HIR2 Bulbs

Davytog

RMS Regular
Drives
GTD
Main beam out on an SRI Insignia, fitted with HIR2 bulbs. I'm nor interested in doing Xenon upgrade so does anyone have a recommendation as to what I could fit. In standard trim the lights are dire at night

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Ring do a +100% version of these bulbs.

Most factors will do them for less than £20.

Every Insignia driver complains about how bad the headlights are.
These won’t be anywhere near xenons but will be noticeably better.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Get some Osram Night Breaker Laser.

I think I have them in stock, will check when I get in to work later.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I know you said no HID, what about LED?

The guys on the Insignia Forums have been very pleased with these:

Amazon product ASIN B07MNWBK92
1611141170292.png

1611141196490.png

Images copied from a guy with the same as you.

He reports no canbus errors also

Davytog

RMS Regular
OP
D
Drives
GTD
Was that a simple plug and play or did the wiring need mods. From the picture it looks like the LED bulb has a flying lead with a male end to fit into the existing HIR2 connector on the car side.

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
The MOT rules have just been updated to automatically fail any vehicle that has been converted from halogen to Xenon or LED.

I was planning to fit LED's but cba with the hassle now.

Davytog

RMS Regular
OP
D
Drives
GTD
The MOT rules have just been updated

Whats an MOT? I think I heard some aul boy talking about that and going to a pub for a pint
:grinning:

Can the test centre pick it up from the light check or do they physically inspect. If its a simple plug and play and if the improvement is that good given the woefull lighting on standard fitting I would be happy to keep a couple of cheaper std HIR2 and swop in for MOT

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
Does the rules update not only apply to dipped beam bulbs? As this is a high beam replacement surely it would be ok?

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
Does the rules update not only apply to dipped beam bulbs? As this is a high beam replacement surely it would be ok?
It applies to the 'mandatory lights' so I'd assume that means full beam as well.

4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK

Edit to add: link above mentions that Xenon's should have DCR marked on the body or lens so I guess you could upgrade the bulbs if you also swap the entire headlamp units.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Was that a simple plug and play or did the wiring need mods. From the picture it looks like the LED bulb has a flying lead with a male end to fit into the existing HIR2 connector on the car side.
Thats exactly it, 5 mins for both sides.
These are single bulb headlights, so dipped and main are switched with a shutter like bi-xenon projectors.
Whats an MOT? I think I heard some aul boy talking about that and going to a pub for a pint
:grinning:

Can the test centre pick it up from the light check or do they physically inspect. If its a simple plug and play and if the improvement is that good given the woefull lighting on standard fitting I would be happy to keep a couple of cheaper std HIR2 and swop in for MOT
I change my entire headlights out every MOT haha, I can take the front bumper of my Insignia in about 3 minutes 🙃

Last edited:

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Thats exactly it, 5 mins for both sides.

These are single bulb headlights, so dipped and main are switched with a shutter like bi-xenon projectors.

I change my entire headlights out every MOT haha, I can take the front bumper of my Insignia in about 3 minutes 🙃
I wish my brothers was that easy... the lower mounts seem to have seized on his, was a right pig to get off lol

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
What, really?
I would say that would be a hard one to judge here if they are in projectors, as they aren't allowed to remove any covers - including the ones on the headlights.

In the case of the facelift Insignia, the Halogen and xenon headlights look physically identical both are single projector lights with LED DRLs.

Plug and play make it much easier to swap, for the benefits good ones give I would definitely still think it worth while.

I stopped being arsed covering up and disconnecting my lightbar a few years ago (comes on with main beams), I also have custom DRL/Fogs that I left on for MOT and frankly ridiculous reverse lights that help me reversing into my awkward shaped drive at night. And all passed no problems in November.

I am of the opinion I will try to get away with what I can, and if it fails on one of them I certainly won't moan about it. That's the risk I take.

Just to add, all my lights are properly fitting and cause no glare etc, except maybe my reverse lights. :-D

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-22 at 16.31.18.jpeg

Boksic

RMS Regular
What are the reverse light bulbs you use?
Her A6 is all standard lights etc but the reverse light is absolutely *****

I would say that would be a hard one to judge here if they are in projectors, as they aren't allowed to remove any covers - including the ones on the headlights.

In the case of the facelift Insignia, the Halogen and xenon headlights look physically identical both are single projector lights with LED DRLs.

Plug and play make it much easier to swap, for the benefits good ones give I would definitely still think it worth while.

I stopped being arsed covering up and disconnecting my lightbar a few years ago (comes on with main beams), I also have custom DRL/Fogs that I left on for MOT and frankly ridiculous reverse lights that help me reversing into my awkward shaped drive at night. And all passed no problems in November.

I am of the opinion I will try to get away with what I can, and if it fails on one of them I certainly won't moan about it. That's the risk I take.

Just to add, all my lights are properly fitting and cause no glare etc, except maybe my reverse lights. :-D

View attachment 309586

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
What are the reverse light bulbs you use?
Her A6 is all standard lights etc but the reverse light is absolutely *****
I fitted these

1611336543982.png

My car only had reverse light on one side, which annoyed me greatly.

Though I got my Brothers GF upgraded LED plug and play bulbs for her Alfa and they are very impressive too.

These are the ones I got her, it was the 2nd set I tried, first brand showed bulb out error

Davytog

RMS Regular
OP
D
Drives
GTD

@roverspeed

Bought the Novasight bulbs on Amazon and delivered in 48 hrs. Took 5 mins each to fit. No errors or issues, definitely a whiter light. Have'nt been out much on the country roads to judge but I would say overall they probably give a better pattern and coverage that the originals

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia

@roverspeed

Bought the Novasight bulbs on Amazon and delivered in 48 hrs. Took 5 mins each to fit. No errors or issues, definitely a whiter light. Have'nt been out much on the country roads to judge but I would say overall they probably give a better pattern and coverage that the originals
Happy days, hopefully they give a noticeable performance improvement.