Hints + Tips

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
I've recently started valeting as a 2nd job from home part time from about the end of January.
Happy enough with how things are going so far but wouldn't mind some tips from you guys.

I know there are quite a few valeters and enthusiasts on here, Just wondering has anyone any hints and tips that you have picked up from cleaning cars/your own car over the years that we could share

j44nty

RMS Regular
Great thread. I take into my cars once a year for a paint correction and deep clean and then regularly clean every week. My tips for what they are worth

Wax (fusso soft 99 for me) make car cleaning a breeze for a few weeks.

A steam cleaner takes all the hassle out of grubby interior plastics, hard to clean areas like button edges and chewing gum/sticky sweets

Fabric softener diluted 1/5 spayed on pet hair the wear a nitrile rubber glove and run the surface lifts pet hair super easy and leaves carpets in great order.

Auto finesse triple as well as a great polish also makes a fantastic glass cleaner

When some waxes and tcut products are hard to buff off a run with polish let’s them glide off

Quick detailer lighted misted over a waxed or polished panel shows up areas not buffed off (useful on white and silver)

Rubbing down door rubbers with wd40 stops them freezing shut in winter

Wd40 is great for cleaning door shuts and boot shuts all materials.

Diluted baby shampoo makes great lubricant for clay baring

Tyre shine and plastics are easier coated with a paint brush then buff off with a micro fiber after

Don’t use fabric softener washing micro fibers

Can’t think of anymore but I’m looking forward to reading other folks tips.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Great thread. I take into my cars once a year for a paint correction and deep clean and then regularly clean every week. My tips for what they are worth

Wax (fusso soft 99 for me) make car cleaning a breeze for a few weeks.

A steam cleaner takes all the hassle out of grubby interior plastics, hard to clean areas like button edges and chewing gum/sticky sweets

Fabric softener diluted 1/5 spayed on pet hair the wear a nitrile rubber glove and run the surface lifts pet hair super easy and leaves carpets in great order.

Auto finesse triple as well as a great polish also makes a fantastic glass cleaner

When some waxes and tcut products are hard to buff off a run with polish let’s them glide off

Quick detailer lighted misted over a waxed or polished panel shows up areas not buffed off (useful on white and silver)

Rubbing down door rubbers with wd40 stops them freezing shut in winter

Wd40 is great for cleaning door shuts and boot shuts all materials.

Diluted baby shampoo makes great lubricant for clay baring

Tyre shine and plastics are easier coated with a paint brush then buff off with a micro fiber after

Don’t use fabric softener washing micro fibers

Can’t think of anymore but I’m looking forward to reading other folks tips.

Must give the pet hair tip a go myself, huskies leave hair everywhere!!!

Other tips look good too

bora-gav

RMS Regular
OP
bora-gav
Drives
VW/SKODA
I actually have soft99 fusso and KOG and was considering selling them as I find them quite hard to work with.
Done my sister in laws a4 the other day with KOG and even tho it was hard work the end results were superb so I've changed my mind.
Have also bought the autoglym UHD wax, looking forward to using it

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
A proper waffle weave glass cloth, with the right cloth you can nearly just use water as cleaner and get the glass perfect.

Wearing proper clothing/footwear makes all the difference, especially if your out there for hours upon hours.

Air, whether it be from a compressor or pet dryer/sidekick blaster, it changes the game, used outside and inside the car it's awesome.

A seat for polishing etc, even an old desk chair. Look after your knees and back when you can.

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
I use the kitchen sponge scourers, sponge side obviously! Cut in half as disposable tyre dressing applicators. 20 pack from £ shop cut in half does 40 applications. Wear disposable gloves and at the end grab sponge, peal glove off over sponge and no mess!!!!

Decent wheel brushes are a good investment, as are the gardener kneel pads to save your knees!

Autosmart Finish as an engine bay / wheel arch / black plastic / interior dressing is superb. Very versatile, not greasy or silicon based , so clean and matte finish, it’s great

j44nty

RMS Regular
Kind of a hint and tip. I took delivery today of this little tool trolley. Chinese cheap ness at 24.88 on amazon but the purpose of it is to hold my car cleaning gear. Bear in mind I used to use a wheel barrow for this job at least I don’t feel as redneck now.
C67C1A51-6C9F-4662-B4CB-ED91B1E8003B.jpeg

B1CCE6F3-843E-41DB-A796-F2CB334DF6E7.jpeg

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Kind of a hint and tip. I took delivery today of this little tool trolley. Chinese cheap ness at 24.88 on amazon but the purpose of it is to hold my car cleaning gear. Bear in mind I used to use a wheel barrow for this job at least I don’t feel as redneck now.
View attachment 233384
View attachment 233385

That’s a bargain at that price!

I bought one from Halfords (albeit only two shelves) a few months ago. It cost me around £40 on the Trade Card. I use the lower shelf for the pressure washer, hose, lance etc and then use the top shelf for some products which I use every wash.