticed in a few people I've met, and I'm not thinking of anyone on here, is that they just like having new things. But then they like to talk about their new things.
Funny you say about mileage snobbery; I went to look at a Passat about 5 years ago and the boy had it advertised with 125k on it. When I went to look at the car there was about 65k on the clock. I asked what was the craic with the difference in mileage? His response was he clocked the car because it looks better when someone that he is giving a lift to looks over and sees 65k rather than 125k.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.